Did Mike Ashley buy the wrong club?

themanupstairs

owed to al fayed. are you saying ashley was crap because he wouldn't bankroll the club to your liking ?

I'm saying Fulham were in a far worse state than us, so if he'd taken them over I'm not sure how he was going to do any better there on half our turnover.

There isn't a club in the Premiership without problems of some sort, and I don't think ours were even remotely the worst.

What money Ashley did put in was spent poorly - on paying for players up front and on an increased wage bill for example. Saying this increased expenditure was the fault of the previous owners is misrepresentative of the situation.

While Newcastle is not the easiest club to own, he'd have taken whichever side he bought down a division. Paying off the debt was the only thing he did right as owner. Beyond that, it was one bad decision after another.

owed to al fayed. are you saying ashley was crap because he wouldn't bankroll the club to your liking ?

I'm saying Fulham were in a far worse state than us, so if he'd taken them over I'm not sure how he was going to do any better there on half our turnover.

There isn't a club in the Premiership without problems of some sort, and I don't think ours were even remotely the worst.

What money Ashley did put in was spent poorly - on paying for players up front and on an increased wage bill for example. Saying this increased expenditure was the fault of the previous owners is misrepresentative of the situation.

fulham looked like it till you realise the person who they owe to isn't likely to chase their money back off them. just like chelsea. look through my posts i've said that fred was taking us backwards on and off the pitch, ashley came in without checking anything out and hasn't been able to cope with the shit he found himself in.

re turnover...having a one hundred million (billion even) turnover means little if you are spending a lot more than that.

how i'm implicating the previous owners is that the huge wages that we couldn't afford culture came from them. i do not say it was all freds fault, ashley could have changed it but in my opinion we'd have been as deep in the shit had fred stayed.

I think his business model could have worked at a non Premiership side maybe even a first division club -  where lower investment is needed, there is more time to build and learn the business, plus less expectation from the fans. You cannot in the current era try and reinvent a Premiership club using Arsenal as the model and a continental management structure - especially when that club has previously been run in a way as far removed from Arsenal as it is possible to get and no recognised Premiership manager would accept the structure.

I guess if he'd wanted to get involved with a smaller club, he'd have done that before. He wanted the excitement of owning a big one, but of course with that kind of ownership comes pressure. It's not going to be fun, like he wanted.

Keegan was a strange choice, and the very last person that you could imagine working to a DOF. Ashley isn't the only person that's brought the club to its current position, but that decision was a 24 carat bad one.

Guest Stephen927

I guess if he'd wanted to get involved with a smaller club, he'd have done that before. He wanted the excitement of owning a big one, but of course with that kind of ownership comes pressure. It's not going to be fun, like he wanted.

Keegan was a strange choice, and the very last person that you could imagine working to a DOF. Ashley isn't the only person that's brought the club to its current position, but that decision was a 24 carat bad one.

And then the add the fact that the DOF in question was Dennis Wise... Absurd.

who to be fair wasn't really given a chance. if wise were the manager and keegan the DoF in the exact same scenario. everyone would still have keegan. we don't know what went on so people just fell behind personalities.

I don't think that he bought the club with any real plan on what to do with the club once he had it, hence his decision to have his friend run the club.

He constantly seemed to be reacting to any previous problems rather than dealing with issues at hand:

Allardyce spent the club's (and therefore Ashley's) money on mostly poor players.  Answer:  Bring in someone to control transfers

Keegan wants more control, but Allardyce fucked up so he should trust his new system and back Wise over Keegan

Keegan leaves and is replaced by someone else Ashley believes he can trust

Since Keegan left because he didn't have control over transfers he should let JFK buy the players he wants

JFK pisses off two of our better players and spunks his transfer kitty on Nolan and Ryan Taylor

If he'd had any sort of long term plan other than balance the books and hope for the best it might have worked out, but without any sort of direction Ashley was always going to lurch from one mistake to the next.

I don't think that he bought the club with any real plan on what to do with the club once he had it, hence his decision to have his friend run the club.

He constantly seemed to be reacting to any previous problems rather than dealing with issues at hand:

Allardyce spent the club's (and therefore Ashley's) money on mostly poor players.  Answer:  Bring in someone to control transfers

Keegan wants more control, but Allardyce f***ed up so he should trust his new system and back Wise over Keegan

Keegan leaves and is replaced by someone else Ashley believes he can trust

Since Keegan left because he didn't have control over transfers he should let JFK buy the players he wants

JFK pisses off two of our better players and spunks his transfer kitty on Nolan and Ryan Taylor

If he'd had any sort of long term plan other than balance the books and hope for the best it might have worked out, but without any sort of direction Ashley was always going to lurch from one mistake to the next.

its been mooted that his plan was to pay as little as poss to keep us in the prem till he could get shot of the larger wage earners. a gamble that failed.

who knows what would have happened if he'd done due dilligence and realised that the stadium expansion loan had to be paid in full on change of ownership........on this a new thought. i wonder if he tried to re-structure this part, to pay it over time, more so i wonder if he tried, was he knocked back by the banks ?

Guest Stephen927

who to be fair wasn't really given a chance. if wise were the manager and keegan the DoF in the exact same scenario. everyone would still have keegan. we don't know what went on so people just fell behind personalities.

That is what I mean, it was an absurd situation. It is hard to tell who spotted which players, Llambias claimed Bassong was a Wise transfer, whereas Bassong himself has said Keegan made first contact.

Newcastle fans will always side with a club legend rather than a former player who had no real track record to warrant a position above said club legend, crazy situation and I still don't think I'll ever understand Ashley's thinking behind that one.

That is what I mean, it was an absurd situation. It is hard to tell who spotted which players, Llambias claimed Bassong was a Wise transfer, whereas Bassong himself has said Keegan made first contact.

Newcastle fans will always side with a club legend rather than a former player who had no real track record to warrant a position above said club legend, crazy situation and I still don't think I'll ever understand Ashley's thinking behind that one.

how was wise above keegan ?

Guest Stephen927

I've always seen Director of Football as a more senior role than a manager. I meant above Keegan, as in Keegan would always get the benefit of the doubt over Dennis Wise in the eyes of the fans.

I've always seen Director of Football as a more senior role than a manager. I meant above Keegan, as in Keegan would always get the benefit of the doubt over Dennis Wise in the eyes of the fans.

at each club that has a DoF the remit is different. gordon milne was DoF to robson. what we don't know is what wise's remit was.

My own theory is that it was a piece of crude thinking. He thought that Wise would look after the long-term development and the financial aspects, and Keegan would produce exciting football for the fans in the meantime. He ended up with two people working against each other, rather predictably.