The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Well, if we get into regional identity thing, support for Spain inside Catalonia is low, low, low, due to political reasons.

Are they still wanting to break away?

Also do Espanyol generally have a fanbase that wants to stay a part of Spain and Barca who don't?, similar to Celtic and Rangers fans in N.Ireland?

According to a poll last year, separatist support in Catalonia hovers around 30-35%. Which is far from a majority but not really negligible.

In general, Catalan Barça fans are more pro-independence, and Espanyol ones not. But it's not as clear cut or radical as the Celtic/Rangers situation (thank god). Espanyol's chairman, for example, is the brother of a Catalan Nationalist MP and he used to be member of the party himself. The fanbases are far more diverse than what they have been pigeonholed in (Barça = Catalans, Espanyol = Spanish immigrants), particularly in recent years.

Laporta and most current board members are pretty openly separatists. That's the one thing I don't like about them, a football club board shouldn't cast their lot in politics.

Newcastle winning the Carling Cup or England winning the World Cup?

Carling Cup, every time. England are only there to fill in the gaps every other summer (apart from the summer of 08 though).

Though I would rather England win trophies ahead of every other nation.

Carling Cup is bloody tinpot though. Chances are it will be gone in a few years anyway.

So, I'd rather see Newcastle win something then England win something, club ahead of country.

We're the only country on the planet that puts clubs before our own country

I'm inclined to agree, but it's sad I think.

i'll bet you'll find many people abroad who'll put their domestic teams fortunes before their national teams ?

Unless you live in one of the better regions of Europe, chances are you don't support your domestic teams at all, never mind putting them above your nation. I can proudly state where I'm from, but I'm not living or dying based on the fortunes of Ibadan Shooting Stars, or any other teams in that corrupt, mismanaged s***hole of a league. I personally regard NUFC and Marseille above my "local" team and my country above all. I heavily doubt that any foreign supporter of European club is putting them above their country, unless their Indian and no one cares.

If England were playing in my back garden i'd shut the curtains

I wouldn't, I'd be charging people to come and watch, a fewdeck chairs and such, be pretty small though playing football in my garden, I doubt you coud fit 22 people in it never mind them play a game of football on it. My old garden though, fucking hell it was like a forest.

Most posters in bigsoccer are Americans, not really representative. They are very patriotic and they lack an established club tradition.

That's probably the case. However I'd say for example Africans, Asians and Australians would also favour country over club while Europeans and possibly South Americans would go with clubs. The reason you mentioned would explain this to be honest.

If I was forced to give an answer to this question, I'd probably end up saying Newcastle because it's what I invest the most money, time and passion into. However what I don't understand is when people are proud to say club over country, where they're happy to disregard their nationality because of local pride. This seems to be quite a common trend, and I think it's sad.

Definitely wouldn't.

I'm a massive part-time England fan like. Only make effort to watch decent qualifiers and tournament games, still want them to do well though but don't give a shit if they don't.

Well, if we get into regional identity thing, support for Spain inside Catalonia is low, low, low, due to political reasons.

Yeah I was gonna say, the likelihood of a Barca fan being representative of Spain as a whole is pretty slim.

I Follow Scotland as a rule i think you find a lot of people in Newcastle and Northumbria tend to rather than England, and i just tend to want to watch the England national team fall on their arses constantly due to the southern based media wankfest that follows them...Its a joke that whenever they are dumped out of Tournaments its always someone elses fault..Ronaldo,Diego Simeone,The Ref blah blah blah. When living and working in London i was once called a non true football fan by some inbred cockney Chelsea tosspot because i said id never put England before Newcastle..FFS Id rather NEWCASTLE WON A THROW IN THAN ENGLAND THE WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!

I Follow Scotland as a rule i think you find a lot of people in Newcastle and Northumbria tend to rather than England, and i just tend to want to watch the England national team fall on their arses constantly due to the southern based media wankfest that follows them...Its a joke that whenever they are dumped out of Tournaments its always someone elses fault..Ronaldo,Diego Simeone,The Ref blah blah blah. When living and working in London i was once called a non true football fan by some inbred cockney Chelsea tosspot because i said id never put England before Newcastle..FFS Id rather NEWCASTLE WON A THROW IN THAN ENGLAND THE WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd rather saw off my own foot than support Scotland ffs. Mental way of thinking that like.

The reason I give a shit is basically because the World Cup is the best competition that exists ever.

Still be equally as good if England weren't taking part though.

Not true, the Euros were decent but not nearly as good when you don't have a vested interest. Stupid McClaren.

It's beyond me why so many stupid fucks decide to rebel against supporting England just for the sake of it. Especially when it's because of ridiculous shit about South vs North.

The reason I give a shit is basically because the World Cup is the best competition that exists ever.

Not true, the Euros were decent but not nearly as good when you don't have a vested interest. Stupid McClaren.

It's beyond me why so many stupid fucks decide to rebel against supporting England just for the sake of it. Especially when it's because of ridiculous shit about South vs North.

really? i thought the euros quality wise was one of the best tournements ive seen myself

really? i thought the euros quality wise was one of the best tournements ive seen myself

It was, it was a great tournament, but it's just not the same when you don't have a team involved. Much like the Premiership this year (If the Premiership was good).

I guess you're probably just used to it...

It was, it was a great tournament, but it's just not the same when you don't have a team involved. Much like the Premiership this year (If the Premiership was good).

I guess you're probably just used to it...

just a bit :weep: though this summers one will be hard to take france being there :angry:

I thought the Euro's were belting tbh. Was nice to have coverage of the actual games rather than just ramming England down your throat at every possible opportunity. Was very understated coverage and lack of hype was nice too.

Are you Scottish? If not then you are talking absolute shite.

I thought the Euro's were belting tbh. Was nice to have coverage of the actual games rather than just ramming England down your throat at every possible opportunity. Was very understated coverage and lack of hype was nice too.

Aye I concur. I'd love it if we didn't have the media hype shit and the terrible commentator bias, but I don't find it that hard to look past tbh.

What is it in England with the World Cup on TV btw? Is it on free-TV or do only Sky Sports have the rights to show it?

BBC and ITV, it is one of the protected events which has to be on free TV.