Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

I was just starting to be at ease with this transfer window and what we had going into the season. Sigh.

I think Barton is a decent player who's ability level is exaggerated by many on here and also by himself. It speaks volumes that the only club that has come in for him is QPR. He's not the quickest, can't really dribble, his short passing game and composure on the ball when in the middle of the park is actually very poor. I like him as a character and as a player, but really his performances over the last year have come by playing him in a position that utilised the qualities he does have to the maximum. As much as some on here seem set on playing him there, he's NOT a good central midfielder. He's not versatile and he's not a dynamic footballer, which is why I found his agent, those on here and the media spouting off about how he will go to a top 7 team quite bizarre.

That being said, take him out of the side and it leaves a gaping hole down the right hand side of a settled team. The hole he leaves is similar to the one we have at left back and the one we have upfront, frankly we can't afford to weaken the team any further. You know what you're going to get from him and that's a solid performer who is vocal on the pitch and can hold the team together. Losing him without a direct, sure-fire, like for like replacement is just yet further gambling by those at the top. We're going to be nowhere near relegation and I still remain confident we'll see 2 players coming in...but it's pretty depressing that mid-table is about the best we can expect this season. I guess it makes sense to an extent, the only way you're going to get top 6 is by spending a shitload of money and the positions 7th-17th are much as a muchness to Ashley. Aslong as he can keep us in the league why should he give a fuck as a businessman to try and invest and push us a couple of places higher. :dontknow: The prick.

If he is true to his word, he won't entertain their offer.

He wont be travelling down there if he wasn't entertaining the offer. He'll have been told of the figures already, he's unfollowed all NUFC players on Twitter...he's going down there to complete the formalities.

Guest Stephen927

He wont be travelling down there if he wasn't entertaining the offer. He'll have been told of the figures already, he's unfollowed all NUFC players on Twitter...he's going down there to complete the formalities.

Hadn't read the thread, just the thread title. Cheers.

Well, this is shit.

I'm not a fan of Guthrie's but he can more or less replicate what Barton brings to the table. He's slightly less aggressive but how many ball winners do we need in the central area? Cabaye and Tiote are hardly shrinking violets. Put Guthrie alongside those two and he'd do a more than decent job. Personally I think we would be better off playing neither Barton or Guthrie and using Jonas in a wider position giving us a bit more pace and width.

Total bollocks man. Guthrie cannot do what Barton does.

He's got a sh1t haircut, as well.

Agreed.

Guest johnson293

If that was the case, surely he wouldn't even bother travelling - he'd just let Mckay bat it away?

EDIT: Sorry, just seen you'd answered a similar reply.

Also, what this Sedgwick guy told. It seems very, very likely that he'll be away. Perhaps the only thing that could turn him around would be a phone call of the club saying they re-think his contract situation.

Guest CheickMansour

I was just starting to be at ease with this transfer window and what we had going into the season. Sigh.

I think Barton is a decent player who's ability level is exaggerated by many on here and also by himself. It speaks volumes that the only club that has come in for him is QPR. He's not the quickest, can't really dribble, his short passing game and composure on the ball when in the middle of the park is actually very poor. I like him as a character and as a player, but really his performances over the last year have come by playing him in a position that utilised the qualities he does have to the maximum. As much as some on here seem set on playing him there, he's NOT a good central midfielder. He's not versatile and he's not a dynamic footballer, which is why I found his agent, those on here and the media spouting off about how he will go to a top 7 team quite bizarre.

That being said, take him out of the side and it leaves a gaping hole down the right hand side of a settled team. The hole he leaves is similar to the one we have at left back and the one we have upfront, frankly we can't afford to weaken the team any further. You know what you're going to get from him and that's a solid performer who is vocal on the pitch and can hold the team together. Losing him without a direct, sure-fire, like for like replacement is just yet further gambling by those at the top. We're going to be nowhere near relegation and I still remain confident we'll see 2 players coming in...but it's pretty depressing that mid-table is about the best we can expect this season. I guess it makes sense to an extent, the only way you're going to get top 6 is by spending a shitload of money and the positions 7th-17th are much as a muchness to Ashley. Aslong as he can keep us in the league why should he give a f*** as a businessman to try and invest and push us a couple of places higher. :dontknow: The prick.

Good post. Agree with every word.

I'm not a fan of Guthrie's but he can more or less replicate what Barton brings to the table. He's slightly less aggressive but how many ball winners do we need in the central area? Cabaye and Tiote are hardly shrinking violets. Put Guthrie alongside those two and he'd do a more than decent job. Personally I think we would be better off playing neither Barton or Guthrie and using Jonas in a wider position giving us a bit more pace and width.

Total bollocks man. Guthrie cannot do what Barton does.

Put in a few tackles in a tight midfield and hit a few passes and miss a few? I don't see why not. If Barton could dribble, run down the line at pace and score goals then I'd agree Guthrie couldn't do it. They are fairly similar other than temperament tbh. In a three man midfield I don't think it will make much difference.

Guest michaelfoster

really not that fussed about this,

high wages + one good PL season + loads of baggage

Ashley, man, not convincing.

The one good PL season & loads of baggage are true though, hth.

Also, what this Sedgwick guy told. It seems very, very likely that he'll be away. Perhaps the only thing that could turn him around would be a phone call of the club saying they re-think his contract situation.

which won't happen, if QPR are matching or improving on what he's getting already (which is significant) then there is no way in hell Ashley would give him a new deal on those terms as he'd want, and thats without taking into account the fact Ashley just wants rid

which won't happen, if QPR are matching or improving on what he's getting already (which is significant) then there is no way in hell Ashley would give him a new deal on those terms as he'd want, and thats without taking into account the fact Ashley just wants rid

Money wouldn't even be an issue here imo.

The lenght of the contract - the fact of an offered contract even - much more.

Guest reefatoon

That being said, take him out of the side and it leaves a gaping hole down the right hand side of a settled team. The hole he leaves is similar to the one we have at left back and the one we have upfront, frankly we can't afford to weaken the team any further. You know what you're going to get from him and that's a solid performer who is vocal on the pitch and can hold the team together. Losing him without a direct, sure-fire, like for like replacement is just yet further gambling by those at the top. We're going to be nowhere near relegation and I still remain confident we'll see 2 players coming in...but it's pretty depressing that mid-table is about the best we can expect this season. I guess it makes sense to an extent, the only way you're going to get top 6 is by spending a shitload of money and the positions 7th-17th are much as a muchness to Ashley. Aslong as he can keep us in the league why should he give a f*** as a businessman to try and invest and push us a couple of places higher. :dontknow: The prick.

Top post

Top post

It's true: from an ownership standpoint, the benefits of placing a few places higher in the Premiership are disproportionately miniscule compared to the money you'd need to spend to do so.

Annoying that the player we have obviously decided to get rid of for nowt has played every minute of our successful start to the this season. Think I am in the same boat as most here though, would be fine and good business if we got in a replacement, but that looks very unlikely. Though this is bad news, worst stuff has happened and I'm personally saving my worry and anger for if we don't get a left back and a striker in.

Money wouldn't even be an issue here imo.

The lenght of the contract - the fact of an offered contract even - much more.

disagree, if he's been offered a pay rise and a long term contract from QPR then if Ashley suddenly went insane and wanted to keep him why wouldn't Barton ask for what QPR were offering

Guest johnson293

Unlikely, unfortunately.

The club have shown that they are prepared to go back and offer contracts to players that didn't sign first time (Steven Taylor), however there is clearly bad feeling from the management, and there would no re-offer now to Barton.

Pretty shitty that Barton has unfollowed NUFC players already - I know its only twitter, but still.

That being said, take him out of the side and it leaves a gaping hole down the right hand side of a settled team. The hole he leaves is similar to the one we have at left back and the one we have upfront, frankly we can't afford to weaken the team any further. You know what you're going to get from him and that's a solid performer who is vocal on the pitch and can hold the team together. Losing him without a direct, sure-fire, like for like replacement is just yet further gambling by those at the top. We're going to be nowhere near relegation and I still remain confident we'll see 2 players coming in...but it's pretty depressing that mid-table is about the best we can expect this season. I guess it makes sense to an extent, the only way you're going to get top 6 is by spending a shitload of money and the positions 7th-17th are much as a muchness to Ashley. Aslong as he can keep us in the league why should he give a fuck as a businessman to try and invest and push us a couple of places higher. :dontknow: The prick.

:thup:

Many thanks for putting a much needed positive spin on this whole farce. You're bang on in every respect. Depressing as fuck to think he'll not be replaced though.

If Barton didn't have a lot of previous there'd be a ton of clubs going for him.

Clubs are staying away because of his reputation and they're afraid he'll unsettle things, not because of his ability as a player.

Like a player's reputation ever stopped Alex Ferguson from signing a player. He's not mobile enough for a top club, it's as simple as that.

It's true: from an ownership standpoint, the benefits of placing a few places higher in the Premiership are disproportionately miniscule compared to the money you'd need to spend to do so.

Yip. The big mular for football clubs comes from TV revenue, ticket sales, sponsorship etc. The 500k or so each place is worth in terms of prize money is miniscule in the grander scheme of things.

It's something that I honestly think is going to happen with every club in the league pretty much. Man United, Liverpool, City and Chelsea have the funding to splash big, Arsenal and Spurs are ran well enough as businesses to cling onto their tails. Everybody else is set to be stuck behind a glass ceiling that is pointless to try and break through, because it would take an absolute fortune just to get close.

Look at Villa for example, they're seemingly cutting their cloth accordingly now. 2 biggest players out for close to £40 million, one replacement in - now McLeish has been told to work with what he's got. The depressing reality is the league is going to be completely split in two from now on and the big money men are heading abroad to purchase clubs where success is easier to buy.

Guest Heneage

I'm not overly concerned with the clubs desire not to offer him a new deal, but to give him away is just naive. He plays a part in this team with good crossing and committed performances. He's no world beater and in time I can see Cabaye being twice the player of Barton. In many ways I think one year suits us well, keep him in there to keep the team spirit high while bedding in the new players, then at the end of the year we offer him a lower deal or he choses to leave and we replace him.

Top post

Near 1m per league position isnt it. So finish 3 places higher with Barton than without & he pays off his contract + more.

Keep in mind that 3 more points last season & we'd have been on the same points total as the team 4 places higher up.

Thats ignoring the potential for a better squad to do better in cups and earn more again by getting further.

Also the benefit of just generally having our club do better all round in terms of how that affects the way other players & our own would feel about our potential to achieve.