Eight points better off...

Optimistic Nut

I suspect you're talking about different Peacock's, an easy mistake, in life and in football.

I was only talking about defensively, and yes I think Enrique, Simpson, Taylor and Colocinni are better defensively than Venison, Beresford, Scott and Kilcline.

I also don't agree the other teams were stronger in 92/93 either - back then the top division wasn't as full with foreign talent, therefore a lot of the players who nowadays are playing in the second division would have probably been playing in the top flight, since there were less foreign players to force them out.

I suspect you're talking about different Peacock's, an easy mistake, in life and in football.

I was only talking about defensively, and yes I think Enrique, Simpson, Taylor and Colocinni are better defensively than Venison, Beresford, Scott and Kilcline.

I also don't agree the other teams were stronger in 92/93 either - back then the top division wasn't as full with foreign talent, therefore a lot of the players who nowadays are playing in the second division would have probably been playing in the top flight, since there were less foreign players to force them out.

Totally agree, back then the 1st Division was where the best British players played along with a few foreigners.

Nowadays our 1st Division (PL) is where most of the world's best players play, meaning a lot of players who would have made it at that level years ago now play in the league below.

Agree with the above. The Premier League is way stronger now than back then. In the early 90s you had the likes of Blackburn, Newcastle & Nottingham Forest go up and finish top 3 at the first attempt just about. Now you'd need to spend a ton just to finish safely in mid-table.

Kilcline rarely played. Steve Howey was better than Taylor though. Beresford and Venison were better than the current two fullbacks as well. Kevin Scott was weaker than most though but did his job. The team is set up in a totally different way and the teams we are playing against are better in the main. The old midfield was a light year ahead of this bunch though. We had decent front players then though - Kelly, Peacock, Quinn and towards the end Cole. Hard to tell but the current lot are doing well enough so not fussed. The old lot would beat this lot though just through movement and guile - something we lack.

Players turned up today thinking it was going to be a walk in the park. They need to drop that attitude.

It's the Carroll attitude spreading, that being said, would it have been as bad if Smudger was on? He tends to only play one style (most carded player in league in all)

Players turned up today thinking it was going to be a walk in the park. They need to drop that attitude.

It's the Carroll attitude spreading, that being said, would it have been as bad if Smudger was on? He tends to only play one style (most carded player in league in all)

Carroll attitude?  He was one of most committed players, challenging for every ball.  Harewood attitude would be more like it...

Bang on target for 100 points. Not too shabby at all.

We both said that we're capable of winning 30, drawing 10 and losing 6 to get 100 points. We're completely on track for that. :)

its a good job we have a mathsamagician on here.

3pts less, but dosent feel anywhere near as good.

• 2 weeks later...

As an average over the last five seasons in the Championship, 82 points gets you automatic promotion. We have 51 points from a possible 72 so far, winning 15 of 24 games.

We therefore probably need another 33 points to be certain; 11 wins from the remaining 22 games. In theory then we could lose 11 more games and still go up, and so far we've only lost 3.

No real reason for this post btw, but it feels good looking at it that way. :)

• 1 month later...

This season.

P 33....W 20....D 9....L 4....F 58....A 23....Pts 69

1992-3 season.

P 33....W 21....D 7....L 5....F 59....A 27....Pts 70

We can overtake the last promotion season for the first time against Barnsley. (Keegan's team drew matchday 34, and lost 35)

The last time we got promoted from this division I think we won our first 10 games. I don't think we finished champions even then ridiculous though that now seems.

Still.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

The last time we got promoted from this division I think we won our first 10 games. I don't think we finished champions even then ridiculous though that now seems.

To be fair, he's right.

That does sound fucking ridiculous.

The disgraceful moving of the Plymouth game creates its own parallels with the promotion season. That time our game a Grimsby was moved so it didn't clash with the Bank Holiday weekend in Cleethorpes (ffs!) and so with 3 games left we had to play midweek to clinch both promotion and the championship.

That time we also still had to play a game in game on the Thursday against Oxford, so in fact had 2 games in game but seen to remember celebrating the mackems beating Portsmouth on the Saturday to set it all up.

That night at Grimsby was fantastic and the other 14k there will agree and its such a shame that the potential for as many Mags as possible to be in Plymouth has been taken away.

Guest Phil K

To be fair, he's right.

That does sound f***ing ridiculous.

It certainly would if we hadn't won the thing (at Grimsby wasn't it ? Or was that just promotion ?)

I heard on the radio before the game that if we don't lose in our final 5 home games it will be the first time in 103 years that we have gone all season unbeaten at home. Quite a staggering achievement if it's true considering how belief was rock bottom before the season began.