Dear Dear Me - We Made Him Speed

Skirge

112mph Sunderland star feared Newcastle fans were chasing him

Published Date:  11 August 2009

Grant Leadbitter claimed he was being followed by Newcastle United fans when he was caught speeding.

He appeared before Gateshead magistrates yesterday and admitted speeding on the A1 near the Angel of the North on March 7.

The midfielder, from Seaton, pleaded special reasons not to be banned after his BMW M6 was clocked speeding at 112mph.

Leadbitter, who had no previous convictions, said he had been in a Tyneside bar for a quiet drink after SAFC's 1-1 draw with Tottenham Hotspur, where he was abused by supporters from the Black Cat's biggest rivals.

The 23-year-old said he left the bar to avoid trouble, and on the way home thought he was being followed by another car.

"I was scared it was the fellas who had been in the bar," he said.

"I sped away. I didn't want them to follow me to my house.

"When I got to 90mph I thought if it's an unmarked police car it will pull me over because I am breaking the speed limit, but when it didn't I was convinced it was the lads from the bar."

Motor patrol Sergeant Lynne McKevitt said she followed the footballer's car for six minutes, and did not pull him over at 90mph because it was not safe to do so.

"He was accelerating and braking harshly," she added.

Magistrates banned Leadbitter for 14 days, fined him £250 and ordered him to pay £250 court costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/112mph-Sunderland-star-feared-Newcastle.5541780.jp

£515 fine and a 14 day ban for driving at that sort of speed!!!  Fuck me what a joke.

A mate of mine is due in court soon for doing 83 through the road works at Washington Services, while they were on, at 11:30pm.  No other cars or any workmen on the road.  He is expecting a bigger fine than that but, I doubt he will get any sort of ban.

I thought that it was automatically a  6 month ban for driving over 100mph to be honest!  Amazing what having the cash to employ an expensive barrister for your defence can do for you.

Sick!!

£515 fine and a 14 day ban for driving at that sort of speed!!!  Fuck me what a joke.

A mate of mine is due in court soon for doing 83 through the road works at Washington Services, while they were on, at 11:30pm.  No other cars or any workmen on the road.  He is expecting a bigger fine than that but, I doubt he will get any sort of ban.

I thought that it was automatically a  6 month ban for driving over 100mph to be honest!  Amazing what having the cash to employ an expensive barrister for your defence can do for you.

Sick!!

Michael Jackon, Steven Gerrard and now Grant Leadbelly.

All sicko freaks.

I say good on him, getting away with that excuse!

good on him for getting away with doing over 40mph over the limit ?

Perhaps that was the wrong wording, well it was. I am just in a state of disbelief that anybody managed to get away with that excuse!

I say good on him, getting away with that excuse!

good on him for getting away with doing over 40mph over the limit ?

Perhaps that was the wrong wording, well it was. I am just in a state of disbelief that anybody managed to get away with that excuse!

come on man. Mr Ferguson got away with speeding up the hard shoulder cos he needed the toilet.