Eight points better off...

Optimistic Nut

Guest Phil K

We didnt fill half of Pboro's ground that season

I was a polis with cambs police that day, got my only ever footy arrest when one of our lot ran on the pitch when we scored (sorry like)

A polis has to do what a polis has to do

I was in Blackpool on a works day out that day I remember.

I was desperately trying to find out the score, I recall.

Got the score from a TV shop.

Went to the pubs with a smile thereafter.

So much for comparing ourselves to Keegan's storm troopers. That team was genuinely a class above the other teams in the division, this lot are over-achieving at the moment I reckon. If we are better than the rest of the teams here it's not by much.

we've never looked great so far, we've just had better players, or at least, players with the kind of end product that Championship players lack. Nolan and Taylor for instance, still look crap during our general play, but they pop up with goals and assists now and again. Only it doesn't happen every single game. i'd like us to start looking more coherent and more than the sum of our parts, getting nice passing moves established rather than hope for chances to present themselves. havent seen anything from today but it didn't sound different to our previous games.

we've never looked great so far, we've just had better players, or at least, players with the kind of end product that Championship players lack. Nolan and Taylor for instance, still look crap during our general play, but they pop up with goals and assists now and again. Only it doesn't happen every single game. i'd like us to start looking more coherent and more than the sum of our parts, getting nice passing moves established rather than hope for chances to present themselves. havent seen anything from today but it didn't sound different to our previous games.

Couldn't agree more Johnny. Nolan and Taylor are gash footballers on the ball but they do deliver end product. I am thinking that the long ball tactics are our best option as this will bypass the pathetic midfield which we have had to suffer for the last few season.

the only home game i missed that season was bristol city, was reminded of it yesterday, locked out at about 1pm. Tried climb gallowgate wall+ lampost, coppers saw me. Went round to leazes tried to get in the Bristol end. Copper says,..'where you from', fake accent-'Bristol'..... what part?....' erm City?'....he told me to ' fuck off' - :sadnod:!

So much for comparing ourselves to Keegan's storm troopers. That team was genuinely a class above the other teams in the division, this lot are over-achieving at the moment I reckon. If we are better than the rest of the teams here it's not by much.

Right on the button - this side are not in the same class as KK's 92/93 promotion team ; even the midfield, supposedly the best part of the side, is mediocre and one paced.

Promotion is still a long way off in my view and the Play-offs would be a success bearing in mind the problems surrounding the club.

Right on the button - this side are not in the same class as KK's 92/93 promotion team ; even the midfield, supposedly the best part of the side, is mediocre and one paced.

Promotion is still a long way off in my view and the Play-offs would be a success bearing in mind the problems surrounding the club.

Defence is the best part of the team by an absolute mile.

:thup:

Coloccini ; Taylor ? The former is not as good as even Steve Howey was as a CB and Taylor is about on a par with Kevin Scott.....

The 2 fullbacks are OK, but I wouldn't swap Venison or Beresford for the current pair.

Coloccini ; Taylor ? The former is not as good as even Steve Howey was as a CB and Taylor is about on a par with Kevin Scott.....

The 2 fullbacks are OK, but I wouldn't swap Venison or Beresford for the current pair.

I'm not comparing it to that team, it's just the strongest part of the team, currently, by an absolute mile. We aren't anywhere near as good as we were in 92/93 (although my memories, due to age, of that season are minimal and I'm mainly basing it on what I saw the following year).

I'm not so sure. This current team might actually go on to win the league.

I'm not so sure. This current team might actually go on to win the league.

:lol: Class.

• 1 month later...

I'm not so sure, I think our first choice defence this year is better than 92-93. The fact that it is playing behind such a weak midfield doesn't help, whereas the defence in 92/93 played behind a midfield that was starting off wave after wave of attacks.

I'm not so sure, I think our first choice defence this year is better than 92-93. The fact that it is playing behind such a weak midfield doesn't help, whereas the defence in 92/93 played behind a midfield that was starting off wave after wave of attacks.

92-93 Keegan> hughton

and yet howey,beresford and v enison all went on to get endgland call ups.

surely the issue is that keegan got them to play as a unit of 11, defensivly and attacking.

surely the issue is that keegan got them to play as a unit of 11, defensivly and attacking.

Keegan was very single minded in HOW we played. The confused style of lumping the ball high and long while supposedly trying to retain posession just wouldn't have been tolerated.

Keegan was very single minded in HOW we played. The confused style of lumping the ball high and long while supposedly trying to retain posession just wouldn't have been tolerated.

None of them were established internationals, I think Beresford was B team only.

:colo: is an established international, and I can see Enrique making the grade for Spain, and Taylor eventually appearing for England.

But you're right, Keegan's team played together, which meant that there was often less pressure on the defenders to perform as an isolated unit.

• 3 weeks later...

2009-2010

P 18, W 12, D 3, L 3, F 29, A 10, Pts 39

1992-1993

P 18, W 15, D 1, L 2, F 38, A 14, Pts 46

The 5 games after that, the Keegan side had a bit of a blip with just 7 points from them...so this current side has a little chance to overtake them before the New Year (need to win the next 5 like).