Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

People seem to forget that there were plenty of times Barton was our best player irrespective of the assists stats etc. If one of the new players proves to be better then fine but as things stand he's still a starter IMO.

From his tweets it seems pretty clear that he values the old guard above the new arrivals. Joey would be an asset next season if he was prepared to be part of the new look Newcastle but he doesn't seem too sold on the club's view of the way forward which could be a problem. 

???

Examples?

Didn't Barton say something about how he's unhappy that the club are replacing all the older players and buying younger, quicker and better players?

IIRC he said it seemed unlikely they'd do all that without spending any money, in a sarcastic tone as some of us might. Obviously in reference to his own situation.

Looking more and more like he's wrong about that.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he knew about Nolan going at that point.

looking more and more right from where i'm sitting

On the agenda horse?

eurgh. come on then, explain how he's looking more and more wrong by stating that we were looking for cheaper players when everyone we've signed so far has been on the cheap (and dont drag this down into 'just because they dont cost 20m it doesnt mean they wont improve the team' territory)

if you use paper speculation as evidence you're an unfortunate individual

Why can't I do that? Because it would completely invalidate your argument?

The fact is we've bought 3 highly rated players and sold 1 player who wouldn't agree a new contract, and therefore wanted to leave. Using net spend as a judge of quality makes you an unfortunate individual.

I was always of the opinion that Barton was played wider right as he was more effective (for us then) as he was the best crosser of the ball so it made sense to use him there to find Carroll.

As its been said, he seemed more that capable to play more centrally for Man City, and unless we're going to persist with the same tactic this season using Ba instead of Carroll as the target (which seems a bit of a waste given who else we've got), then there is no reason what so ever that he should be pigeon holed at NUFC as only a  wide-right midfielder.

Barton was rubbish in the middle so what makes people think he'd work in a central three?

With a DM behind him his game would be a lot more focused on just passing and creating, I think he'd excel in the role.

Although Barton didn't play well whenever he was in the center last year, it was due to the fact that we had no movement up front and he was constantly pressed. Guthrie, who was all right for us when he first joined, now looks shit because we have no movement up front and he's not athletic enough to create time/space for himself.

With a pacier and more athletic front 4 (two wingers, a striker and HBA), our midfielders will have more time and space on the ball, and Barton is a very capable CM if he has time on the ball.

He would be all right on the right of a midfield three, as he was all right - well actually, he was pretty fucking good - when he was on the left of a midfield three for Keegan.

Think the situation has changed very quickly for Joey.

Would be surprised if last season was not the most enjoyable of his career and now the club seems to want him out the door. Though he is defiantly talking about staying a final year, without the Nolan axis and with all the new players coming in I'd say he's likely to be a much diminished figure around the club and in the dressing room. So it's difficult to see how he could have the same positive impact next season as he has this, which would be a great shame as we could do with his qualities going into the new season.

Can see a decent club taking a punt on him before the window closes and him moving on, despite what he's saying now.

...Though he is defiantly talking about staying a final year, without the Nolan axis and with all the new players coming in I'd say he's likely to be a much diminished figure around the club and in the dressing room. So it's difficult to see how he could have the same positive impact next season as he has this, which would be a great shame as we could do with his qualities going into the new season.

This is what causes me some concern, agreeing with what you wrote, if he is a diminished figure it may increase the chances of the old Joey resurfacing and causing a considerable amount of unrest.

Quite honestly, I fear, the only safe course is to sell - if he'll go.

Would anyone agree with him if he decided run down his contract and leave for nothing?

I would - the manager clearly wants him even if the owner doesn't, I think we need him, and theres no guarantee that any money saved on moving him on now would be used usefully.

Also think that to some degree he has earned it with his performances last season

Guest Kevlaar

The '#bosmanruling' says it all.

I don't think he cares about the club as much as he claims. I would cash in now tbh. 70k a week, and I still always have the feeling he's going to do something daft - either on or off the pitch. Can't see him being there by the time the window closes.

Joey's gonna watch a documentary on the Capuchin catacombs at 9. They are eery as owt.

What's that? I'd like to see that.

Spend two hours in there looking for Velázquez's corpse. (Turns out he's buried in Madrid)

It's on National Geographic right now.  :thup:

Joey's gonna watch a documentary on the Capuchin catacombs at 9. They are eery as owt.

Spend two hours in there looking for Velázquez's corpse. (Turns out he's buried in Madrid)

I'm at work (in California). I'll have to hunt that down.

I'm at work (in California). I'll have to hunt that down.

Ah right, 'Catacombs of Palermo' its called.

He's done a bit of a Nolan on the LFC website:

Barton: Stevie's the best | 22nd Jun 2011

Joey Barton thinks Steven Gerrard is the most gifted player of his generation to appear in the Premier League.

Both players grew up in Huyton before carving careers as dynamic midfielders - but Barton believes that neither he or anyone else can compare with Liverpool's No.8 over recent years.

"For my generation he's probably as gifted a player as there has been in the Premier League, if not Europe, if not the world," Barton told Liverpoolfc.tv during the Steven Gerrard Foundation golf event in Portugal.

"We're fortunate in this era to have a lot of good players and Stevie is at the top of that tree.

"A lot of good players have strengths in one area and weaknesses in other. Stevie has a lot of strengths and very few weaknesses.

"He's very, very difficult to play against and that's the reason he's regarded as highly as he is in world football."

Meanwhile, Barton reckons former Newcastle teammate Andy Carroll will be desperate to make an impact when the new season begins in August after injuries stalled his Liverpool career following a January move from St James' Park.

"It's always difficult when you go to a new football club and you're not fully fit," said the Everton fan. "He had a niggling injury when they signed him. He'll be looking to get pre-season under his belt and look to kick on and show Liverpool what an asset they've acquired.

"He's a great lad and we were all gutted to see him leave Newcastle but it was a no-brainer, really. He had to go and test himself at a fantastic football club with great tradition. I stay in touch and we're all wishing him well but not when he plays against us.

"I haven't been watching Liverpool with a lot of interest but they had a great run towards the end of the season. We played them at Anfield and they were magnificent on that day.

"We thought we'd have a chance looking at side they had and the individuals but it was a great team performance - certainly a better team performance than we saw in December at St James' Park."

He's an honest lad, which is good, but I agree a bit like, he does need to shut up at times.

I guess it's good he's honest, but that does reveal his total lack of tact and awareness of what he's saying.

His use of hashtags really annoys me as well for some reason!

And yeah, obviously he was doing something for charity here, just the "no-brainer" comment that is slightly unwise.

He's an honest lad, which is good, but I agree a bit like, he does need to shut up at times.

I guess it's good he's honest, but that does reveal his total lack of tact and awareness of what he's saying.

His use of hashtags really annoys me as well for some reason!

And yeah, obviously he was doing something for charity here, just the "no-brainer" comment that is slightly unwise.

Aye, although it is true (Liverpool over Newcastle would be a bit of a no-brainer for most players) it's completely unnecessary. He's supposed to be an Evertonian anyway, imagine Shearer saying that shit about Sunderland!