The England Thread

Pilko

Guest Roger Kint

only caught half of Talkshite's drivel but I'm sure they reckon Walcott on the left.

That was Terry Venables' opinion not what they think.

Guest neesy111

Should be a belting game, glad we get to see Y Cabs and Barfa too.

How?  England have been dreadful to watch the 2 games which Hodgson has been in charge for, how will this change?

The only way I can see it being a good game in terms of entertainment is if France score early.

Same and that will mean big trouble for England imo.

Really looking forward to the game, mainly to see Cabaye and HBA against them. I can feel their excitement. Been counting down to this one since the draw was made.

Can see a lot of similarities with Holland vs Denmark.

Honestly don't know who I'll support until the game kicks off.

Just don't think I can get behind this Liverpool XI.

With Gerrard the only Liverpudlian to start today...

One too many, and Glen Johnson's a cert as well, expect to see Downing and Carroll too.

A selection of the worst players from a very average mid-table side, all because we must all remember all the time what a massive club they are. It's shameful.

Downing looks likely.

Rumor is ox n Millner

Guest MrSundlofer

Roy Hodgson told Stuart Baxter (currently working on a Swedish TV channel) he fears the French team and don't know how to stop them. England will probably play boring and very defensive and rely and counter-attacks.

Roy Hodgson told Stuart Baxter (currently working on a Swedish TV channel) he fears the French team and don't know how to stop them. England will probably play boring and very defensive and rely and counter-attacks.

Did he? That's crazy if true, very surprised he would say something like that.

Encouraging...

Can only see us going out at group stage, hope I am wrong but I think France and Sweden will qualify. Worrying if Hodgson said that like, I do think we will be very defensive and try to counter, which we may have some success at as France's defence is shaky. But I fear Benzema, Cabaye, Ribery and Nasri from games I have seen so far.

They have far more options on bench to open game up than we do

Guest Chubby Jason

One too many, and Glen Johnson's a cert as well, expect to see Downing and Carroll too.

A selection of the worst players from a very average mid-table side, all because we must all remember all the time what a massive club they are. It's shameful.

You really think that was at the forefront of Roy Hodgson's mind when he picked these players? That he'd risk ridicule and the sack just to tell the world that Liverpool are a "massive club"?

Downing looks likely.

Rumor is ox n Millner

Ox would be a good decision. He's very raw, but it's not as though our alternatives on the right are anything great, and in the absence of Rooney, we need someone who can turn on the unexpected.

Guest MrSundlofer

Did he? That's crazy if true, very surprised he would say something like that.

He also wanted some information about Sweden :lol: but Baxter "refused" to give him anything, according to him.

Downing looks likely.

Rumor is ox n Millner

Ox would be a good decision. He's very raw, but it's not as though our alternatives on the right are anything great, and in the absence of Rooney, we need someone who can turn on the unexpected.

He will prob play on left but agree he is unpredictable and better than Stuart Donothing

Guest Chubby Jason

I'd prefer us to start a front 3 with Theo and Young to either side of Wellbeck, but that won't happen so I can see the logic in playing Milner and Downing, it's all going to be about keeping shape and trying to hit them on the counter attack.

Guest MrSundlofer

On the other hand - Baxter also said Hodgson seemed to be very confident and didn't thought the injuries had weakened them that much.

You really think that was at the forefront of Roy Hodgson's mind when he picked these players? That he'd risk ridicule and the sack just to tell the world that Liverpool are a "massive club"?

Why would anyone select the worst players from the team that finished 8th?

Not one of those players should even be in the squad and they wouldn't be if they played for any other club.

Why would anyone select the worst players from the team that finished 8th?

Not one of those players should even be in the squad and they wouldn't be if they played for any other club.

Fair point. Probably Simpson, Guthrie or even Barton would be in the squad while playing for Liverpool.

Milner needs to play on the right or Ribery will tear Johnson apart. Chamberlain doesn't look anywhere near ready for this level anyway.

Milner needs to play on the right or Ribery will tear Johnson apart. Chamberlain doesn't look anywhere near ready for this level anyway.

Milner looked about the only England player to really create any chance against Germany at WC 2010 - then he was replaced. By Emile Heskey.