BBC: Freddy Shepherd £60m offer for NUFC likely to be accepted

jimmymag
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

According to BBC, and they say it's likely to be accepted according to their sources!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8125576.stm

Shepherd in £60m Newcastle offer

Former Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd is heading a consortium in advanced talks over a £60m takeover the club, BBC Sport understands.

Alan Shearer has been lined up to carry on as manager, who were relegated to the Championship last season.

Owner Mike Ashley was asking for £100m but BBC Sport understands Shepherd's offer is likely to be accepted.

Shepherd sold his Newcastle shares to current owner Mike Ashley two years ago as part of a £134m deal for the club.

Ashley's total investment in the club is estimated at £244m, which includes paying off debts and buying new players.

When Ashley first put the club up for sale last September, he hoped to get around £300m.

Shepherd became chairman in 1997 when Sir John Hall and his son Douglas were the major shareholders and negotiated the £15m signing of Shearer.

Always a controversial figure, he was forced out of the club when Ashley bought his controlling interest.

Several other groups, including investors from Singapore, Oman and South Africa have also shown interest in buying the club.

The man in charge of the sale, Keith Harris, the chairman of brokers Seymour Pierce, has said he expected a deal to be concluded by the end of this month.

Can't see any confirmation on BBC website, but it's unusual for them to publicise a rumour without it having some foundation.

Where did you see/hear it?

On News 24 by their sports journo.

Can't see any confirmation on BBC website, but it's unusual for them to publicise a rumour without it having some foundation.

Where did you see/hear it?

On News 24 by their sports journo.

Cheers.

I just want progress right now, to get on with sorting the squad and rebuilding, so im happy to get FFS back, for now. Also I do believe he will genuinely try to get up back in the Premier League ASAP.

Well it its an actual bid and its been accepted it might be nice to run it in its own thread for a while.

Thought i reckon it will be denied by the morning and merged anyway.  :lol:

rumour's being doing the rounds for the last 3 hours up here

why didn't you say then ?

Because it's a rumour, if I posted everything I heard down the (massively nufc orientated) pub i'd have more posts than Dave

Guessing its £60m upfront with it topped up to £100m So that's us £40m in debt to Ashley before we've even started.

I want a bidder who can pay it all off and rebuild, i certainly don't want this cretin back with finances to worry about.