Shola Ameobi

Greg

Guest Roger Kint

Villa won the European cup in the 80s. Same competition.

Thats like saying the FA Cup is the is the same as it was when Wanderers beat the Royal engineers in the final.

Exactly, in those days Villa couldnt lose their first 3 games and carry on ;D

Villa won the European cup in the 80s. Same competition.

Thats like saying the FA Cup is the is the same as it was when Wanderers beat the Royal engineers in the final.

No it isn't.

YEs it is.

It isn't. I also wouldn't say that no royal engineers players had scored in the FA cup. Villa's European cup goals shouldn't be discounted because of a name change, it's the same competition. The same way the Prem is the same as the old D1.

Actually, this is a somewhat interesting discussion for a change.

Case in point, UEFA lists the EC and the CL as different trophies:

http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/club=50080/competition=1/index.html

(scroll down to the "honors" section)

Not that surprising...wasn't it their re-branding to create extra TV revenues etc? It's clearly a continuation of the same thing with a slightly different format, much like the Intercities Fairs cup -> UEFA Cup -> Europa League etc.

Oh, jesting aside it's all the same for me. Top tier continental trophy, top tier league competition, etc... Not so sure about the Intercities Fairs Cup since it was invitational iirc, but I'd love it since we have three.

I've got a feeling it was only invitational to the extent that you couldn't have two clubs from the same city in europe, other than that it was on league placings? Sure dad told me the year we won it Man City actually finished higher in the league but we took their place as ManU were already in europe. He could be wrong though, he's a bit of an idiot.

Guest Roger Kint

Oh, jesting aside it's all the same for me. Top tier continental trophy, top tier league competition, etc... Not so sure about the Intercities Fairs Cup since it was invitational iirc, but I'd love it since we have three.

I've got a feeling it was only invitational to the extent that you couldn't have two clubs from the same city in europe, other than that it was on league placings? Sure dad told me the year we won it Man City actually finished higher in the league but we took their place as ManU were already in europe. He could be wrong though, he's a bit of an idiot.

Sound like what i heard, did we not finish 10th that season?

Reading the wikipedia article on the competition it seems that yours was actually the first one where competitors were selected on league placement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Cities_Fairs_Cup

Grats on winning the first proper second tier continental cup, then.

After 1968 it was sometimes referred to as the Runners Up Cup, with teams now qualifying based on league position. In 1971 it came under the auspices of UEFA and was replaced by the UEFA Cup. [1][2]

1968/69

Newcastle United (ENG) 3 - 0 Újpest FC (HUN) St. James' Park, Newcastle

Újpest FC (HUN) 2 - 3 Newcastle United (ENG) Megyeri úti Stadium, Budapest

Newcastle United won 6-2 on aggregate