The England Thread

Pilko

Absolutely no penetration or drive in this England team. Such straight lines football.

Do you think a Rooney/Walcott partnership up front would work? Walcott has been much better centrally this season like.

Bit of a myth really, he's hardly played upfront.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/theo-walcott/leistungsdaten/spieler_33713.html

Just 5 times in the league. 6 in all comps in fact.

Tbf Arsenal over the last 6 months have kinda used a 4-2-2-2 they haven't had anyone on the left or the right.

Usually Arteta-Ramsey holding with Rosicky-Cazorla floating about with Walcott and Giroud/Podolski up top with fullbacks providing width, a lot like the way City play actually.

So even if it doesn't come up in the graphic like that i'd argue Walcott has been playing central since his new contract.

Although like with City's strikers he does have freedom to roam.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

England were better in the second half but not an unfair result overall Ireland did just about enough defensively mostly thanks to Forde though. It's a good game to warm up for the real thing that is the qualifiers and I will be interested to see the next time the two of us play hopefully it'll be a competitive match just for the added edge.

England were better in the second half but not an unfair result overall Ireland did just about enough defensively mostly thanks to Forde though. It's a good game to warm up for the real thing that is the qualifiers and I will be interested to see the next time the two of us play hopefully it'll be a competitive match just for the added edge.

If it was competitive England would fold. Easy win for the Irish.

Sick of the media treating Ireland as a "home nation".  No monarchy, completely different government and currency.

Same. Only similarity is the language.

:thup: Have whinged about this for years because as you know father, I'm a very petty man.

A lot of Irish I know do have english relations though and I guess that means a fair few English have Irish relations obviously. I myself have relatives where most of you lads will be, Newcastle of course, and then I have more in Preston. Other than that not a huge link to England I guess.

If it was competitive England would fold. Easy win for the Irish.

Dunno we proved in the euros we're more than capable of bottling a big occasion ourselves. Although a lot of it was down to a lack of ability but still could have done much better.

Sick of the media treating Ireland as a "home nation".  No monarchy, completely different government and currency.

Same. Only similarity is the language.

:thup: Have whinged about this for years because as you know father, I'm a very petty man.

if that was Poland, in a WCQ and Lewandowski had a canny game and scored Poland's goal, would Townscunt have given him MoTM?  Would he fuck.

No-one else underwhelmed by Trappatoni's team?  I was sat there thinking ders more ta Oirland den dis, tbh.

Nah man. :lol: Our team is brutal. Nobody to choose from.

There's nowt Irish about me.

No-one else underwhelmed by Trappatoni's team?  I was sat there thinking ders more ta Oirland den dis, tbh.

Nah man. :lol: Our team is brutal. Nobody to choose from.

There's nowt Irish about me.

:pilko:

Horrible England game to watch. Technically we were very poor for the amount of money these people earn compared to the rest of the world. Rooney forever dropping deep or going wide. Walcott having multiple chances to strike a decent hit and got it low, weak and at the keeper. Oxlade-Chamberlain had a great moment to hit it either side of the keeper and somehow aimed directly at him. Bah I could go on and on.

Terribly static our players in the opposing half. Piss easy to mark and take out of the game. Too many Hollywood balls as nobody comes short enough. When we do something nice and get down the wing usually only player in the box with 3 or 4 opposition players ready to defend. So many poor touches and passes too.

Germany realised they were heading to the national team shitter in 2000 so invested in getting their players technically good at all costs. We must wake up to how poor our national side is now and start using just a tiny amount of the money in our game to make our home grown players technically better.

Miguel Delaney ‏@MiguelDelaney 5m

Hodgson asked about formation/system and says he can't see how Dortmund's 4-4-2 is too different from England's 4-4-2.

Sackable offence.

Happily eating my words really, I thought we'd be hammered. Having said that I thought Ireland were very hot and cold. We played well but our passing and movement on the ball was shocking at times.