Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Some nice tributes to the man via donations on that website.

Sirbobbyrobosonfoundation website has crashed.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Inter Milan manager Jose Mourinho has also been quick to salute Sir Bobby.

The Portuguese was plucked from obscurity by Robson during his time at Sporting Lisbon, and went on to work under him at Porto and Barcelona, before going on to great success in his own right at Porto and Chelsea.

“I have no words to speak about Mr Robson," he said.

"That's why for a few months I have been unable to talk to him. It is difficult to accept such a person is no longer with us - but he is immortal because he leaves in everybody who knows him a mark of his personality - a great coach but, more than that, a great person.”

The obituary on the BBC that they'll probably be having on the 1pm, 6pm 10pm news states that Sir Bobby's spell at Newcastle 'was not a success.'

Any way of getting this corrected, does anyone think?

I would call taking over a team struggling to stay in the Premier League and turning them into a Champions League team within a matter of seasons on a tight budget a huge success. BBC had better correct it.

Guest ItalianMagpie

Speechless.

A great man and the last great coach we had, maybe the greatest ever. I hoped he could live enough to see us getting back in the Premiership, thank you Ashley also for this.

RIP

How anyone can claim he wasnt sucessfull at Newcaslte is clearly clueless. Other than under Keegan we had our best and sucessfull times under Robson. The Robson years were fantastic. We were in the running for the title, Champions league football. Although we didnt get a trophy, that dosent matter. The Robson years were by far my most enjoyable supporting Newcastle United. What I'd give to go back to them.

Inter Milan manager Jose Mourinho has also been quick to salute Sir Bobby.

The Portuguese was plucked from obscurity by Robson during his time at Sporting Lisbon, and went on to work under him at Porto and Barcelona, before going on to great success in his own right at Porto and Chelsea.

“I have no words to speak about Mr Robson," he said.

"That's why for a few months I have been unable to talk to him. It is difficult to accept such a person is no longer with us - but he is immortal because he leaves in everybody who knows him a mark of his personality - a great coach but, more than that, a great person.”

I'm not a fan of Jose, but that shows genuine class :clap:

RIP Sir Bobby, thanks for the memories.

Guest Heneage

Love Jose for that, he clearly respects than man that essentially made him.

I remember the 4-3 vs Man United too, was that Roberts debut? Magic freekick.

I just remembered how he expressed his interest about our national team manager job about a year before the 2006 WC. He was in the running till the end but the FA decided against it because they were worried about his health. (We ended up with Advocaat)

In the end I think it was a good decision because his health did start deteriorating rapidly after that, but I can't help but wonder how beautiful it would have been if one of my sporting heroes had been able to manage my national team and take us to glory.

English version for the Inter tribute:

http://www.inter.it/aas/news/reader?N=31860&L=en

Mourinho said: "I didn't talk with him in the last two months because it was hard for me. It was hard for me because I didn't want to think that he was dying, it wasn't that image of Bobby Robson that I wanted to keep forever, it wasn't that voice that I wanted to hear. I wanted, and I will always keep it with me, the Bobby Robson of every day, a man with an extraordinary passion for life and football, with extraordinary enthusiasm. Bobby Robson is one of those people who will never die, not just for what he did in his career, for a victory more or a victory less, but for everything that he gave to those who like me were lucky to know him and walk by his side. My thoughts and embrace go to his loved ones."

Aye, the full Jose quote is just perfect:

"I didn't talk with him in the last two months because it was hard for me. It was hard for me because I didn't want to think that he was dying, it wasn't that image of Bobby Robson that I wanted to keep forever, it wasn't that voice that I wanted to hear. I wanted, and I will always keep it with me, the Bobby Robson of every day, a man with an extraordinary passion for life and football, with extraordinary enthusiasm. Bobby Robson is one of those people who will never die, not just for what he did in his career, for a victory more or a victory less, but for everything that he gave to those who like me were lucky to know him and walk by his side. My thoughts and embrace go to his loved ones."

English version for the Inter tribute:

http://www.inter.it/aas/news/reader?N=31860&L=en

Mourinho said: "I didn't talk with him in the last two months because it was hard for me. It was hard for me because I didn't want to think that he was dying, it wasn't that image of Bobby Robson that I wanted to keep forever, it wasn't that voice that I wanted to hear. I wanted, and I will always keep it with me, the Bobby Robson of every day, a man with an extraordinary passion for life and football, with extraordinary enthusiasm. Bobby Robson is one of those people who will never die, not just for what he did in his career, for a victory more or a victory less, but for everything that he gave to those who like me were lucky to know him and walk by his side. My thoughts and embrace go to his loved ones."

Always admired Jose. He is a classy person.

Its a bit spur of the moment but in my state of mourning I have decided that I'm going to do the 2010 Great North Run in aid of Sir Bobby's foundation.

Love Jose for that, he clearly respects than man that essentially made him.

I remember the 4-3 vs Man United too, was that Roberts debut? Magic freekick.

That was my first match as a season ticket holder. Van Nistelrooy took time to shake Sir Bobbys hand before that game iirc.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I think mayeb we should rename a stand in his memory. The Sir Bobby Robson stand. O0

Jack Charlton, though: totally rambling. :lol:

He just told his dog to shut up barking :lol:

:lol: Love Jackie Charlton, funny likeable bloke.

Oh, he's as straight as they come and have a lot of time for him because of that, but honestly sometimes it's like listening to an embarassing uncle.