Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Nobody could describe those bids as anything other than big, or ill-advised. Totally goes against what Pardew says in that article and the other one.

Just think you're spending too much time reading things into every comment in the papers.  Do you think Pardew even has the power to decide the clubs transfer policy?  He'll maybe get asked "Would you like N'Zogbia" and he'll say yes obviously..

“I signed Nicky Shorey for £10,000 from Leyton Orient when I was at Reading and he went on to be an England international"

Read into that quote what you will. Is he saying that's how we'll sign players?

Come on, people. This aint difficult.

He's not saying we won't pay big money. He's saying you don't have to pay big money to get quality. And he's saying it to publicly distance himself from Joey's rather thoughtless comment about players who come cheap.

Gets a mention in Private Eye this edition:

““This being January, Newcastle United are on the search for lunatics” Rod Liddle wrote in his Sunday Times column last month. “They already have one of course, Joey Barton, but what if Barton is injured or undergoing ECT one week? The answer is – let's sign Stephen Ireland. He's totally bonkers”

Mild stuff by Liddle's standards? Not according to his London lawyers, Messrs Clintons, who want an apology and damages. The article, they claim, has caused the sensitive sportsman “considerable pain and embarrassment” being “clearly defamatory and likely to bring our client into disrepute”.”

It goes on to explain that Barton is, in fact, a shit, providing ample evidence of his failings, before casting doubts on his chances of getting anywhere with the action. It certainly seems a bit frivolous. I wonder if he has been advised to do this, or has something against The Times?

Come on, people. This aint difficult.

He's not saying we won't pay big money. He's saying you don't have to pay big money to get quality. And he's saying it to publicly distance himself from Joey's rather thoughtless comment about players who come cheap

You got it anyway.

““This being January, Newcastle United are on the search for lunatics” Rod Liddle wrote in his Sunday Times column last month. “They already have one of course, Joey Barton, but what if Barton is injured or undergoing ECT one week? The answer is – let's sign Stephen Ireland. He's totally bonkers”

Mild stuff by Liddle's standards? Not according to his London lawyers, Messrs Clintons, who want an apology and damages. The article, they claim, has caused the sensitive sportsman “considerable pain and embarrassment” being “clearly defamatory and likely to bring our client into disrepute”.”

It goes on to explain that Barton is, in fact, a shit, providing ample evidence of his failings, before casting doubts on his chances of getting anywhere with the action. It certainly seems a bit frivolous. I wonder if he has been advised to do this, or has something against The Times?

Rod Liddle writing about football?

FWIW Joey should sue the little shit... calling someone a lunatic in a serious paper is crossing the line.

And he's clearly only mildly deranged now, he hasn't done anything lunatic for at least a few months.

This being January, Newcastle United are on the search for lunatics Rod Liddle wrote in his Sunday Times column last month. They already have one of course, Joey Barton, but what if Barton is injured or undergoing ECT one week? The answer is let's sign Stephen Ireland. He's totally bonkers

Mild stuff by Liddle's standards? Not according to his London lawyers, Messrs Clintons, who want an apology and damages. The article, they claim, has caused the sensitive sportsman considerable pain and embarrassment being clearly defamatory and likely to bring our client into disrepute.

It goes on to explain that Barton is, in fact, a s***, providing ample evidence of his failings, before casting doubts on his chances of getting anywhere with the action. It certainly seems a bit frivolous. I wonder if he has been advised to do this, or has something against The Times?

FWIW Joey should sue the little s***... calling someone a lunatic in a serious paper is crossing the line.

And he's clearly only mildly deranged now, he hasn't done anything lunatic for at least a few months.

I read that and the Eye's piece was itself written like the gutter press articles it so despises and trys to ridicule.  Sad.

Not a big deal, but I'm all for people with deep pockets going after irresponsible journalism. The rampant spread of "Murdochism" means that nowadays the press think they can print anything they want, and of course even listen into private conversations if they fancy.

Guest toonarmymia

This being January, Newcastle United are on the search for lunatics Rod Liddle wrote in his Sunday Times column last month. They already have one of course, Joey Barton, but what if Barton is injured or undergoing ECT one week? The answer is let's sign Stephen Ireland. He's totally bonkers

Mild stuff by Liddle's standards? Not according to his London lawyers, Messrs Clintons, who want an apology and damages. The article, they claim, has caused the sensitive sportsman considerable pain and embarrassment being clearly defamatory and likely to bring our client into disrepute.

It goes on to explain that Barton is, in fact, a s***, providing ample evidence of his failings, before casting doubts on his chances of getting anywhere with the action. It certainly seems a bit frivolous. I wonder if he has been advised to do this, or has something against The Times?

FWIW Joey should sue the little s***... calling someone a lunatic in a serious paper is crossing the line.

I read that and the Eye's piece was itself written like the gutter press articles it so despises and trys to ridicule.  Sad.

Not a big deal, but I'm all for people with deep pockets going after irresponsible journalism. The rampant spread of "Murdochism" means that nowadays the press think they can print anything they want, and of course even listen into private conversations if they fancy.

does anyone have a link for these articles?

It's on their "Street of Shame" page. Their site has selected extracts on it at times but you may have to lash out £1.50 - available at all good newsagents.........................

"“This being January, Newcastle United are on the search for lunatics” Rod Liddle wrote in his Sunday Times column last month. “They already have one of course, Joey Barton, but what if Barton is injured or undergoing ECT one week? The answer is – let's sign Stephen Ireland. He's totally bonkers”

in full:

Mild stuff by Liddle's standards? Not according to his London lawyers, Messrs Clintons, who want an apology and damages. The article, they claim, has caused the sensitive sportsman “considerable pain and embarrassment” being “clearly defamatory and likely to bring our client into disrepute”.

So how, er, “sensitive” is Joey Barton? Well, he stubbed out a lit cigar in a youth's eye at a Christmas party in 2004, was sent home from a Far East tournament the next summer for beating up a 15 year old. In May 2007 he thumped a team mate so violently he detached a retina, and in May 2008 he was given six moths in jail after punching a man unconscious and beating up a teenager.

Barton's lawyers insist that his problems are “behind him” and that, since jail, he is now “a role model for young people”. Really? In may 20098, Newcastle suspended him for what manager Alan Shearer called “a coward's tackle” that saw him sent off. Last November he punched a Blackburn player in the chest, and just before Christmas he made lewd gestures at Liverpool's Fernando Torres and called him a “fucking poof”.

Oddly enough the Sunday Times seems disinclined to grovel to the Clintons' letter."

------

It seems like the Eye is making a fair point. What is Barton going to argue, that these bursts of rage are the product of calculated rationality rather than luncay?

edit:

Can't find the original Liddle bit, probably behind The Times' paywall, but he has a history of going after Barton. The second one sums it up for me. All that "higher calling" stuff is a symptom of something:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/rod_liddle/article6968305.ece

or

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/rod_liddle/article4449472.ece

Guest toonarmymia

"“This being January, Newcastle United are on the search for lunatics” Rod Liddle wrote in his Sunday Times column last month. “They already have one of course, Joey Barton, but what if Barton is injured or undergoing ECT one week? The answer is – let's sign Stephen Ireland. He's totally bonkers”

in full:

Mild stuff by Liddle's standards? Not according to his London lawyers, Messrs Clintons, who want an apology and damages. The article, they claim, has caused the sensitive sportsman “considerable pain and embarrassment” being “clearly defamatory and likely to bring our client into disrepute”.

So how, er, “sensitive” is Joey Barton? Well, he stubbed out a lit cigar in a youth's eye at a Christmas party in 2004, was sent home from a Far East tournament the next summer for beating up a 15 year old. In May 2007 he thumped a team mate so violently he detached a retina, and in May 2008 he was given six moths in jail after punching a man unconscious and beating up a teenager.

Barton's lawyers insist that his problems are “behind him” and that, since jail, he is now “a role model for young people”. Really? In may 20098, Newcastle suspended him for what manager Alan Shearer called “a coward's tackle” that saw him sent off. Last November he punched a Blackburn player in the chest, and just before Christmas he made lewd gestures at Liverpool's Fernando Torres and called him a “f***ing poof”.

Oddly enough the Sunday Times seems disinclined to grovel to the Clintons' letter."

------

It seems like the Eye is making a fair point. What is Barton going to argue, that these bursts of rage are the product of calculated rationality rather than luncay?

edit:

Can't find the original Liddle bit, probably behind The Times' paywall, but he has a history of going after Barton. The second one sums it up for me. All that "higher calling" stuff is a symptom of something:

or

thanks. this all coming from a man who assaulted his pregnant 2nd wife

"This being January, Newcastle United are on the search for lunatics Rod Liddle wrote in his Sunday Times column last month. They already have one of course, Joey Barton, but what if Barton is injured or undergoing ECT one week? The answer is let's sign Stephen Ireland. He's totally bonkers

in full:

So how, er, sensitive is Joey Barton? Well, he stubbed out a lit cigar in a youth's eye at a Christmas party in 2004, was sent home from a Far East tournament the next summer for beating up a 15 year old. In May 2007 he thumped a team mate so violently he detached a retina, and in May 2008 he was given six moths in jail after punching a man unconscious and beating up a teenager.

Barton's lawyers insist that his problems are behind him and that, since jail, he is now a role model for young people. Really? In may 20098, Newcastle suspended him for what manager Alan Shearer called a coward's tackle that saw him sent off. Last November he punched a Blackburn player in the chest, and just before Christmas he made lewd gestures at Liverpool's Fernando Torres and called him a f***ing poof.

------

edit:

or

thanks. this all coming from a man who assaulted his pregnant 2nd wife

And is a racist Millwall fan.

Not that I'm suggesting there's anything wrong with supporting Millwall..........

Guest toonarmymia

And is a racist Millwall fan.

Not that I'm suggesting there's anything wrong with supporting Millwall..........

He cut short their honeymoon to rush home to his young mistress. She had 10 bags of manure delivered to his office in protest at his betrayal. But the television presenter Rachel Royce's very public revenge on her cheating husband, the former editor of Radio 4's Today programme, Rod Liddle, had only just begun.

"Twice I found a packet of Viagra in his pocket with some tablets missing. Rod said it was for research for his new book which is about middle-aged men and adultery. Now he's admitted men are programmed to have affairs. I think I'm better off without him."

Guest bmoregeordie

To be honest, I couldn't stand him at Citeh. Not my favorite player, but damn it, I loved his attitude and leadership during that Arsenal comeback.