The England Thread

Pilko

At the minute we're stuck in a bit of a hard place as we've not got a lot of players in their peak. Only Rooney and Parker I'd say are playing near to their full potential recently. The rest are either talented but inexperienced and/or young, or past their best. You'd like to think we'll be a lot better off in 2014 with Jones, Smalling, Bertrand, Walker, Cleverley, Ox, Wilshere, Sturridge, Welbeck, even Carroll having had 2 extra years of regular football. The biggest problem is there's no emerging holding midfielder looking like breaking through anytime soon, it's such an important position in international football and one we've been found wanting for as long as I've been following football properly.

Guest Shaun

At the minute we're stuck in a bit of a hard place as we've not got a lot of players in their peak. Only Rooney and Parker I'd say are playing near to their full potential recently. The rest are either talented but inexperienced and/or young, or past their best. You'd like to think we'll be a lot better off in 2014 with Jones, Smalling, Bertrand, Walker, Cleverley, Ox, Wilshere, Sturridge, Welbeck, even Carroll having had 2 extra years of regular football. The biggest problem is there's no emerging holding midfielder looking like breaking through anytime soon, it's such an important position in international football and one we've been found wanting for as long as I've been following football properly.

Jack Rodwell maybe?

Jack Rodwell maybe?

Doesn't play for any of the right teams.

Our second choice is Rob Green. Robert f***ing Green. Spain's fourth choice is David de Gea. We're so s*** man. :lol:

Because of 2nd and 4th choice goalkeepers that almost certainly won't be used anyway during the tournament?

Does depth not matter like? If Hart gets injured, we have to pick Rob Green or a 'keeper whose been playing in League 2 this season. If Casillas picks up an injury, they have the choice of three others who aren't a great deal worse than he is.

Could be done for pretty much any position. Rooney's out for the first two, we have to go with Carroll or Welbeck. Villa is out for Spain, they now have the choice of Torres, Soldado and Llorente. That's before even getting to the likes of Negredo.

Of course the squad depth does matter.

But it's not that often the case that goalkeepers get injured on major tournaments.

Yes, although you're quite unlikely to use four different 'keepers throughout a tournament, I read his post as a reference to the general strength in depth countries such as Spain have/we lack.

Jack Rodwell maybe?

I don't think he knows what his best position is tbh.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Jack Rodwell maybe?

Doesn't play for any of the right teams.

Hasn't stopped him playing for England already. His problem is he's always injured, plus he's not all that. Couple of Everton fans I know think he's average at best.

Our second choice is Rob Green. Robert fucking Green. Spain's fourth choice is David de Gea. We're so shit man. :lol:

Ben Foster and Scott Carson should be in there ahead of Rob Green.

Foster has taken 'indefinite leave' from International Duty, as he is a cunt.

Jack Rodwell maybe?

I don't see anything special in him. He looks distinctly average.

Our second choice is Rob Green. Robert f***ing Green. Spain's fourth choice is David de Gea. We're so s*** man. :lol:

I know your point, but our best striker pisses all over theirs. Not quite as one-sided as you're making oot.

I know your point, but our best striker pisses all over theirs. Not quite as one-sided as you're making oot.

Does he? Certainly wouldn't say he pisses over them but suppose it depends what you want from a striker. I reckon a fair majority of people would take Llorente over him but that depends on the system you'd be playing, etc.

Going through position by position, we don't compare well at all.

Course we don't, but keeping is the extreme.

Aye. :thup: Just find it sad that we can't produce a back-up 'keeper that isn't absolute dross.

Just be thankful that after years of David James, Paul Robinson, Scott Carson, Rob Green et al we've finally produced at least one top class keeper. :lol:

People go absolutely wild about England selection. Downing getting in the squad is ridiculous, of course, but even criticism of that is ott imo. I assume he'll barely touch the pitch, and certainly (at least I hope) won't make any real difference to how we do in this tournament. I'd have had Sturridge in for him but he's been very poor recently and was utterly wank in the first half when we played them. I feel sorry for Hodgson though, he's going to get beaten with some mental sticks (and no offence to those quoted, I don't necessarily disagree, just looking through this page)

I would make a few different selections (Johnson, Carrick, Richards) but that's more detail than wholesale philosophy.

Gutted that Wilshere isn't available.

Doesn't make the bench for City, Asked to be ignored if he wasn't first choice, all the fans love him but relentlessly ignored by international managers and reputed to be an awful trainer.

Jack Rodwell maybe?

Played how many games this season? And the last was when?

First one asked not to be considered and the second is awful.

I'm not trying to say I know better than any of the people I've quoted (I almost certainly don't), just trying to point out that it's basically a tallest dwarf competition when talking about who should have been picked. We may well be dump in this tournament but that's no reflection on Roy, I just dread the shitstorm he's going to get not just from the media but also from your average idiot in the pub who thinks the only reason we haven't won the tournament is because we took the wrong 3rd choice left winger.

I've articulated this very badly but a lot of things irritate me about the England team, mostly their "fans" (particularly those who stop becoming interested when they don't think they'll win the tournament) and the media.

Guest gggg

People go absolutely wild about England selection.

Indeed. Everybody knows and says we've got a shit squad, until it's announced when people go mad as if everybody left out are suddenly world beaters. It's hilarious.

No top players have been left out. Hart, Cole, Rooney is all we have and they'll all be in the starting lineup, after that you might aswell leave it up to the manager to decide who he'd rather work with and thinks would fit best into his system because they're all mediocrities ability wise.

I've seen so many pointless arguments about this squad player v that squad player when none of them will have any effect on the tournament, never mind irrelevant shit like the 4th choice goalkeeper.

People go absolutely wild about England selection. Downing getting in the squad is ridiculous, of course, but even criticism of that is ott imo. I assume he'll barely touch the pitch, and certainly (at least I hope) won't make any real difference to how we do in this tournament. I'd have had Sturridge in for him but he's been very poor recently and was utterly wank in the first half when we played them. I feel sorry for Hodgson though, he's going to get beaten with some mental sticks (and no offence to those quoted, I don't necessarily disagree, just looking through this page)

I would make a few different selections (Johnson, Carrick, Richards) but that's more detail than wholesale philosophy.

Gutted that Wilshere isn't available.

Doesn't make the bench for City, Asked to be ignored if he wasn't first choice, all the fans love him but relentlessly ignored by international managers and reputed to be an awful trainer.

Jack Rodwell maybe?

Played how many games this season? And the last was when?

First one asked not to be considered and the second is awful.

I'm not trying to say I know better than any of the people I've quoted (I almost certainly don't), just trying to point out that it's basically a tallest dwarf competition when talking about who should have been picked. We may well be dump in this tournament but that's no reflection on Roy, I just dread the shitstorm he's going to get not just from the media but also from your average idiot in the pub who thinks the only reason we haven't won the tournament is because we took the wrong 3rd choice left winger.

I've articulated this very badly but a lot of things irritate me about the England team, mostly their "fans" (particularly those who stop becoming interested when they don't think they'll win the tournament) and the media.

That's a really good post. My grievance is that the likes of Downing are never going to be any good (he was shit when Sven picked him in 2006) and we should be giving the 'tournament experience', even if that only amounts to one or two sub cameos, to someone who has the potential to be more useful than he is currently.

I agree, as I say I'd have had Sturridge in instead. But there aren't exactly any shocking omissions of players who look potentially brilliant. I'm trying to think of any exciting youngster who would have been good to take...and I can't think of one.

I agree, as I say I'd have had Sturridge in instead. But there aren't exactly any shocking omissions of players who look potentially brilliant. I'm trying to think of any exciting youngster who would have been good to take...and I can't think of one.

Shola.