Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

If Barton went out in an area where we were relatively strong and it allowed us to get Cissokho and Maiga through the door

would it make people happy

Undoubtedly.

:lol: and what reasonable explanation can be given for this being the case?

I think we need a striker and a quality left back far more than we need Barton.

and the explanation that we need to give him away for free in order to bring those players in is?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Gosling Guthrie Marveux Ben Arfa could all potentially do his job

A couple of them dare i say could do it better?

Gutted to lose him but at least midfield is an area we're relatively strong in. Also, he was at times too much of a distraction and you go into every game worried he's going to be targeted by the other team and get sent off or do something stupid.

there's two sides to that coin, i also go into every match knowing he'll give 100% and more often than not perform solidly, keep his head and wind up the other team (with a few recent exceptions)

say what you like about the arsenal incident but i'd sooner have someone in the team who cares enough to pick a cheat up off the floor by his neck than someone who's willing to let it go.

You might say that, but at the time of it happening I just thought, f***ing hell Joey your going to get sent off here. Luckily for him Gervinho decided to bitch slap him.

and that's fair enough. i wonder who you'd rather line up against on a saturday afternoon though? barton or obertan?

I have not seen much of Obertan to judge either way mate.  Saying that though, you get the cretins like Karl Henry, who want nothing better than to buckle Barton, so it will take that kind of attention away.

i've probably seen obertan play ten times and can conclusively state i'd much rather play against him, it's a much easier days work. i'm not sure why taking that attention away is good? wins us tons of free kicks, which we're in dire need of at the moment given the state of our strikers.

If Barton went out in an area where we were relatively strong and it allowed us to get Cissokho and Maiga through the door

Undoubtedly.

and the explanation that we need to give him away for free in order to bring those players in is?

I was just answering the question whether if Barton's sale allowed us to bring Cissokho and Maiga in would I be happy. I assume the money saved would  allow us to offer the extra needed to clinch the deals.

Barton will be a big miss should he go to QPR - no doubt about it. So the assett stripping/cost cutting continues apace whilst supporters continue to be conned by those running the club. Where is all of this going to end? I'll tell you where - the club will reach Sept 1st with either no LB signed, or Wayne Bridge on loan and no striker coming in. Ashley will be quids in yet again after another window.

You cannot run a football club like you do on Football Manager.

guthrie's shite, 2 have spent 95% of their nufc careers injured and the other one's got a horrible injury record.

Undoubtedly.

I was just answering the question whether if Barton's sale allowed us to bring Cissokho and Maiga in would I be happy. I assume the money saved would  allow us to offer the extra needed to clinch the deals.

that's fair enough, i was just asking in what world this should be acceptable.

guthrie's shite, 2 have spent 95% of their nufc careers injured and the other one's got a horrible injury record.

My thoughts exactly.

Guest johnson293

Undoubtedly.

Could be argued his current wage could almost pay the wages of a new LB and Striker, too.

Guest sicko2ndbest

guthrie's s****, 2 have spent 95% of their nufc careers injured and the other one's got a horrible injury record.

Undoubtedly.

that's fair enough, i was just asking in what world this should be acceptable.

FWIW I still don't think we'll get those two players in but if there's a chance Barton leaving will clinch it I'm all for it.

guthrie's s****, 2 have spent 95% of their nufc careers injured and the other one's got a horrible injury record.

no, they couldnt. for the reasons above.as well as ben arfa being a flair attacking player who doesnt exactly get stuck in and defend. guthrie being shite, marveaux being an attacking player with a horrible injury record, and gosling being? what? what is gosling?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guthrie on the wing. Have a word...

Did he play on the wing on Saturday or right of a middle 3 with Cabaye pushed on

I think you will find im right :)

I'm not a fan of Guthrie's but he can more or less replicate what Barton brings to the table. He's slightly less aggressive but how many ball winners do we need in the central area? Cabaye and Tiote are hardly shrinking violets. Put Guthrie alongside those two and he'd do a more than decent job. Personally I think we would be better off playing neither Barton or Guthrie and using Jonas in a wider position giving us a bit more pace and width.

Got to agree. Guthrie is a decent enough squad player in central midfield. Has been horrendous every time i've seen him play out of position on the wing though.

Did he play on the wing on Saturday or right of a middle 3 with Cabaye pushed on

I think you will find im right :)

Well done you. Did he not play on the right of a 4 all last season though? Congratulations on spotting the change for one game though. Kudos :):):)

Still doesn't cover the fact that Barton>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Guthrie

I'm not a fan of Guthrie's but he can more or less replicate what Barton brings to the table. He's slightly less aggressive but how many ball winners do we need in the central area? Cabaye and Tiote are hardly shrinking violets. Put Guthrie alongside those two and he'd do a more than decent job. Personally I think we would be better off playing neither Barton or Guthrie and using Jonas in a wider position giving us a bit more pace and width.

No way! Guthrie isn't half the player Barton is, plus he is injured almost always anyhow.

The even ones suggesting Guthrie as even a bit-part stand-in for Joey are on crack. Guthrie needs to be shown the freaking door now that we have all these supposedly brilliant new signings (and the world-beating Gosling, which you mentioned) in our squad.

As someone said, we'll be going backwards if we start going the Guthrie route. And the rest are all crocks.

Great one, Ashley. If Joey goes out midfield's gonna have about as much bottle as a Sunderland one. Probably have more quality, but we need someone other than Tiote who can anchor a team, let alone rouse it from a slumber, which so far only Joey has been able to do.

Total bollocks man. Guthrie cannot do what Barton does.

Total bollocks man. Guthrie cannot do what Barton does.

He's got a sh1t haircut, as well.

Barton will be a big miss should he go to QPR - no doubt about it. So the assett stripping/cost cutting continues apace whilst supporters continue to be conned by those running the club. Where is all of this going to end? I'll tell you where - the club will reach Sept 1st with either no LB signed, or Wayne Bridge on loan and no striker coming in. Ashley will be quids in yet again after another window.

You cannot run a football club like you do on Football Manager.

Of all the sales and departures from SJP in recent months, Barton's impending release (O0) is the last one you can shove under 'cost cutting and asset stripping' :lol: there are clearly massive problems between him and the club management. Pardew would like to ride this out (for the season at least) but he might not get the chance to.