Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Ergh.

What?

That suggested line-up from Hans, in the manner it was posted. Ba would have a lonely afternoon.

Not usually one to shoot others' ideas down so bluntly, but it doesn't look like a good team selection to me considering what we have available.

Who do we have available exactly?

Class post rich.

I can live with a 10252/10253 ratio, cheers.

I cannot realy be arse to tumble through your posting history to find your decent post like, but i'll take your word for it.  :thup:

Well played. :lol:

Ergh.

What?

That suggested line-up from Hans, in the manner it was posted. Ba would have a lonely afternoon.

Not usually one to shoot others' ideas down so bluntly, but it doesn't look like a good team selection to me considering what we have available.

Best? Marveaux? Obertan? Vuckic? Even Ameobi?

But to play 3 central midfielders with Barton outside of them at home in the first game of the season looks like a bad idea to me. Fair enough if Cabaye plays more advanced in behind Ba - as Pardew hinted at back around when we signed him - or if you're at least trying Gosling there in a roaming role, but that's not what you posted. Barton plays narrow enough as it is in a 4-4-2 and Jonas is hardly the greatest at supporting the striker.

It just looks far too narrow and pedestrian to me for a game we should be looking to grab by the scruff of the neck.

I'd be looking to go 4-4-2 with the usual midfield (Cabaye in for Nolan, naturally) and Ba +1 (probably Shola based on the pre-season selections).

Ergh.

What?

But to play 3 central midfielders with Barton outside of them at home in the first game of the season looks like a bad idea to me. Fair enough if Cabaye plays more advanced in behind Ba - as Pardew hinted at back around when we signed him - or if you're at least trying Gosling there in a roaming role, but that's not what you posted. Barton plays narrow enough as it is in a 4-4-2 and Jonas is hardly the greatest at supporting the striker.

It just looks far too narrow and pedestrian to me for a game we should be looking to grab by the scruff of the neck.

I'd be looking to go 4-4-2 with the usual midfield (Cabaye in for Nolan, naturally) and Ba +1 (probably Shola based on the pre-season selections).

Aye fair enough, It probably is a bit 'negative' like. I would just be weary about throwing the likes of Marveaux and Obertan first game of the season, especialy after the pre-season we've had.

I forgot aabout Best in all honesty :lol:

I'd be happy going 4-4-2, but i'd still prefer us to bring Marv & Obertan (& Vuckic or Abeid) off the bench as opposed to starting them, atleast against Arsenal.

Ergh.

What?

Aye fair enough, It probably is a bit 'negative' like. I would just be weary about throwing the likes of Marveaux and Obertan first game of the season, especialy after the pre-season we've had.

I'd be happy going 4-4-2, but i'd still prefer us to bring Marv & Obertan (& Vuckic or Abeid) off the bench as opposed to starting them, atleast against Arsenal.

I just think Arsenal are there for the taking and we'll have a very strong atmosphere behind us, which we should be looking to take advantage of. Fair enough save Marveaux/Obertan from the bench if they're needed, but at least go 4-4-2 in the meantime. First games of the season are always special anyway, but against a "big" side and slightly later/live on TV I just really fancy us to go at them from the opening whistle. Two big strikers to occupy their centre-halves, good delivery from wide-right and directness from wide-left and see how Cabaye/Tiote do in against their midfield.

I'd go with Ba/Best personally, but you just know it'll be Sho Time again, so I can see why some are reluctant to hope for 4-4-2. Hopefully he'll have one of his better days if that does prove to be the case, get himself warmed up for Wearside.

Just for the record as well, 3 CM's isn't necessarily a bad idea against Arsenal's formation, but I do worry that we'd have little-to-no support for Ba with the selection you suggested initially. However, if you'd told me we'd beat Villa 6-0 in our first home game last season with a midfield of Jonas, Smith, Barton, Routledge and Nolan(ish) I'd have said you were crackers. No telling how things might actually turn out.

Also, to keep the whole thing somewhat on track, I do hope Barton starts (even if he's one of the midfield three).

Guest Heneage

Ergh.

What?

I just think Arsenal are there for the taking and we'll have a very strong atmosphere behind us, which we should be looking to take advantage of. Fair enough save Marveaux/Obertan from the bench if they're needed, but at least go 4-4-2 in the meantime. First games of the season are always special anyway, but against a "big" side and slightly later/live on TV I just really fancy us to go at them from the opening whistle. Two big strikers to occupy their centre-halves, good delivery from wide-right and directness from wide-left and see how Cabaye/Tiote do in against their midfield.

I'd go with Ba/Best personally, but you just know it'll be Sho Time again, so I can see why some are reluctant to hope for 4-4-2. Hopefully he'll have one of his better days if that does prove to be the case, get himself warmed up for Wearside.

Just for the record as well, 3 CM's isn't necessarily a bad idea against Arsenal's formation, but I do worry that we'd have little-to-no support for Ba with the selection you suggested initially. However, if you'd told me we'd beat Villa 6-0 in our first home game last season with a midfield of Jonas, Smith, Barton, Routledge and Nolan(ish) I'd have said you were crackers. No telling how things might actually turn out.

Also, to keep the whole thing somewhat on track, I do hope Barton starts (even if he's one of the midfield three).

Exactly.

The cliché of 'attack is the best form of defence'  is never more apt than when describing Arsenal. Take the game to them, get physical and they often crumble.

I fucking hope not. Losing Barton will weaken the team and the spirit as well. Stoke of all people are building themselves a strong looking squad with some quality players.

are they? Woodgates a crock, Upsons shite I'd be enraged if we went for Crouch, Palacios is the only possible decent signing

Guest bimpy474

Honestly can't see him going to Stoke.

Me neither, if he did it would be for money alone.

and why did he come here ? the love of the cheviot hills and the taste of elsdon cheese ?

Butbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbut because Sam wanted him and Man.City didn't

Oh yeah and the money :D