Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Good to see he's had his PR team working overtime to conjure up some sort of defence for his actions.

Pathetic.

in what way ? we've heard it all before from joey, he gives great interview then does this sort of thing, he even has cheerleaders who want him applauded for not assaulting someone in 18months.

whenever i think of the joey fan club i think of chris rocks "niggers" set.

You guys must live in some kind of fantasy cukoo land. I personally give Joey Barton credit because I feel he has come a long way. He is no longer getting into trouble off the field, which was very much standard previously, and even on the pitch he has taken a lot and has handled himself quite well (Wolves game for example) for the most part.

Why people suddenly expect him to turn into some kind of saint I will never know, ridiculously unrealistic. Even players who do not have the kind of problems he has had, sometimes show poor judgement and lash out. It happens almost every week for goodness sake. Fellaini just yesterday and Huddlestone's stamp a week ago also, just off the top of my head. Obviously what he did wasn't right but at least he's acknowledged his mistake and has admitted he has to continue to try to learn to control himself better.

Some people on here seriously need to get off their high horses. God knows what some of you lot get up to in your everyday lives. I'm sure your all perfect yourselves. Jesus.

when they show poor judgemant and lash out we slag them and castigate them. i'm just following in that vein.

Good to see he's had his PR team working overtime to conjure up some sort of defence for his actions.

Pathetic.

in what way ? we've heard it all before from joey, he gives great interview then does this sort of thing, he even has cheerleaders who want him applauded for not assaulting someone in 18months.

You guys must live in some kind of fantasy cukoo land. I personally give Joey Barton credit because I feel he has come a long way. He is no longer getting into trouble off the field, which was very much standard previously, and even on the pitch he has taken a lot and has handled himself quite well (Wolves game for example) for the most part.

Why people suddenly expect him to turn into some kind of saint I will never know, ridiculously unrealistic. Even players who do not have the kind of problems he has had, sometimes show poor judgement and lash out. It happens almost every week for goodness sake. Fellaini just yesterday and Huddlestone's stamp a week ago also, just off the top of my head. Obviously what he did wasn't right but at least he's acknowledged his mistake and has admitted he has to continue to try to learn to control himself better.

Some people on here seriously need to get off their high horses. God knows what some of you lot get up to in your everyday lives. I'm sure your all perfect yourselves. Jesus.

Well I dunno about you but I have this totally unrealistic expectation that a player on my team wouldn't punch an opposition player. This doesn't happen every week and you're the one living in "fantasy cuckoo land" if you're seriously trying to mount any sort of defence here.

Defence? Did you even read what I wrote at all. The guy made a mistake. It doesn't mean he's the same old Joey Barton as you lot are claiming, because in my opinion he isn't. If you can't recognise that he has come a long way than that's your problem. If your expecting the guy to become a saint and never have any hiccups along the way then you are living in fairy tale land in my opinion, yes. That's not real life I'm afraid.

Pathetic.

Well I dunno about you but I have this totally unrealistic expectation that a player on my team wouldn't punch an opposition player. This doesn't happen every week and you're the one living in "fantasy cuckoo land" if you're seriously trying to mount any sort of defence here.

Defence? Did you even read what I wrote at all. The guy made a mistake. It doesn't mean he's the same old Joey Barton as you lot are claiming, because in my opinion he isn't. If you can't recognise that he has come a long way than that's your problem. If your expecting the guy to become a saint and never have any hiccups along the way then you are living in fairy tale land in my opinion, yes. That'snot real life I'm afraid.

so, lets say for example it was a player at another club or a standard member of the public who lashed out after admittedly not having lashed out for a year or two... i'd like to think if it was one of your mates doing that you'd call him a dick and stop him doing it.

Pathetic.

Defence? Did you even read what I wrote at all. The guy made a mistake. It doesn't mean he's the same old Joey Barton as you lot are claiming, because in my opinion he isn't. If you can't recognise that he has come a long way than that's your problem. If your expecting the guy to become a saint and never have any hiccups along the way then you are living in fairy tale land in my opinion, yes. That's not real life I'm afraid.

He's come a decent way. Then he threw it all away with a stonkingly stupid moment last night. Do I think he's regretting it? Of course I do. Do I think he's made progress in the past few months? Of course I do.

He may not be the "old Joey Barton." But he's sure as hell an idiot.

Can't see how anyone can defend him. He's shown self-control in the recent past. If anything this proves he won't change, he's done well for a while now, and still he has to lash out. Just makes me feel like I'm always going to be watching him thinking 'when this time'.

Like someone said a page or 2 ago, can't believe people are attempting to applaud him for going 18 months without this. I like to think someone can control themselves a bit better than that.

How bad the punch itself was is irrelevant. He's a smart guy clearly, he knows that stuff like that's going to be highlighted instantly when it's him.

Who is defending him? Defending him would be me saying he hasn't done anything wrong, and I haven't said that. Joey Barton has anger issues an yes I am afraid we will always be left wondering when next he will snap. However, I for one don't worry about it as much as I used too, as he is clearly not as out of control as he used to be. And actually he does know stuff like this will be highlighted, but in the heat of the moment you're not exactly that rational are you? Seriously have you guys never lost your temper over anything and regreted it afterwards?  :lol:

He's certainly not the Same Barton we saw going to jail, it was rock bottom for him though he still isn't a normal person, far from it. But at least he's trying and up to this incident made a good go of it. No one will be more disappointed than Joey Barton himself with what's happened, hopefully its a smack in the face he needs to realise he still needs to keep working on himself and his temperament to become a better person and consistent footballer.

Think he'll get a good response from us when he returns, which should tell him we and his career is worth fighting for.

Pathetic.

He's come a decent way. Then he threw it all away with a stonkingly stupid moment last night. Do I think he's regretting it? Of course I do. Do I think he's made progress in the past few months? Of course I do.

He may not be the "old Joey Barton." But he's sure as hell an idiot.

Won't argue with that at all, yes. Fair enough. I just thought some perspective was necessary.

Guest DarkStormCrow

Since Barton has been at Newcastle has he had any problems with the law off the field, did not all the off field incidents involving him happen while he was at Manchester City?

Since being at Newcastle he had the Xavi Alonso tackle red card and the subsequent bust up with Shearer and the coaching staff and now this incident with Pedersen.

He has one red card in a Newcastle shirt and seems to be trying despite what happened yesterday, He was wrong everyone knows it including himself,

I personally hope he can get it sorted with his anger management coach or psycologist and come back with the form he was showing.

Pathetic.

i've witnested felliany twice lash out and elbow/forearm smash a player this season, but yeah he never did it with his fist so he's all rosie.

Since Barton has been at Newcastle has he had any problems with the law off the field, did not all the off field incidents involving him happen while he was at Manchester City?

Since being at Newcastle he had the Xavi Alonso tackle red card and the subsequent bust up with Shearer and the coaching staff and now this incident with Pedersen.

He has one red card in a Newcastle shirt and seems to be trying despite what happened yesterday, He was wrong everyone knows it including himself,

I personally hope he can get it sorted with his anger management coach or psycologist and come back with the form he was showing.

chined that kid in liverpool

Guest DarkStormCrow

Is that the one he did the time for?

Is that the one he did the time for?

yeah

He derserves it, no complaints here.

But we should appeal. All the top teams have been appealing blatantly obvious decisions this week just because they can't accept being punished and think they're above it all :lol:

I'm glad to see we're not that petty and just getting on with it.

He derserves it, no complaints here.

But we should appeal. All the top teams have been appealing blatantly obvious decisions this week just because they can't accept being punished and think they're above it all :lol:

I'm glad to see we're not that petty and just getting on with it.

Appeal :lol:

I'm disappointed but still hold out hope he has improved. He will never be a saint but so far this season he had controlled his temper well. The situation at Wolves was ridiculous and the ref didn't help, a lot of players would have lost it there.

He has let himself down and let the club down but all we can do is see how he comes back from this. We do not have the luxury of selling a key player at cut price in January, anyone who thinks we do should have a good look at our squad. If he can maintain the form and restraint he's shown in the last 10 games, he will be valuable to us. If this happens again, we will probably have to move him on at the end of the season.

The problem is that people see him as a walking red card. If you were in the opposition dugout, of course you'd be instructing your players to wind him up because it could well pay off. What happened at Wolves was disgraceful and many refs would have sent one of them off. But he is going to be targetted in every game.

For now as a club we have to get on with it, and assess the situation at the end of the season. Let's just hope Guthrie or Routledge can fill his boots over the next 3 games.

I'm disappointed but still hold out hope he has improved. He will never be a saint but so far this season he had controlled his temper well. The situation at Wolves was ridiculous and the ref didn't help, a lot of players would have lost it there.

He has let himself down and let the club down but all we can do is see how he comes back from this. We do not have the luxury of selling a key player at cut price in January, anyone who thinks we do should have a good look at our squad. If he can maintain the form and restraint he's shown in the last 10 games, he will be valuable to us. If this happens again, we will probably have to move him on at the end of the season.

The problem is that people see him as a walking red card. If you were in the opposition dugout, of course you'd be instructing your players to wind him up because it could well pay off. What happened at Wolves was disgraceful and many refs would have sent one of them off. But he is going to be targetted in every game.

For now as a club we have to get on with it, and assess the situation at the end of the season. Let's just hope Guthrie or Routledge can fill his boots over the next 3 games.

Think that's what bothers me most about him, really. Having earned the bad boy reputation over the years, to the point of finding himself in prison, he's done well to rehabilitate himself and his reputation, he's been proving himself as an asset to the team, but because of who he is and what has gone before, he's always going to have to make that much more of an effort to control his temper, because as you say, he's going to be targeted by other players on the pitch, as well as cynical journos looking for a cheap and easy headline. He should know that by know, and when I saw him punching MGP my heart sank, and like so many other folk I just thought "Ah man, Joey...why?!" because all of us just knew that there would be a media storm about it and there'd be no chance of it being overlooked or treated lightly. I'm not saying it's fair on the lad that his punch gets punished and others get away with it, I'm saying I wish he appreciated that he is (as a result of his former actions in life and on the pitch) always going to be the focus of that little bit extra added attention, and so he needs to exercise just that little bit extra control.

He's been an idiot but there's some cringe inducing articles in today's papers about how a bad 'un is a bad 'un and a leopard can't change his spots. Henry Winter the main culprit which ridiculously writes how Barton punched "an innocent Norwegian". What's his nationality got anything to do with it unless you're trying to sneak in a subtle "maybe it was racist?" angle.

Keep that lad, we stuck by him when he was in prison, why sell him because of an incident on the pitch that the ref didn't even see.

Its only cos cameras caught it.  Loadas of players get away with shit.

I've watched it again, and it smacks too much of the playground bully. I can't see that Pedersen does anything at all other than not get out of his way.

We also can't be sure that Pedersen wasn't hurt. A dig in the ribs doesn't have to be done with full force.

This season has definitely given a couple of worrying insights into the workings of our FA.

Firstly, they have decided to reinterpret the retrospective punishment law to mean that if the referee says that he saw it but didn't deem it necessary of punishment then it's OK and that incident is swept under the rug.  Isn't that why that rule was brought into the game as it was too fast for one man to control and on further inspection an incident may have been a bit more serious than first thought?  Up until the Ben Arfa debacle we were always told that the only time that this rule couldn't be invoked was if the player had already been punished, i.e. booked for the incident.  What the referees have actually done is admit that they are incompetent as they have clearly seen a red card incident and failed to act.

Secondly, from the match on Wednesday the FA have just about admitted that their restropective law policy is dictated by Match of the Day / Sky Sports News.  They have (rightfully) given a ban on a player for violent conduct.  From the same match, a player has apparently commited the same act but the media haven't decided to go all 'witch-hunty' on them and he is free to play this weekend.