The England Thread

Pilko

Defoe's outstanding in that sort of position, edge of the box where he shifts it then bang.

:thup: On his day he is still f***ing lethal in front of goal.

Yep, never really get the stick Defoe gets.

Over exposure and his game is a bit dated in today's football.

Be the sort of player who, if linked with from abroad, a lot people would be going nuts with excitement.

My only reservation would be he's a bit short but his hold up play is still indefinitely better than it used to be a while back.

Never really understand why people seemingly write Defoe off. He's still a quality striker.

He's been nowhere in this game until it was put on a plate for him. He's a finisher and nothing else. He'll score the occasional sweet finish but other than that he's done at the top level.

Put on a plate. :lol:

In the sense that he was put through by Milner. It's not like he crafted that chance himself. Turned and finished, that's the extent of what he did there. Not good enough at international level in my opinion.

I don't disagree that he's not top level on a consistent basis. But you're using an example where he cut inside, made the space for the shot from 20 yards and smashed it in the top corner. :lol: It was hardly a great ball from Milner either. It was all about Defoe's quality.

Never really understand why people seemingly write Defoe off. He's still a quality striker.

He's been nowhere in this game until it was put on a plate for him. He's a finisher and nothing else. He'll score the occasional sweet finish but other than that he's done at the top level.

In the sense that he was put through by Milner. It's not like he crafted that chance himself. Turned and finished, that's the extent of what he did there. Not good enough at international level in my opinion.

I don't disagree that he's not top level on a consistent basis. But you're using an example where he cut inside, made the space for the shot from 20 yards and smashed it in the top corner. :lol:

Really don't think it was all that impressive tbh. The finish was great, but the defender could have done a lot better there. I don't feel like it was his skill that got him that space.

I don't disagree that he's not top level on a consistent basis. But you're using an example where he cut inside, made the space for the shot from 20 yards and smashed it in the top corner. :lol:

Really don't think it was all that impressive tbh. The finish was great, but the defender could have done a lot better there. I don't feel like it was his skill that got him that space.

Alreet Brighty.

England have actually played some nice stuff tonight in fairness. Go on Roy.

Yep, good night for us. The strength of the squads isn't the important thing at the moment, it's changing the way we play and giving us the confidence to retain possession more efficiently. Whether that be the first XI, the 'reserves' or a mix, it doesn't matter too much.

England have actually played some nice stuff tonight in fairness. Go on Roy.

Helps when all of the 2/3 of the midfielders can pass in directions other than straight on. Hopefully start as they mean too go on.

Good to see us actually look relatively comfortable on the ball tonight. This is just the beginning of a two year build-up, from what we've seen tonight I feel a bit more optimistic. I like the way we're going, promising signs.

He's disgustingly limited, that's why he gets the stick. He's Michael Owen with a stronger shot. Got to be one of the easiest guys to defend against in the Premier League IMO.

So easy to defend against that he's scored more than a goal every 2 and a half games throughout a 12 year career so far. ;)

Guest BooBoo

Told the missus she could turn it off after an hour. :lol:

I like the act that Roy's giving the younger lads a go, but I genuinely couldn't be less arsed about the national side at the moment.

Guest BooBoo

Struggling to think of too many better opposition goals than Defoe's at SJP last season. Up there with Toure's first for City against us.

Guest BooBoo

Couldn't give a shit how good his stats make him look. Even Redknapp had the tactical nouse to realise no side would ever achieve anything playing him.

Oh stop being so aggressive just because not everyone agrees with you.