Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

This is probably a Giggs moment but Caulkin is reporting:

"NUFC withdraw contract offer and look to sell Joey 'Bingo' Barton. He says he'll stay. Could be long summer..."

If he's going to be put up for sale I have no problem with that, as to me he's not a top player. What I don't want to see is him leaving at the last minute without a replacement being brought in. If it gets too close to deadline day then make him play the season out, same as how Wigan made Zog stay when we pitched in a last minute offer.

I assume his young top class replacement will be playing for free of course, not to mention that low, low transfer and signing on fee.

Barton is relatively easier to replace to be honest.  The real problem is, who next? Coloccini? Nolan? That would be devastating.

Guest johnson293

I assume his young top class replacement will be playing for free of course, not to mention that low, low transfer and signing on fee.

Barton is relatively easier to replace to be honest.  The real problem is, who next? Coloccini? Nolan? That would be devastating.

If the club are indeed trying (in one way or another) to purge the high earners, then you'd have to guess that Colo could be next (assuming Enrique is as good as gone).... he was of course conspicuous by his absence from the 'lap of appreciation' too.

What sort of money might Nolan be on, considering he was brought in January 09, well into the current regime, but also pre-relegation clauses, etc?

Smith is the main one though - such a drain on wages, for what is essentially a bit part player now. Of course, he's hardly sellable either!

Barton is relatively easier to replace to be honest.  The real problem is, who next? Coloccini? Nolan? That would be devastating.

I would say Barton is harder to replace than Nolan.  The latter has simply had a freak season,  was reading some player stats for the year yesterday, and at one stage he had 16 shots on goal and from that - had 10 goals to his name, that level of strike rate is simply unsustainable... would obviously love for him to keep that up, but unlikely IMO.

Still don't think Barton will get anything decent anywhere else. Be it his wages or his attitude. Alot of talk of him being 'difficult to handle' behind the scenes.

Just when I remind myself that McKay is playing the 'agents game' and that eventually Barton will most likely sign, I remember that Ashley/Llambias probably hate Joey as a person and won't let his football ability be a factor. They're that twattish and stupid.

Guest icemanblue

Just when I remind myself that McKay is playing the 'agents game' and that eventually Barton will most likely sign, I remember that Ashley/Llambias probably hate Joey as a person and won't let his football ability be a factor. They're that twattish and stupid.

This is it, like. He's said one too many nasty things about them, and this is his punishment.

He'll now be painted as the villain, and people will lap it up.

Guest Chubby Jason

How is he a "moron"? :lol:

I'm sure you can find one or two incidents that point to extreme moronic behavior on his part if you try hard enough.

If the club are indeed trying (in one way or another) to purge the high earners, then you'd have to guess that Colo could be next (assuming Enrique is as good as gone).... he was of course conspicuous by his absence from the 'lap of appreciation' too.

What sort of money might Nolan be on, considering he was brought in January 09, well into the current regime, but also pre-relegation clauses, etc?

Smith is the main one though - such a drain on wages, for what is essentially a bit part player now. Of course, he's hardly sellable either!

There are only three top tier players at Newcastle IMO. Enrique, Tiote, and Coloccini could be classed as that as well. By top tier I mean they are good enough to get the attention of a high profile club. Barton and Nolan are at a lower level and that will be reflected in the teams (or lack of) who show an interest in them. If Coloccini is on the reported 80k/week then I think we'll lose him as well unless he agrees to a cut. He was Ashley's signature signing so there might be more leeway shown but I doubt it.

Guest toonlass

NUFCToonTalk Toon Talk

JOEY BARTON EXCLUSIVE MESSAGE TO THE FANS TONIGHT 6pm ONLY ON TOON TALK RADIO to tune in www.fansonline.net/newcastleunited RETWEET

From twitter

He needs to be careful what he says tonight. Don't speak your mind, Joey!

Depends. If he says something like he has accepted to reduce his wages to fit the wage structure, but wants a 4 year contract while the club is only offering him a 2 year contract, that would be pretty cool. Granted that this is the truth, it really puts pressure on the club to offer him a longer contract as Barton has showed compliance to meet the demands of the club, while nothing has gone the other way.

Or it could go down horribly wrong.... :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

It would be a 2 year extension to his final season as opposed to a 2 year contract so only 1 year difference in terms of what he wants or have i missed something? :undecided:

Barton will be a good player for at least the next three years imo. Give him a three year deal with a 4th year option.

I think he will be a good player for 4 years, if not more. The fact that he has quit drinking alcohol can prolong his career quite significantly. If he eats healthy as well, he will probably be at the same level at 33 even.

It's a shame Barton doesn't share your optimism about his future ability as if he did you would have thought he would have been happy to sign a 2 year deal knowing that we would have wanted to extent it further in 2 years time, like Man Utd have done with Scholes and Giggs.

Guest WisconsinMagpie

Barton could be a good player for 3 or 4 years and he deserves a role as the club moves forward. But DairylandMag and I have been talking about it, and we just think to give him that sort of wage for that sort of time says he's going to be a major cog if not the centerpiece of the club. While Pardew is trying to remake the club into something bigger and better than one that has Joey Barton as a centerpiece. Posted on it this morning. http://bit.ly/kngXoy