Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

I was talking about this with my mackem mate the other night, he basically says he's given up on football because it's impossible for clubs like ours to progress.

I'm still not sure I believe that entirely, and we'll see the effect of financial fair play, but it doesn't look rosy.

Selling players like Andy Carroll doesn't help.

Indeed not, but not many clubs can turn down that sort of money.

It's true: from an ownership standpoint, the benefits of placing a few places higher in the Premiership are disproportionately miniscule compared to the money you'd need to spend to do so.

Yip. The big mular for football clubs comes from TV revenue, ticket sales, sponsorship etc. The 500k or so each place is worth in terms of prize money is miniscule in the grander scheme of things.

It's something that I honestly think is going to happen with every club in the league pretty much. Man United, Liverpool, City and Chelsea have the funding to splash big, Arsenal and Spurs are ran well enough as businesses to cling onto their tails. Everybody else is set to be stuck behind a glass ceiling that is pointless to try and break through, because it would take an absolute fortune just to get close.

Look at Villa for example, they're seemingly cutting their cloth accordingly now. 2 biggest players out for close to £40 million, one replacement in - now McLeish has been told to work with what he's got. The depressing reality is the league is going to be completely split in two from now on and the big money men are heading abroad to purchase clubs where success is easier to buy.

Where do

you think our TV revenue, ticket sales, sponsorship money etc is going?

Maybe trying to get the overdraft down.

I was talking about this with my mackem mate the other night, he basically says he's given up on football because it's impossible for clubs like ours to progress.

I'm still not sure I believe that entirely, and we'll see the effect of financial fair play, but it doesn't look rosy.

Besides that, let's not kid ourselves. If Carroll's development didn't stall and he became a top striker, he was never going to be ours for very long anyway and we probably wouldn't have gotten 35m for him if we sold him later.

IMO I don't really mind. For me Newcastle has always been like this and I'll enjoy every matchday as it comes without particularly worrying about where we finish at the end of the season. As long as we don't get relegated it's fine and if we do better than expected that's a nice bonus.

Couldn't care less who actually wins the title, or about the entire Champions League for that matter. Might as well be a completely different sport.

I feel the same really, as long as we compete week-to-week and have a decent team to get behind it's fine. I can remember when we getting to the latter stages of the Champions League though, wouldn't mind another taste of that.

Between a rock and a hard place ever since we listed him. Taking him off and the board lose face. It is clear pardew wants to keep him but we have no choice but to accept offers under the position joeys has placed himself (with help from the goons upstairs).

If Barton didn't have a lot of previous there'd be a ton of clubs going for him.

Clubs are staying away because of his reputation and they're afraid he'll unsettle things, not because of his ability as a player.

No top club would go near him, man, and it's nothing to do with his repuation. I don't understand how people can watch the likes of Man United play the other night, or Arsenal and Spurs at their best and think he could fit into their midfields. He'd be a fish out of water, man.

I'm surprised somebody like Stoke or another mid-table club hasn't put the cash up for him, mind.

He's not top 4 material, no one is saying he is.  He's good enough for the likes of Everton, Villa, Bolton etc though.

Fair enough, aye.

Like jdc said though it's hard to justify his wages for those teams. Seems with QPR we've got a West Ham style scenario in terms of loudmouth ownership appeasing fans by signing an English player with an inflated reputation, who's much better than what they have and thus justifying a big, long-term contract.

Guest WashyGeordie

If he goes to QPR i'll be gob smacked like, but surely it'd be solely money reasons, as what would really motivate him other than that, to join a newly promoted team who tbh, have more chance of going down atm than us - and surely i'm not being biased.

And another thing, how much of a coincidence is it that a SSN reporter was travelling down on the train with him...

Besides that, let's not kid ourselves. If Carroll's development didn't stall and he became a top striker, he was never going to be ours for very long anyway and we probably wouldn't have gotten 35m for him if we sold him later.

Speaking of Carroll he has been awful recently. Got halled off early against arsenal.

Speaking of Carroll he has been awful recently. Got halled off early against arsenal.

They are already complaining about how he makes them play long ball football. Not his fault, but it could mean his rapid transition to the bench.

They are already complaining about how he makes them play long ball football. Not his fault, but it could mean his rapid transition to the bench.

Here's wishing. Welcome him back with open arms.

If he goes to QPR i'll be gob smacked like, but surely it'd be solely money reasons, as what would really motivate him other than that, to join a newly promoted team who tbh, have more chance of going down atm than us - and surely i'm not being biased.

And another thing, how much of a coincidence is it that a SSN reporter was travelling down on the train with him...

He loves the attention, that's for sure. Roll up, roll up..the Barton show is in town.

Aye, I see kenny's even resorted to blaming himself for his dip in form.

IMO I don't really mind. For me Newcastle has always been like this and I'll enjoy every matchday as it comes without particularly worrying about where we finish at the end of the season. As long as we don't get relegated it's fine and if we do better than expected that's a nice bonus.

Couldn't care less who actually wins the title, or about the entire Champions League for that matter. Might as well be a completely different sport.

I feel the same really, as long as we compete week-to-week and have a decent team to get behind it's fine. I can remember when we getting to the latter stages of the Champions League though, wouldn't mind another taste of that.

Totally agree but we could easily be topping that second league with a modicum of ambition rather seemingly settle on just not going down.

Totally agree but we could easily be topping that second league with a modicum of ambition rather seemingly settle on just not going down.

(From an owner's standpoint) What's the point of spending an extra 20m just to have a shot at topping the second league? How does that help him at all?

Wouldve thought a team in 7th would be a better proposition to buy than one in 17th. You can be well run and still show ambition

The fact we're even discussing this is a fucking shame like.

Very generous gesture by the club to give him a free, but as someone said earlier if only West Ham and QPR have shown interest on a free basis then there probably wasn't a fee to be had.

Good luck Joey - hope you find the sanity to go with your obvious intelligence one day.

Deleting all the NUFC players off twitter is a strange move...

its that I'm struggling to make any sense of

Severing all his ties with the club, so in that sense he's definitely off...

Did he really delete them off twitter?

When I looked a month ago he was not following anyone other than Simpson. I posted on here wondering why he didn't follow Jonas and co.