The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

After their poor start I was very impressed with Bayern tonight, probably because I didn't expect much from them. They weren't spectacular but they were persistent and although Man Utd weren't at their best, few can say they didn't deserve to take a lead into the 2nd leg.

Can someone who watches them more tell me: what's the deal with Klose? Was he carrying a knock, hence not starting? That said, Olic looked good, if more in a Dirk Kuyt sort of way than anything else.

Good win for Lyon as well. Can't see Bordeaux overturning that.

Klose was shit recently and all season. Has only scored 2 goals in the Bundesliga iirc.

Ah right. I still live in a world of "HE ALWAYS SCORES AT THE WORLD CUP YOU KNOW!?"

You are right to live in that world. You could almost say  "he always scores for Germany!"

After their poor start I was very impressed with Bayern tonight, probably because I didn't expect much from them. They weren't spectacular but they were persistent and although Man Utd weren't at their best, few can say they didn't deserve to take a lead into the 2nd leg.

Can someone who watches them more tell me: what's the deal with Klose? Was he carrying a knock, hence not starting? That said, Olic looked good, if more in a Dirk Kuyt sort of way than anything else.

Good win for Lyon as well. Can't see Bordeaux overturning that.

I thought Olic was absolutely shit. Headless chicken just like every time I saw him play for CSKA.

Took the goal well to be fair, but I don't rate him at all and can't believe he's ended up at Bayern. They look pretty poor up front these days actually.

Missing Lucio at the back big time as well but the midfield was impressive and still has Robben & Schweinsteiger to come in.

Headless chicken perhaps, but an annoying headless chicken to play against, hence the Kuyt comparisons. I agree they desperately miss Lucio, I was generally impressed by their mental toughness - especially after getting it to 1-1, they kept pressing looking for a 2nd and it duly arrived.

Headless chicken perhaps, but an annoying headless chicken to play against, hence the Kuyt comparisons. I agree they desperately miss Lucio, I was generally impressed by their mental toughness - especially after getting it to 1-1, they kept pressing looking for a 2nd and it duly arrived.

Yeah, I think a lot of that was down to van Bommel who marshalled the team so well and kept them pressing United all game.

He's a player that's been criticised a lot in recent years but I've always liked him and thought he did a superb job in the middle tonight, so assured. :thup:

Guest Heneage

Yeah, I think a lot of that was down to van Bommel who marshalled the team so well and kept them pressing United all game.

He's a player that's been criticised a lot in recent years but I've always liked him and thought he did a superb job in the middle tonight, so assured. :thup:

We could do with someone like that.

We could do with someone like that.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2271/nickybutt625818.jpg

That's one thing that Van Gaal has going for him. He is very tenacious and he always tries to bring that to his sides (which can or can't work depending on the player mentality). I remember very vividly how he pretty much called us "Spanish softies" after your 3-2 win at SJP.

each time ive seen Olic he plays well and has an influence on the game. he is not the tidest player, but he is quick, tenacious, makes defenders worry and does a hell of a lot in terms of creating space and chances for team mates. bit like a fast version of kuyt, or a less refined bellamy.

bobby robson confirms in his book he was going for van bommell but kieron dyer convonced him to sign nicky butt.

I always said Kieron Dyer was his illegitimate son. It is the only way it makes sense that 1. he ever listened to him about anything 2. always played him no matter what and 3. always forgave him no matter how badly he screwed up.

Dyer was born in Ipswich ~9 months after SBR won the UEFA cup with them. Coincidence - I think not.

bobby robson confirms in his book he was going for van bommell but kieron dyer convonced him to sign nicky butt.

I always said Kieron Dyer was his illegitimate son. It is the only way it makes sense that 1. he ever listened to him about anything 2. always played him no matter what and 3. always forgave him no matter how badly he screwed up.

Dyer was born in Ipswich ~9 months after SBR won the UEFA cup with them. Coincidence - I think not.

d'you remember that robson documentary ? theres a bit in it when hes talking to the interviewer and all the players are having lunch, going on about the difference now with players, tells a story about a player who wanted to turn the caoch round as he'd forgot his diamond ear stud.....he was glaring with disgust towards where/whom i wonder ?

If he was letting Keiron Dyer pick his signings then we deserve everything we got TBH.

tbf to Kieron Dyer - he was probably right here. Nicky Butt at least once was a very good footballer while I'm wondering everytime I see how Van Bommel could ever become a pro. footballer. He can't pick a long pass and has absolutely no technical ability. The only thing he can is making a sliding tackle. Butt at least knows how to do a overhead kick.

Guest neesy111

we turned down carrick a season earlier cos shepherd said he wasn't worth 1M  :facepalm:

And he was proved right. He cost 14m :pow:

:blush: