The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

All England friendlies are the same.  Play absolutely s*** but somehow manage to scum their way to a win.

Don't look at us. It was all Japan ;)

All England friendlies are the same.  Play absolutely shit but somehow manage to scum their way to a win.

Not a fan?

I don't hate England or anything, it's just pretty ridiculous.

:lol: And everyone here starts acting like Liverpool fans. It's amazing what happens when the shirts change.

All England friendlies are the same.  Play absolutely shit but somehow manage to scum their way to a win.

Not a fan?

I don't hate England or anything, it's just pretty ridiculous.

Not good to watch but it's an important quality to have, tbh.

Guest neesy111

I have to say, capello's preparation's to me have made the players not to be in good condition!

why fly off to Switzerland, fly back for a game in london and then fly back to Switzerland

Coming away from these games having won both is going to be absolutely crucial. Play bad, lose bad = chaos. Play bad, win... that's enormous.

It was beyond sluggish though. I really think we should have had a couple more friendlies; we were still experimenting with 15 minutes to go. Looking into the crystal ball - if we don't hit the ground running straight away, with these piss-easy group games - we'll come up against a decent nation in the early knockouts and go down without a whimper. We're certainly a machine at the moment but at the end of the day, we're still yet to come up against a genuinely top-tier side with Capello.

I don't doubt Capello but it was infuriating seeing one or two personnel out there getting game time. Notably SWP and Carragher. We know them both to a tee, and they're barely worth a place in the squad - particularly the former. Lumping Gerrard and Lampard together in the middle again was particularly frustrating.

But like i say - we've won both of the matches and that's huge.

A sea change in the performance in the second half. We had players who could shift the ball forward and open up space.

Joe Cole will have convinced Capello that he should go.

The selection that bothers me is out wide. I'm assuming he'll take two of Lennon, Walcott and SWP. Lennon is nailed on, but I worry he'll take Walcott, who is completely one dimensional and won't trouble decent defences. SWP, for all his faults, can be a threat at this level and should go.

I have to say, capello's preparation's to me have made the players not to be in good condition!

why fly off to Switzerland, fly back for a game in london and then fly back to Switzerland

fly them over to switzerland, and they won't be needing a return flight.

Guest firetotheworks

A sea change in the performance in the second half. We had players who could shift the ball forward and open up space.

Joe Cole will have convinced Capello that he should go.

The selection that bothers me is out wide. I'm assuming he'll take two of Lennon, Walcott and SWP. Lennon is nailed on, but I worry he'll take Walcott, who is completely one dimensional and won't trouble decent defences. SWP, for all his faults, can be a threat at this level and should go.

They're all essentially the same player imo. Walcott has been shite for the last two seasons. As much as I think SWP is absolutely shite, I'd have him ahead of Walcott too.

It's stuck me that since Beckham is now getting on a bit and won't be too much more than bit part, we have no "cultured" options for the right wing. SWP, Walcott and Lennon are our best three wingers and they're all headless chicken 'all-pace-and-no-brain" types. Lennon is better than the other two and I think they're both as shit as each other.

Well, that was shit. A miserable 90 minutes and we've now lost our second-choice CB. Good times.

A lot hinges on the Spain friendly now. If we give a credible performance in that we should still be able to keep the "feel-good" atmosphere going into South Africa. If we get slaughtered, well, we're pretty much fucked.

Guest firetotheworks

Capello should just pick Bale.  Then again, he doesn't watch teams outside the top 4.

:lol: Is that a joke? I can't tell.

It's stuck me that since Beckham is now getting on a bit and won't be too much more than bit part, we have no "cultured" options for the right wing. SWP, Walcott and Lennon are our best three wingers and they're all headless chicken 'all-pace-and-no-brain" types. Lennon is better than the other two and I think they're both as shit as each other.

ryan taylor  O0  :cheesy:

Guest firetotheworks

It's stuck me that since Beckham is now getting on a bit and won't be too much more than bit part, we have no "cultured" options for the right wing. SWP, Walcott and Lennon are our best three wingers and they're all headless chicken 'all-pace-and-no-brain" types. Lennon is better than the other two and I think they're both as s*** as each other.

ryan taylor  O0  :cheesy:

He's not English.