If Shearer walks....

Guest Brazilianbob

I got that one as well (on the fifth of January) and had no idea it was a kind of informal referendum. I assumed it would be used to develop some motions… you know, those thing were members of clubs get to vote on what the club does with their subscription?

Could you explain how NUSC works. We give you our money, then vote for an interim committee who then act on the basis of random email surveys. Is that it? I thought it was going to be a democratically run organisation, that’s what I was telling everyone who was accusing NUSC of being a protest group. “No it’s not like that, we all get to vote on major issues and it will become what we make it” I said, foolishly. 

Out of interest, how would you see these votes working? via email maybe? we put out a vote on email asking you to give your views, members reply and depending on the results (which are also on the website to be viewed) action is then taken. If, as this one was its clear which way the members want to go then theres nothing further to do. What timescales do you think these things run to? we put a vote out, give it a week for reply then take those replies and formulate a motion, call a meeting, arrange it, get everyone there a week later and ask them the same question again but in person this time? oh but hold on, what about the high percentage of members that live outside the region? how could we get them to vote? I know, as well as running the motion at the meeting we'll ask them via email oh hold on we already have.

Now no offence but Ive asked you three times for your membership number and name so we can ensure that you are receiving all the stuff you should be, for some reason you dont seem to be in a position to supply that info. If it was me and Id paid a tenner to be part of something and then heard nowt from them Id sure as hell be on their backs trying to see whats going on.

On finding other members had been getting information and I hadnt then I would also be chasing up why not and giving my details to someone who could help that out.

I got that one as well (on the fifth of January) and had no idea it was a kind of informal referendum. I assumed it would be used to develop some motions you know, those thing were members of clubs get to vote on what the club does with their subscription?

Could you explain how NUSC works. We give you our money, then vote for an interim committee who then act on the basis of random email surveys. Is that it? I thought it was going to be a democratically run organisation, thats what I was telling everyone who was accusing NUSC of being a protest group. No its not like that, we all get to vote on major issues and it will become what we make it I said, foolishly. 

Out of interest, how would you see these votes working? via email maybe? we put out a vote on email asking you to give your views, members reply and depending on the results (which are also on the website to be viewed) action is then taken. If, as this one was its clear which way the members want to go then theres nothing further to do. What timescales do you think these things run to? we put a vote out, give it a week for reply then take those replies and formulate a motion, call a meeting, arrange it, get everyone there a week later and ask them the same question again but in person this time? oh but hold on, what about the high percentage of members that live outside the region? how could we get them to vote? I know, as well as running the motion at the meeting we'll ask them via email oh hold on we already have.

Now no offence but Ive asked you three times for your membership number and name so we can ensure that you are receiving all the stuff you should be, for some reason you dont seem to be in a position to supply that info. If it was me and Id paid a tenner to be part of something and then heard nowt from them Id sure as hell be on their backs trying to see whats going on.

On finding other members had been getting information and I hadnt then I would also be chasing up why not and giving my details to someone who could help that out.

Did you say that NUSC have sent 30 or40 emails to members this season?  i think i've received about 3!!

Yeah theres been quite a few, PM me your membership number and name and I'll send you a test one to see whats happening.

We've sent out poll questions, details of roadshows, updates on whats happening, newsletters and other bits n bobs.

You should have had one two days ago detailing your login for the website and one yesterday about the South Shields Roadshow.

Yeah theres been quite a few, PM me your membership number and name and I'll send you a test one to see whats happening.

We've sent out poll questions, details of roadshows, updates on whats happening, newsletters and other bits n bobs.

You should have had one two days ago detailing your login for the website and one yesterday about the South Shields Roadshow.

yes i got those ones that have been sent in the last few days

Guest fading star

I got that one as well (on the fifth of January) and had no idea it was a kind of informal referendum. I assumed it would be used to develop some motions… you know, those thing were members of clubs get to vote on what the club does with their subscription?

Could you explain how NUSC works. We give you our money, then vote for an interim committee who then act on the basis of random email surveys. Is that it? I thought it was going to be a democratically run organisation, that’s what I was telling everyone who was accusing NUSC of being a protest group. “No it’s not like that, we all get to vote on major issues and it will become what we make it” I said, foolishly. 

Secure email/online voting is the right way of doing it, and it wouldn’t have to be the complex system you suggested. You have a member only section on the website where members can post motions, then at fixed times of the year members get to vote on these motions.

I think the subscription fees should be used to commission a website/database system that gives NUSC an effective way of communicating with it’s members, and the wider audience. I’d put forward a motion to this effect but there’s no system for doing so. No way for NUSC members to exchange ideas. No way for subscribers to shape the agenda. Responding to email surveys and stumping up £10 appears to be the full extent of our involvement.

I’m being harsh, but hope you can take onboard what I’m saying.

Guest fading star

hmmm strange, then your email address is definitely correct. Not sure whats going on there then if you've not had any of the others.

I’ve received about 20. 

Set him a deadline to do what?  Or else we'll what?

Well in your case you could threaten to stop licking his balls.

Put this in bablefish and it came back as "Uuuh, I dunno I hadn't thought of that."

Protest and get him to give into out demands!

(Uh, what are our demands?)

Stop licking Ashley's arse!!! PROTEST!!

(Protest how?)

Fine, do NOTHING then!  Let the club drop the the confrence!!!

:lol:

Are you sure it wasn’t Google translate.

As I said, it’d refocus attention on the situation in the media. We’ve become so used to Ashley and his crap it’s becoming acceptable. The whole issue is being (or not being) resolved on Ashley’s terms. In footballing terms, we’re letting Ashley dictate the tempo of the game.

Ashley will dictate the terms no matter what though. It doesn't matter what we do, we will sell when he is ready to sell. He really couldn't give a s**** about Newcastle United and you are deluding yourself if you think he does. Invading the pitch will give the media more ammunition to call the supporters "deluded fools" and will make not a jot of difference to Ashley.

He will if we let him.

Only the shock jocks are still peddling the deluded fools line, the rest of the media are on the side of the supporters and they are our tool for cranking the pressure up. Ashley doesn’t care about NUFC, but his skin isn’t infinitely thick.

I’ll ask you the same question Madras avoided answering. How far does the club have to fall before you would be prepared to actually do something about it?

what are you on about ?. i'm prepared to do something at any stage. i'd do something now. i'd have done something last season. i'd have done something at the appointmant of sounes if someone could come up with something i thought would actually have an effect. which i don't think a pitch protest would. that is doing something for doing somethings sake....".hey look at me....it's pointless but i'm doing something"

Guest fading star

Put this in bablefish and it came back as "Uuuh, I dunno I hadn't thought of that."

(Protest how?)

As I said, it’d refocus attention on the situation in the media. We’ve become so used to Ashley and his crap it’s becoming acceptable. The whole issue is being (or not being) resolved on Ashley’s terms. In footballing terms, we’re letting Ashley dictate the tempo of the game.

Ashley will dictate the terms no matter what though. It doesn't matter what we do, we will sell when he is ready to sell. He really couldn't give a s**** about Newcastle United and you are deluding yourself if you think he does. Invading the pitch will give the media more ammunition to call the supporters "deluded fools" and will make not a jot of difference to Ashley.

He will if we let him.

Only the shock jocks are still peddling the deluded fools line, the rest of the media are on the side of the supporters and they are our tool for cranking the pressure up. Ashley doesn’t care about NUFC, but his skin isn’t infinitely thick.

I’ll ask you the same question Madras avoided answering. How far does the club have to fall before you would be prepared to actually do something about it?

what are you on about ?. i'm prepared to do something at any stage. i'd do something now. i'd have done something last season. i'd have done something at the appointmant of sounes if someone could come up with something i thought would actually have an effect. which i don't think a pitch protest would. that is doing something for doing somethings sake....".hey look at me....it's pointless but i'm doing something"

OK then. When we arrive at the  Rubicon (if we haven’t already) what are you going to do? If sitting on the pitch is pointless egotism, what would be you’re master plan for saving the club from the evil clutches of lord Ashley? 

(Protest how?)

He will if we let him.

OK then. When we arrive at the  Rubicon (if we haven’t already) what are you going to do? If sitting on the pitch is pointless egotism, what would be you’re master plan for saving the club from the evil clutches of lord Ashley? 

as i've already stated i think a boycott of the leeds game for starters would be better than your plan and a damn sight more likely to get others to join in......still dont think ashley would give a shit though.

right now i doubt theres anything we can do. would you be prepared to lose out on maybe 10mill cos someone had a sit in protest.... i wouldn't give a toss. if anything it would probably make me more spiteful.

NOTHING and I mean NOTHING we do will hurry that cunt up, infact I would say the childish bastard would go as fae as to drag his heels even more just to get revenge.

Rge sale has to happen at some point and Al will be ready to step in and do the job meant for him.

Guest fading star

(Protest how?)

He will if we let him.

as i've already stated i think a boycott of the leeds game for starters would be better than your plan and a damn sight more likely to get others to join in......still dont think ashley would give a s*** though.

right now i doubt theres anything we can do. would you be prepared to lose out on maybe 10mill cos someone had a sit in protest.... i wouldn't give a toss. if anything it would probably make me more spiteful.

This is true, but it wouldn’t have as much impact. I’d happily go with boycotting the Leeds game. It might not be a killer blow, but it would weaken Ashley’s position. I’d like to see NUSC stop sitting on the fence and organise it as well, but that’ll never happen.

The current rules of the game are being set by Ashley. He acts then supporters respond, once they’ve recovered from the shock, by which time another promise of imminent improvement has been released. Break the cycle and we might finally arrive at the end game.

(Protest how?)

He will if we let him.

as i've already stated i think a boycott of the leeds game for starters would be better than your plan and a damn sight more likely to get others to join in......still dont think ashley would give a s*** though.

This is true, but it wouldn’t have as much impact. I’d happily go with boycotting the Leeds game. It might not be a killer blow, but it would weaken Ashley’s position. I’d like to see NUSC stop sitting on the fence and organise it as well, but that’ll never happen.

The current rules of the game are being set by Ashley. He acts then supporters respond, once they’ve recovered from the shock, by which time another promise of imminent improvement has been released. Break the cycle and we might finally arrive at the end game.

not when big money is concerned. like i said. if i was him i wouldn;t give a toss about any sort of protest. the thing is dragging on as he feels he can get a better price. if we put the club in a position where buyers offer less it will take longer and we will attract even more fly-by-nights.

Madras is right, step on the pitch and you will see the inside of a police van followed by the outside of the ground on match days. The law is clear, step out of line in a football ground and be banned from matches for years. Whether you're going on the pitch to lamp a player or to make a peaceful protest, chances are you will be banned and possibly a criminal record.

Total bullshit really.  If 15,000 fans were to take to the pitch, who exactly is going to nick them and where will they take them?

Probably be more a case of starting to arrest some people at random hoping people start going "Erm, don't want to be the next person nicked and banned" and disperse.  Once some people start leaving, the numbers start going down, the chance you're going to be one of the ones nicked increases, more people start leaving.  Or just filming people's faces for later banning orders.

That's if you get 15,000 people on the pitch at once, presumably you'd need a few people to start off and give people the confidence to join in.  If those first 10 or so get swiftly nicked then others are unlikely to follow.

They can’t arrest people at random, well not without leaving themselves open to claims of victimisation. Not that it matters, it was a throw away suggestion. My point was really about whether we carry on waiting for Ashley to do what ever it is he‘s doing, or if we should try and influence events. Some think we’re powerless, but there’s tens of thousands of us and were not.

Correct it would be thrown out of court if they take one approach with a small group. 

What :lol:  "Some other people did it as well but the police weren't able to arrest them" is now a valid reason for getting a case thrown out of court?  Do you think the police are completely helpless if more people commit a crime at one time than they have officers to cuff them?  Oh, well, we've caught you breaking into this house but your mate ran away and we don't want to victimise you.  On you go.

Stewards and police targeting people at random when a large group of people are doing the same thing is exactly what was happening last season with the standing in level seven.

This much is true. However, everyone would be on CCTV so the police would still be obliged to catch all the criminals. We couldn’t catch them in the act so we're not going to bother isn’t a valid reason for turning a blind eye. If there was a peaceful sit in common sense would probably prevail. It wouldn’t be in the public interest to prosecute 15,000 people for sitting on a football pitch. But we’ll never know because it’ll never happen.

It's a sad indictment of our society that something as inane as sitting on football pitch without permission can be a crime. Yet one man can s*** all over a football club and it’s supporters with impunity.

I wonder who owns the pitch? The stadium belongs to the club, but the land it’s built on is leased by the council.

The police make examples out of people all the time.  Who the stadium belongs to is irrelevant, it's not trespass against the owner of the pitch it's laws brought in against invading football pitches to stop knackers running onto the pitch all the time.

Madras is right, step on the pitch and you will see the inside of a police van followed by the outside of the ground on match days. The law is clear, step out of line in a football ground and be banned from matches for years. Whether you're going on the pitch to lamp a player or to make a peaceful protest, chances are you will be banned and possibly a criminal record.

Total bullshit really.  If 15,000 fans were to take to the pitch, who exactly is going to nick them and where will they take them?

Probably be more a case of starting to arrest some people at random hoping people start going "Erm, don't want to be the next person nicked and banned" and disperse.  Once some people start leaving, the numbers start going down, the chance you're going to be one of the ones nicked increases, more people start leaving.  Or just filming people's faces for later banning orders.

That's if you get 15,000 people on the pitch at once, presumably you'd need a few people to start off and give people the confidence to join in.  If those first 10 or so get swiftly nicked then others are unlikely to follow.

They can’t arrest people at random, well not without leaving themselves open to claims of victimisation. Not that it matters, it was a throw away suggestion. My point was really about whether we carry on waiting for Ashley to do what ever it is he‘s doing, or if we should try and influence events. Some think we’re powerless, but there’s tens of thousands of us and were not.

Correct it would be thrown out of court if they take one approach with a small group. 

What :lol:  "Some other people did it as well but the police weren't able to arrest them" is now a valid reason for getting a case thrown out of court?  Do you think the police are completely helpless if more people commit a crime at one time than they have officers to cuff them?  Oh, well, we've caught you breaking into this house but your mate ran away and we don't want to victimise you.  On you go.

Stewards and police targeting people at random when a large group of people are doing the same thing is exactly what was happening last season with the standing in level seven.

This much is true. However, everyone would be on CCTV so the police would still be obliged to catch all the criminals. We couldn’t catch them in the act so we're not going to bother isn’t a valid reason for turning a blind eye. If there was a peaceful sit in common sense would probably prevail. It wouldn’t be in the public interest to prosecute 15,000 people for sitting on a football pitch. But we’ll never know because it’ll never happen.

It's a sad indictment of our society that something as inane as sitting on football pitch without permission can be a crime. Yet one man can s*** all over a football club and it’s supporters with impunity.

I wonder who owns the pitch? The stadium belongs to the club, but the land it’s built on is leased by the council.

it's a sad indictment of our society that when there is so much seriously wrong with our world you are wanting to protest so vehemently about a football club. what protests have you done about the lack of funding into cancer research or the plight of social services in regards to the care of children.

surely the way to badger ashley is to picket the sports direct stores.  Hit him where his pocket is.

probably the best way would be for shearer to break ranks. go public via a press conference to say he wants the job but as ech dasy passes next season becomes harder,maybe flanked by robson,moncur to say get it sorted and to ask ashley via the press what is going on.

Hold on, lets get this straight.

You are a member, you've paid a tenner over and you want us to take action against whats currently happening, so much so that you're not happy with us and are calling us on a message board because we're not doing what you want.

Yet not once have you contacted anyone from the committee, not once have you sent an email stating that you think we're doing things wrong. What you want though is for the committee to make these decisions based on some telepathic means? Or do you think that we should just take your posts on a message board as the way forward?

We are currently doing what we believe our members are happy with, not because we "think" thats what they want but because thats what the bulk of the emails and contacts via roadshows etc are telling us. If however we are wrong and there are many more out there like yourself then tell us, whats the use sitting festering about it over a computer keyboard. Bung us a mail (with your membership number and name in) and we'll act on it.

As for the system you're on about, that is what we have. A secure email voting system, one that cannot easily be manipulated and is only for the members, the new members area (which you have access to) will contain these polls, motions and other communications within it but its still a week or so away from being finished (and its costing nothing), until then any urgent motions would continue under this email system.

The questions you received were not random surveys they were motions, they were attempts to gauge the feeling of members to help structure the way forward, a democratic process to ensure that all members were involved and that we knew how they were feeling and werent running off half cocked on some route that the people who mattered didnt agree with.

At any time, any member can raise a motion its simply a case of contacting us and raising it.

Give it a go, send us a mail and see what happens.

You cannot however seriously sit on a message board and moan that you've joined us, paid money and arent happy with the way we are going if you've not made any attempt to notify us of this dissatisfaction, no attempt to say that you think we should do alternative things.

Guest fading star

Hold on, lets get this straight.

You are a member, you've paid a tenner over and you want us to take action against whats currently happening, so much so that you're not happy with us and are calling us on a message board because we're not doing what you want.

Yet not once have you contacted anyone from the committee, not once have you sent an email stating that you think we're doing things wrong. What you want though is for the committee to make these decisions based on some telepathic means? Or do you think that we should just take your posts on a message board as the way forward?

We are currently doing what we believe our members are happy with, not because we "think" thats what they want but because thats what the bulk of the emails and contacts via roadshows etc are telling us. If however we are wrong and there are many more out there like yourself then tell us, whats the use sitting festering about it over a computer keyboard. Bung us a mail (with your membership number and name in) and we'll act on it.

As for the system you're on about, that is what we have. A secure email voting system, one that cannot easily be manipulated and is only for the members, the new members area (which you have access to) will contain these polls, motions and other communications within it but its still a week or so away from being finished (and its costing nothing), until then any urgent motions would continue under this email system.

The questions you received were not random surveys they were motions, they were attempts to gauge the feeling of members to help structure the way forward, a democratic process to ensure that all members were involved and that we knew how they were feeling and werent running off half cocked on some route that the people who mattered didnt agree with.

At any time, any member can raise a motion its simply a case of contacting us and raising it.

Give it a go, send us a mail and see what happens.

You cannot however seriously sit on a message board and moan that you've joined us, paid money and arent happy with the way we are going if you've not made any attempt to notify us of this dissatisfaction, no attempt to say that you think we should do alternative things.

Tried that twice, never got a reply.

Guest fading star

How many non-committee members have had motions put to the membership over the the last eight months?

Tried that twice, never got a reply.

I find that very very hard to believe as every email is answered personally by one of the committee members, its something we pride ourselves on. Maybe in the first couple of weeks or so while we were bedding in then there could have been strays but everything since has been carefully read, discussed and replied to.

As for your last question, ask me as a member, send me a PM or an email and you'll get the reply.

I really don't buy this idea that you pay £10 and you join NUSC and you get to vote/partake in the democratic process. Like it is only worth it to me if I agree on most of the voting, otherwise I'm paying to be part of an organisation that is trying to do things I don't really stand for. Like on this forum I fundamentally disagree with many things that fading star wants. One of us is going to lose out.

What happens when a vote on an important issue comes out 51-49% in favour of something. Do you exclude half your membership and go with the winner? Do you exclude the other half and decide its best not to act, or do you leave the decision to the subjectivity of the committee?

What happens if the votes get taken over by radical thinkers with a majority being apathetic and not voting?

It is my view that NUSC should just stick a manifesto on their website and say: "If you like it join us, if you don't, go and make your own organisation." Let people vote with their membership.

:lol: Would it fuck!

Why does everything have to amount to a protest or a boycott with this club these days? There is nothing that can be done, nothing we can do to influence procedings at all.

Shearer won't be appointed until a new owner is sought and buyer agreements are signed. Boycotting games, sit-down protests....none of them will work. Ashley will either a) not take any notice, or b) not be bothered by them. He's moved on, he doesn't own this club anymore. You could paint St James Park pink for all he fucking cares. The only lasting effects anything will have will be on hindering the new ownership that comes in, if it ever does.