West Brom 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 08/08/09 - post match reaction from page 34

Dave

Smith was superb today, well worthy of the captaincy. I felt ill watching Nolan strolling around the pitch today, should have scored as well. Barton must start the next game, with Lua Lua and Ranger having a role as subs.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Barton showed more class than our entire squad combined in his short appearance, he will be the best midfielder in the championship imo.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

No surprise as soon as Carroll came off our attack died on its arse relying on Shola. Even Ranger in 3mins managed to link up better and set up a shot at goal!

Harper 6

Enrique 6

S.Taylor 7

Coloccini 6

R.Taylor 6

Duff 7

Nolan 5

Smith © 7

Jonas 7

Ameobi 5

Carroll 6

Krul 8

Barton 6

Ranger n/a

Those are generous like!

Jonas 7?! Whinged, cringed and minged about for 90mins.

Carroll only a 6? He was the link between midfield and attack

Colocinni a 6 too?

Harper 6

Enrique 6

S.Taylor 7

Coloccini 6

R.Taylor 6

Duff 7

Nolan 5

Smith © 7

Jonas 7

Ameobi 5

Carroll 6

Krul 8

Barton 6

Ranger n/a

How did you give Coloccini the same mark as Carroll?

Good lord

do we have any good young full backs coming through?, because Taylor and Jose are a joke

Kadar for Colo next game

Bottom line is we drew 1-1 away against the team you'd expect to be our main title rivals this season, and outplayed them for large stretches of the game. A few things need sorting, but is primarily about getting in a manager and owner who are going to get the team doing this in more than one game.

I think it is clear that what is very average technique for the Premier League is going to give us lots of time on the ball, lots of possession. We just need to sort out the final ball, tactically reassess how we attack, and work on our defence of set pieces. And we need to try and keep most of these players.

This is really weird but I think Smith was our MOTM.

Won plenty of tackles but still shows zero footballing ability.

If he can win the ball like he did today and lay it off, he'll be fine

Guest palnese

Harper 6

Enrique 6

S.Taylor 7

Coloccini 5

R.Taylor 6

Duff 7

Nolan 5

Smith © 7

Jonas 6

Ameobi 5

Carroll 7

Krul 9

Barton 6,5

Ranger 10

He'd be very useful if we actually had someone who can play football next to him, possibly Barton. Or if Hughton's gonna stick with the man behind the front 2, Kazenga. He seemed to run the midfield on his today as Nolan must of been smokin a joint with the tabloid photographers or something for all I know.

Without doubt. Barton should have started if Hughton was still willing to use him.

If he can win the ball like he did today and lay it off, he'll be fine

Aye, like a poor man's Makalele...

Thought Smith was outstanding. Shame he had treacle legs to support him.

Enjoyed the game come the end, but there were still plenty moments of  :facepalm: in all areas of the pitch.

Think if the club was settled and we had a decent manager then we would of won this game.

Great to see Nile Ranger on the pitch.  Should have got at least 10 minutes though (or more!) as Ameobi was the master of losing the ball in good positions as usual.

Duff's goal was very positive as the football move was decent and he hit a good goal.

Away draw against West Brom will be a decent result for any team this year, so glad we got it.  Bring on Reading.

Carrol, Smith, Enrique and especially Krul all excellent.

A good result from a managerless paper thin squad'd toon :)

also looking forward to seeing more of barton and of course, the NILE!

ps - Shola was a disgrace, fell over about 40 times and did fuck all.

Guest Phil K

Coloccini , Ameobi , Raylor and Nolan were abysmal .

Krul should be number 1  but Hughton hasn't got the balls to drop Harper though.  

He wouldn't dare NOT to, after today.

Guest michaelfoster

Harper 6

Enrique 6

S.Taylor 7

Coloccini 6

R.Taylor 6

Duff 7

Nolan 5

Smith © 7

Jonas 7

Ameobi 5

Carroll 6

Krul 8

Barton 6

Ranger n/a

How did you give Coloccini the same mark as Carroll?

Good lord

Colo made a couple of vital tackles on the edge of the penalty area, i think its his positioning that lets him down

Shola needs to be banaished from the team.  Like to see us play one up top.  Carroll, Ranger and Xisco can lead the line in turns.

Kadar needs to play instead of Colo the clown

I dont know wtf is up with all this surprise about Krul,  he's been class every chance he's been given.  Only surprise is Harper starting before him.

Shola should not get any more chances, bench for the rest of the season. And where was the logic in leaving him on as lone striker when he has trouble keeping hold of the ball at the best of times, Carroll a far more obvious choice surely. Smith MOM. Great second half from Krul. Diabolical final balls from Raylor and Enrique, they just shouldn't overlap as giving the ball away in the final third just gifts the opposition a counter 9 time out of 10. Want to see more of Ranger, he should definitely start ahead of Shola for me. Not too much wrong with Nolan provided he stays in the opposition half, he bottles it too much in our half.

Collocini is never going to adjust imo, his bottles gone - if he ever had it to begin with.

Don't agree with the assessment that WBA will be one of the strongest teams we'll face. No way to tell that yet. Point away from home was acceptable, but a different gameplan from caretaker could have seen all three points coming home with us.

Ranger MOM for that chest down to Duff tbh.

Think he should get it for covering more ground all match than shola.

Got to hand it to Shola though he is extremely consistent at conceding freekicks and getting himself offside