Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

Dyer was one of our best players when fit.. but he earned the bling bling tag and was a right cunt in public by all accounts. We held onto him for too long.

Jenas was good for us, can’t remember him having a poor game. He just wasn’t built enough or experienced enough to compete in a midfield against the likes of Keane and Vieira. There was hype around him though and we should have cashed in sooner and made more from that deal. He went to Spurs for a fairly low fee in the end. 7m?

2 hours ago, Theregulars said:

You can make a persuasive argument that Kieron Dyer and Prince Goldfish Bowl of BBC really fucked the club.

They were among the first players we had that I really came to actively dislike (along with others around that same time) although at least Dyer did a job when he was fit. Just never saw anything in Jenas at all personally, always seemed a bit of a nothing player. I felt the same about James Milner like (didn't dislike, just didn't rate either), and he had quite the career in the end :lol:

Edited by OpenC

Jenas could have been a top player. He was sensational in his first season with us. He seemed to struggle emotionally and also with niggly injuries. 

Make no mistake, he won Young Player of the Year on merit and at that point he looked like he could go to the very top. The goal he scored against Man U when they thumped us (again) was an absolute belter.

4 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Dyer was one of our best players when fit.. but he earned the bling bling tag and was a right cunt in public by all accounts. We held onto him for too long.

Jenas was good for us, can’t remember him having a poor game. He just wasn’t built enough or experienced enough to compete in a midfield against the likes of Keane and Vieira. There was hype around him though and we should have cashed in sooner and made more from that deal. He went to Spurs for a fairly low fee in the end. 7m?

He had a lot of poor games in his final season or so.  Went completely off the boil - that’s why we pretty much got back what we paid for him. 

4 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

@Wullie

26 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He had a lot of poor games in his final season or so.  Went completely off the boil - that’s why we pretty much got back what we paid for him. 

I don’t think he quite fit in with the characters in the dressing room. If I remember correctly he shared a birthday with SBR so am guessing Bobby took him under his wing (teachers pet type thing).. he may have been very much out of sorts and unsettled after he got sacked. He was gone within a year?

He’s about as boring as Michael Owen as a pundit but I can’t say I ever had any bad feelings towards him, even the goldfish bowl comment was fairly tame compared to how some players have been disrespectful.

6 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I don’t think he quite fit in with the characters in the dressing room. If I remember correctly he shared a birthday with SBR so am guessing Bobby took him under his wing (teachers pet type thing).. he may have been very much out of sorts and unsettled after he got sacked. He was gone within a year?

He’s about as boring as Michael Owen as a pundit but I can’t say I ever had any bad feelings towards him, even the goldfish bowl comment was fairly tame compared to how some players have been disrespectful.

Jenas was very much part of that group after his first season.  I saw him enough times in Baja Beach Club to confirm that.  He started acting the twat and word got around - which is where the ‘goldfish bowl’ comment came from.  

5 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

What the fuck is this 

Jermaine quite regularly couldn't be arsed. I will offer him some defence though; he never made the fish bowl comment. That came from his dimwitted manager. 

And on the subject of Graeme Souness, I could never fathom why our fans turned against Bellamy, who used to apply himself more on the pitch than Dyer and Jenas combined. What was Craig's crime? Falling out with Souness? He should've been fan favourite #1 for upsetting him. And hearing Shearer still referring to "Souey" makes me want to reach for the sick bucket. Or the golf club.

Edited by Monkey Alan

We can point fingers at the players as much as we want but ultimately with a huge amount of hindsight probably Robson who got things wrong.

On the continent Robson surrounded himself with elite football coaches. However for us he appointed some really weird nobody coaches like Mick Wadsworth and John Carver.

Despite his individual brilliance we never actually got peak Robson because he didn’t have that team with him. Which is why he ultimately didn’t reach the heights that he could have done.

2 hours ago, Monkey Alan said:

Jermaine quite regularly couldn't be arsed. I will offer him some defence though; he never made the fish bowl comment. That came from his dimwitted manager. 

And on the subject of Graeme Souness, I could never fathom why our fans turned against Bellamy, who used to apply himself more on the pitch than Dyer and Jenas combined. What was Craig's crime? Falling out with Souness? He should've been fan favourite #1 for upsetting him. And hearing Shearer still referring to "Souey" makes me want to reach for the sick bucket. Or the golf club.

Bellamy "crime" was to fake an injury on the training pitch to go see the chairman about a possible transfer based on a tabloid story and to tell a coach he was going to do it and not expect to be disciplined.

And then to say "he went behind my back in front of my face"

Aye, Bellamy was a dumb little shit and had an outrageously high opinion of himself.

The bling brat pack we had in the dressing room was fine when results were going our way but the summer we only signed Bowyer on a free it was evident to everyone including the players that the party was over.

Instead of grouping together and trying to maximise a league position, they were all in it for themselves, including Shearer who had been flirting with Liverpool through back channels.

If Robson had any sort of failure at the club it was allowing that sort of mentality to fester, but ultimately the financial position was down to the chairman. Things were not good behind the scenes.

13 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Aye, Bellamy was a dumb little shit and had an outrageously high opinion of himself.

The bling brat pack we had in the dressing room was fine when results were going our way but the summer we only signed Bowyer on a free it was evident to everyone including the players that the party was over.

Instead of grouping together and trying to maximise a league position, they were all in it for themselves, including Shearer who had been flirting with Liverpool through back channels.

If Robson had any sort of failure at the club it was allowing that sort of mentality to fester, but ultimately the financial position was down to the chairman. Things were not good behind the scenes.

We were staying in the team’s hotel in Feyenord. I know he scored the winner but what an arrogant wanker he was. 

Sir John Hall was top class. Sat for a drink with us pre-match. 

Then I shit myself for the next 3 hours - rough old place.

7 minutes ago, Earp said:

We were staying in the team’s hotel in Feyenord. I know he scored the winner but what an arrogant wanker he was. 

Sir John Hall was top class. Sat for a drink with us pre-match

Did you ask him home much actual cash he put into the club compared to how much he's put into the tories? 

16 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Jenas was very much part of that group after his first season.  I saw him enough times in Baja Beach Club to confirm that.  He started acting the twat and word got around - which is where the ‘goldfish bowl’ comment came from.  

Didn't he also moan about needing to pay for a hairdresser to fly up to do his hair?

I seem to recall something like that.

Footballers, so weird sometimes...

Edit- looked it up. He had to go back to Nottingham whenever he wanted a hair cut.

Newcastle apparently had no suitable hairdressers.

The poor, poor man! 🤣

Edited by Joe1984

8 hours ago, Earp said:

Sir John Hall was top class. Sat for a drink with us pre-match. 

Only time I've been scared in or around a football match was in Italy, Roma playing Galatasaray.. didn't go to the match but the Ultras were squaring up right beside our hotel as we were supposed to be heading out.. was more than happy to hang out in the lobby for a while 🙂