Eight points better off...

Optimistic Nut

Guest The_Scoreboard

In 06/07 the mackems had 34 points from 23games and went on to win with 96 pts. thats some second half of the season which im positive we can match at least. O0

In 06/07 the mackems had 34 points from 23games and went on to win with 96 pts. thats some second half of the season which im positive we can match at least. O0

Other teams can go on similar runs so we have to aim to for 90 points because that'll get us automatically promoted, for sure.

Other teams can go on similar runs so we have to aim to for 90 points because that'll get us automatically promoted, for sure.

The only team in the league apart from us capable of that are WBA...Boro perhaps.

Guest The_Scoreboard

The only team in the league apart from us capable of that are WBA...Boro perhaps.

I was expecting cardiff to be up there and possibly capable of this but not now :rolleyes:

I don't think Boro will tbh. They're better than their recent form, but they won't hit 90 points.

I bet other teams' fans really hate us being in this division.  So far, we've pretty much taken one automatic promotion place away from every other team.  The best a lot of other teams can hope for is a play-off place and that isn't all that appetizing to be playing for.

I bet other teams' fans really hate us being in this division. So far, we've pretty much taken one automatic promotion place away from every other team. The best a lot of other teams can hope for is a play-off place and that isn't all that appetizing to be playing for.

It's a doubleblow really, because it also happens to WBA season in the Championsip, which they are garunteed an aotumatic promotion spot, so that leaves everyone else fighting for the play off's with the stronger teams like Cardiff and Boro to content with in there aswell, so that would mean, in all honesty, that their is only 2 places up for grabs, and then you would still have to play a team you will more then likely get beaten off.

So for a lot of teams this year, this season will be used as gradually building your team up, ready for the challenge next year.

It may be me being pessimistic, but i still have this feeling West Brom will finish top...they seem more at ease in this division style-wise yet have slipped up alot recently. Theyre roughly the same goal diff whil nearly ten points behind. I think our january match will really be a big factor, if for nothing else but confidence (imagine if we open a 10 point gap?)

Guest Roger Kint

It may be me being pessimistic, but i still have this feeling West Brom will finish top...they seem more at ease in this division style-wise yet have slipped up alot recently. Theyre roughly the same goal diff whil nearly ten points behind. I think our january match will really be a big factor, if for nothing else but confidence (imagine if we open a 10 point gap?)

Not bothered tbh, 2nd will do as long as we go up which is our priority

Would you have said Sunderland had a chance of going on that kind of run after accumulating only 34 points from 23 games? Anything can happen because this division is shite.

In January we really need to start looking at players that can keep us up when we (inevitably now imo) get promoted. Delighted with how well we're doing, but can't help but think that in a seasons time we could find ourselves sitting in the relegation zone. :undecided:

Was just looking over past tables, interesting really.

In the last 20 years of the championship/divison one etc the only team to have conceded less goals at this point in the season is Reading, who'd conceded 11 by now the season they got to 106.

They'd scored 3 more than us at this point in the season to.

So we're still on track for a very good season, before yesterday we had the best defensive record in a long long time.

aye well, as long as we don't think it will  be good enough for the PL - both Reading and Sunderland went up with massive points totals and goals scored and struggled dreadfully once they were up and eventually slipped back down again

When they both got over 100 they had good following season in the prem, both got into top 10. I think an increase in confidence will help a lot for a period of time, people need to realise that many of the players we have now werent playing 100% last season & will be more likely to once we go back up with a fresh start. So i dont think its as bad as its sometimes viewed, but obviously we have to bring in better quality in certain areas also. I think a good prem standard striker & couple of midfielders would keep us up.

One thing that occurred to me yesterday which reminded me of the latter half of the 92/93 season was the reassuring knowledge that we would win. No tension from the crowd, even when we were doing Ole's at 1 - 0 up. After watching the defensive display of Colocinni and Enrique yesterday, this side just edges it on the defensive side over the 92/93 side IMO, never thought they would score at all, and if they did always thought we had a spare gear or two to knock another one in.

Although it can be quite frustrating when the side isn't busting a gut to get a third or fourth when 2 - 0 up, given the amount of games played in this season its probably the sensible thing to do.

Guest Stephen927

The defence looked so assured cos they were up against some shite attackers in Kitson and Lita. Lita had his moments though, if he wasn't so poor he could have levelled the match for them.

But credit where credit is due, Coloccini has grown from the mess of a player we saw last season, but there are still doubts for me that he won't go and be the exact same player once we get promoted.

I agrree belios this  side is better defensively than 92-93, but not as entertaining going forward.

NO way on earth is this side better than the 92-93 season in our current side we dont have anyone as good as

beresford,venison,lee,clark,sellars,cole,kelly

I agrree belios this  side is better defensively than 92-93, but not as entertaining going forward.

NO way on earth is this side better than the 92-93 season in our current side we dont have anyone as good as

Totally agree - this league is WAY worse than in 92/93 and the proof will come when and if the side are promoted. There is NO way this side would survive in the Prem without MAJOR surgery.

Also, you can add Bracewell to your list above and Peacock was a more skillful forward than any at the club now.

Totally agree - this league is WAY worse than in 92/93 and the proof will come when and if the side are promoted. There is NO way this side would survive in the Prem without MAJOR surgery.

Also, you can add Bracewell to your list above and Peacock was a more skillful forward than any at the club now.

Wasn't Peacock bought after we gained promotion?