The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Villa need a spark in the centre for me. Watching them tonight they never looked particularly dangerous and looked pretty predictable. Away from home they allow the other team to press them then hit them on the break and they are excellent at it. When it comes to home games when they're the ones who need to take the initiative they look a bit lost and devoid of unpredictability. The two in the centre just look like a pair of square ball merchants constantly giving it out wide to Young, that seems to be they're only tactic and they don't have a plan B other than whack it up to Carew and Heskey. Think they should have got Tuncay.

That's why they're after Nicky Butt...

Villa need a spark in the centre for me. Watching them tonight they never looked particularly dangerous and looked pretty predictable. Away from home they allow the other team to press them then hit them on the break and they are excellent at it. When it comes to home games when they're the ones who need to take the initiative they look a bit lost and devoid of unpredictability. The two in the centre just look like a pair of square ball merchants constantly giving it out wide to Young, that seems to be they're only tactic and they don't have a plan B other than whack it up to Carew and Heskey. Think they should have got Tuncay.

That's exactly it, but it works for them when they play 4-5-1. I can't believe that he doesn't play 4-5-1 in every game. They could easily have lost if Liverpool had scored in that mad goalmouth scramble, but they found their feet and started playing the same way that was so successful last year. Keep it tight, give the ball to Young at every opportunity and try to win free-kicks and corners. If they score, there's more pressure on the oppo, they come forward which allows Villa to pick them off on the break.

The main problem with the tactic is that it is predictable, and works best away from home. If it isn't working he doesn't have a clue.

So because they get knocked out of the UEFA Cup, Martin O'Neill is a bad manager?

Against Rapid Vienna at home? Yes.

:kasper:

They won the match but lost on away goals.  Villa reached 5th place last season, building a good, young side that has just recently beat Liverpool at Anfield and now he is a bad manager.  Deary me.

Gone within a month imo.

Villa getting beat has made my night!!  They were a nothing club to me until the last game of last season,  the way there fans reacted to us makes me want to see them get twatted every week!

Guest neesy111

i can't believe the amount of very average english players o'neill has bought, they'll finish 9th at best next season i feel

Guest Roger Kint

i can't believe the amount of very average english players o'neill has bought, they'll finish 9th at best next season i feel

Just cant get my head around him paying £8m for Warnock when he has a slightly better LB in Shorey. ???

Just cant get my head around him paying £8m for Warnock when he has a slightly better LB in Shorey. ???

MUST BE PREMIERSHIP PLAYER, MUST BE MEDIOCRE. NO MORE THAN 12m, NO LESS THAN 6m. POSITION IS IRRELEVANT.

Guest Roger Kint

MUST BE PREMIERSHIP PLAYER, MUST BE MEDIOCRE. NO MORE THAN 12m, NO LESS THAN 6m. POSITION IS IRRELEVANT.

;D

Villa are rubbish in Europe because Martin O'Neill only buys British players.

No, it's because he plays his reserves.

No, it's because his squad is too thin. He doesn't buy enough players, and their playing style is predictable.