Simon Cox chose WBA over NUFC

LooneyToonArmy

Huge link

West Brom signing Simon Cox on why he preferred Baggies over Newcastle

SIMON Cox admits he could well have been lining up for Newcastle against Albion on Saturday had they not been in such turmoil.

The striker, 22, who is still finding his feet at Albion following his £1.9 million move from Swindon, was coveted by Newcastle around the time the Baggies stepped up their interest in him.

Albion beat Newcastle to the signature of Cox, announcing his arrival just a few days after Roberto Di Matteo had taken over as head coach.

The two clubs meet for what is expected to be an emotionally-charged game following last Friday’s death of Sir Bobby Robson.

Cox claims the summer-long uncertainty over Newcastle’s future – not least the lack of manager – convinced him to go elsewhere.

“There was truth in that story but they had no manager so why would I go there?” Cox told the Birmingham Mail.

“If they had been sorted and not in turmoil then it might have been a different story but they weren’t, they were in dire straits so I came to Albion and I moved on.

“And I’m very happy to be here.

“We need to make sure we go into that match with confidence and hopefully we’ll all be trying to be in the manager’s first XI for that game.”

Cox made a point of stating he would not have joined Albion had their own managerial issue not been resolved.

He has been impressed with Roberto Di Matteo so far.

“He’s very quiet,” added Cox.

“I was talking to a few people and they like what they see.

“I’ll get to adjust to what he’s like and hopefully we’ll get used to him over the season and have fun when appropriate but also be serious when we need to be.”

Cox is expected to start alongside Luke Moore against Newcastle.

He has been impressed with Moore’s performances during the pre-season.

“Luke is similar to me, has two good feet and is a predator,” he added.

“I’d be happy to play alongside him if I was selected.

“Every game he’s played he’s looked lively and sharp and scored a few goals so he’s full of confidence.”

Can see him raping us on the opening game, serves the club right.

Funny how when we're linked with players from league 1, people assume they won't cut it at this level. When they're about to play against us, they're world beaters.

Funny how when we're linked with players from league 1, people assume they won't cut it at this level. When they're about to play against us, they're world beaters.

Because assuming the worst in every situation is the logical thing to do with NUFC?

orient gave us a pasting  :-[

I got banned for trying to tell some dipshit what a good player he was but the moron thought Ameobi and Smith were better options.  :lol:

What did he go for? £1.5m? Steal imo.

Mofo: Could be an exceptional signing for the price, one we should have gone for no matter what, better than anything we've currently got thats for sure. Scored just as many goals IIRC as Beckford in a shitter team in the same league, reckon he's ready for the step up, got a bit of the Dean Ashton's about him when he was at Crewe. He could stall or fade, it's easy done, and for sure he hasn't got limitless potential and is a late developer, but with the right coaching and number of games he's got a good chance of making it; so he's probably made the right choice avoiding us. :(

I got banned for trying to tell some dipshit what a good player he was but the moron thought Ameobi and Smith were better options.  :lol:

Mofo: Could be an exceptional signing for the price, one we should have gone for no matter what, better than anything we've currently got thats for sure. Scored just as many goals IIRC as Beckford in a shitter team in the same league, reckon he's ready for the step up, got a bit of the Dean Ashton's about him when he was at Crewe. He could stall or fade, it's easy done, and for sure he hasn't got limitless potential and is a late developer, but with the right coaching and number of games he's got a good chance of making it; so he's probably made the right choice avoiding us. :(

Cheers.

Guest frazernufc

I reckon he will make the step up into the championship. Anyone who hasnt seen him this is just one of his 30 odd goals he scored

Beckford got more ;-)

Beckford got more ;-)

How many more league goals?

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/Goalscorers/0,,10341~200810341,00.html

29 league goals for Cox.

http://www.leedsunited.com/page/PlayerProfiles/0,,10273~36340,00.html

27 league goals for Beckford.

Guest Slippery Sam

What a load of bollocks.

Is the right answer.

The player is just trying to curry favour with the Baggies fans.

Beckford got more ;-)

How many more league goals?

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/Goalscorers/0,,10341~200810341,00.html

29 league goals for Cox.

http://www.leedsunited.com/page/PlayerProfiles/0,,10273~36340,00.html

27 league goals for Beckford.

Didn't Beckford miss 3/4 months of the season with injury?

Guest timmy boy

Don't know anything about Cox apart from that he scored one of the best goals I have ever seen last season. Running on to a long ball he took it out of the air with one touch and buried it with his second touch,still on the volley from about 30 yards. Pure class.

What a load of bollocks.

Is the right answer.

He's not doing a very good job of it then - "If they had been sorted and not in turmoil then it might have been a different story but they weren’t, they were in dire straits so I came to Albion and I moved on."

ie "I'd rather have gone to Newcastle, but they're in the shit so I came here instead, it'll have to do."

Imagine if a player joined us and said something like that.  :nope:

What a load of bollocks.

Is the right answer.

He's not doing a very good job of it then - "If they had been sorted and not in turmoil then it might have been a different story but they werent, they were in dire straits so I came to Albion and I moved on."

ie "I'd rather have gone to Newcastle, but they're in the shit so I came here instead, it'll have to do."

Imagine if a player joined us and said something like that.  :nope:

Owen added: "I spoke to Liverpool and unfortunately that deal couldn't come off."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4200808.stm

Beckford got more ;-)

He'll probably sign for someone else as well  O0