Complete transfer embargo until club is sold?

Dave

More conflicting stories, i thought the club had hired some agency to sell all the high earners!!

That was AGES ago mate, it was reported very soon afterwards (in fact one of them was on the radio talking about it) that they'd been told to hold off.

I guess the biggest worry for me regarding a tranfer embargo is not the financial ramafiations of not selling players, but the question of who will be playing up front if no players are signed? What about injuries?

Martins, Ameobi, Ranger, Lua Lua - are these guys going to take us up?

For all the stick he gets, I'd tip Shola to get around 15 at this level. A lot worse strikers than him have scored more in the Championship.

With a competent midfield i'd agree, he's strong and a reasonable finisher. Wasn't Sylvain Ebanks-Blake the top scorer in the division last season? But like i say... he had Kightly and Reid as providers for the season so there's no wonder limited strikers like him can notch a fair few goals. In hindsight i'm not too disappointed we've given Shola a new contract, he'll probably be invaluable. Depressing, i know, but he will be.

But when it comes to individiuals in our squad - and this sorta ties in - i'm looking forward to see Guthrie ripping this division to bits tbh. I'll be gutted if he's part of the exodus - i'm hoping his low profile will keep clubs off him; the incident with Fagan a while back probably helps our cause n'all. Think he'll be one of the best centre-mids in the division.

For all the stick he gets, I'd tip Shola to get around 15 at this level. A lot worse strikers than him have scored more in the Championship.

:nods:

Shola is going to tear the shit out of the Championship.

Agree totally, if not more, although in Stokes promotion season he didn't exactly set the league alight, although he didn't have too many chances to do so.

Agree totally, if not more, although in Stokes promotion season he didn't exactly set the league alight, although he didn't have too many chances to do so.

Until the game at home to Manchester City this season, he hadn't played for about two seasons to be fair to him. Stoke were absolute dicks paying that stupid fee to get him in for a few games.

probably get slated but if Shola (and its a big IF) can get himself fully match fit and stay fit then he can do the business this season,  if you can score goals in the champions league then you can surely score against CCC defences!!!  It'll help if our supporters don't boo him and actually support the lad!!

Thing is with Shola he's shit physically, which is ridiculous considering his size. His flaws would have been very clear in Stoke's system

He isn't a target man at all, like. I've always felt for Shola, when looking back to the 06/07 Roeder season. At the back end of 05/06 he actually looked like he might - to a certain extent - fulfil the potential he had. Had a cracking end to that season when Shearer got injured (no coincidence that Shola looked capable of leading the line when Big Al was out the picture...), and started that Roeder season well in pre-season. He was all set to lead the line with Martins, then needed a hip op that kept him out for the season. By the time he returned he was fourth or fifth choice again; must have been frustrating as fuck.

In his then-prime he was alright physically, alright on the ball and always been a good finisher tbh - i'll argue that all day. Never been a bad header of the ball n'all. Bare in mind, i'm talking actual years ago here - he was pretty awful whenever he played last season. It was plain surreal that he was actually back on the pitch on a regular basis tbh.

Probs be alright next season if he's the main man.

if players do get sold before any takeover,,,then it is time to worry big style as it would then appear any takeover is dead and ashleys cutting the wage bill regardless. it wouldn't be good to try and sell a club whilst selling its assets at the same time (think of selling a house complete with garden and garage and also trying to sell the garage and garden seperatly....the buyers may still be interested but the terms are going to change to reflect it)

re shola.....i think he'd go well in this league. someone mentioned earlier that he isn't a physical player for his size. the problem being that in the prem the defenders are smarter. i've never seen a forward penalised so much when actually being fouled or standing his ground.

I would imagine most of the decent players will still get sold once the club is taken off the market, which shouldn't take long as there are only one or two. Then next season without proper leadership I would say our best chance of picking up any results will be to introduce a few of the younger fringe players like Ranger, Krul and Lua Lua to try and inject some hunger in the team. The nucleus of the squad is more than good enough at this level the problem is going to be motivation unless their places are under pressure.

Bold move by Ashley...but ultimately the right one for Newcastle

Posted by:    GUEST BLOGGER  , on Fri 17 Jul 2009

Football FanCast guest columnist Rod Mathews applauds the decision by Mike Ashley to impose a transfer embargo on Newcastle United.

Mike Ashley hasn't made many decisions right since he took the helm at Newcastle United, but placing a transfer embargo, until a takeover has been concluded, is the right one and in the best interests of the club.

No doubt it will have upset a few players, who chose to hide behind the current fiasco and use it as leverage so they can get moves elsewhere. All this talk that they would stay if Shearer was manager is all pie in the sky, as they know the chances of it happening are close to zero. By making these outbursts they are clearly trying to justify their exits by the lowest form ever and that is jumping onto the fans frustrations. That doesn't sit well with me, especially given their attitudes last season.

What makes me laugh about the team is that they are all pro-Shearer; however when they played under him they were just as lacklustre as before. It seemed to me that a vast majority of that squad really couldn't give an iota about our plight as they thought they would always be safe and able to move on should we go down. This embargo not only is a big two fingers up at the potential deserters, but more importantly safeguards our chances of an immediate return to the Premier League.

At the end of the day for all their attitude problems they are still Premier quality and with the right man in charge giving them the kick up the proverbial, they can make up for the mess that they have put us in.

http://footballfancast.com/blog/newcastle-united/bold-move-ashleybut-ultimately-right-one-newcastle/14993