Chris Hughton

Keefaz

....are you saying he should have f***ed off like Shearer at the end of last season?

Wait, am I getting this right, the reason Shearer isn't out manager is because he (Shearer) f***ed off at the end of last season?

Or do you mean he had a meeting with Ashley and laid out his plans.. that scared the s*** out of Ashley. We could debate that perhaps, were Shearer's demands excessive? Given the clubs track record with verifiable statements I wouldn't expect many to believe the tales of extravagent demands.

Given the fact I've never met Ashley or implied it I'd say your post was a pile of s***.

Not sure how you read that into my post, I never implied anything but especially not that you'd met Ashley.

We do know Shearer and Ashley met though, and there was talk (papertalk?) afterwards that Shearers wage demands were high and/or the transfer kitty he wanted was excessive.

I'm trying to understand your statement re 'Shearer fucking off at the end of the season'. It seems an extreme statement, given that, as far as we know, he wasn't even offered the job. Unless you're implying his demands effectively ruled him out of the job.

Save your breath mate, there's no point trying to have a rational debate with Mr 2sheds. He's either a WUM or an idiot, and not worth the bother!

If it's until the end of the season I don't mind, if it's long term (which I suspect it's not, as Ashley isn't in it for the long term) I can't say I'm going to be a happy man. Just like when we appointed Roeder.

Do you think it is a good decision then?
It's good from the point of view we need someone in the managers chair.

It's good from the point of view that it should bring some much needed stability.

It's good that Hughton gets at least until the end of the season to prove himself.

It's bad that the job hasn't gone to Mourinho/Hitzfeld/Sven etc etc etc but that's called being realistic.

FWIW Ashleys is a sack of s***.

Is that clearer for you?

So Hughton gets until the end of the season to prove himself but Shearer can be written off as being **** after eight games?

I am indeed having difficulty comprehending this.

Now why are you bringing Shearer up? :pow:

Your approach to judging the respective managers just seems really strange.  One is given a full season (and pre-season to prove himself) while the other only got a handful of games.

Or to put it another way one willingly stays at the club despite the uncertainty of his position while the other one f***s back off to MOTD.

Our last 45 mins of football under Shearer is the most gutless performance I've seen from any Newcastle team - and I've seen us relegated 3 times.

How's it Shearer's fault he has to go back to MOTD? I'm sure if Ashley offered him a contract he'd probably take it (although I'm less sure about this now) and if Ashley offered him a contract back at the start of June he'd have bitten his hands off.

I don't disagree with the second bit though, although it's not really that great a reason not to give Shearer a second chance (not alone anyway).  If you're going to judge Shearer on those eight games you should judge Hughton on his first eight games which were equally as bad (or at least very close to being as bad, despite being under less pressure and arguably having easier games).

Hughton has apparently just been offered a managers contract, are you saying he should have f***ed off like Shearer at the end of last season?

??? No?  Hughton was under contract as a coach and took over as caretaker, Shearer had a contract for eight games which expired at the end of the season and Ashley seemingly didn't want to give him a contract.  I don't see what Shearer was supposed to do?  He clearly wanted the job and didn't want to run off.

But he did.

While Hughton stayed.

Which of the two has done the most for us this season?

We don't know if Shearer was offered a contract, obviously no-one knows what was going on but no paper ran with stories of 'Shearer turns down Newcastle.'  It's obvious Shearer wanted to stay or he wouldn't have bothered going to any meetings with Ashley.  Granted he may have wanted unreasonable demands but I think its safe to say Ashley wanted to spend nothing, why else would he put the club up for sale straight away after?  Why not get another manager who'd work for half of what Shearer wanted and demand half as big a transfer kitty?  And looking back over Ashley's reign I'm more inclined to believe unreasonableness from Ashley's side rather than Shearer's (and I'd say that with almost all manager's in Shearer's place).

Also, I can't remember exactly (so may very well be wrong) but I don't think Hughton was ever offered a new contract, he just carried on with his coaching contract and this is why he's now negotiating a new, proper manager's contract.  He's obviously done more for us this season but that's hardly Shearer's fault.

See post above.

According to the Times, Hughton's contract will not be extended, he's got until the end of next season on his current one, and that will probably be changed to reflect he's the manager.

Which ultimately is no big deal, despite the hysterics coming from NUFC.com and others.

With the continuing impasse regarding the sale of the club, it probably offers Hughton the respect he deserves while not tying down any untried or long contract expensive manager who would take a further chunk of wedge away should a future owner not want them.

I agree with this also and it makes sense but long term no thanks ,just get us promoted Chris and get your moment of glory after being so dignified in this whole shambles.

I don't think anyone wants it to be long term and it's unlikely to be so.

My question mark over Hughton is WHY he wants this and WHY he even bothered staying in the first place ?

Some people are calling him a puppet and spineless. Absolute bullshit. Chris Hughton would not be out of work for long if he left Newcastle, he has an excellent reputation within the game. He HAS options and for some strange reason chose to stay here whether as coach, caretaker or boss.

He must be mad. Most people would have done a runner at the first opportunity !

It'll only be till the end of the season anyway or a rolling contract like JFK's.  I'm not too concerned about this I knew the club wasn't going to be sold anyway so it's exactly the same so don't understand the overeaction, if we were still winning people wouldn't be going so mental.

If we were still winning I certainly would still be going mental.

It'll only be till the end of the season anyway or a rolling contract like JFK's.  I'm not too concerned about this I knew the club wasn't going to be sold anyway so it's exactly the same so don't understand the overeaction, if we were still winning people wouldn't be going so mental.

Can you clarify why you are going mental to me?

I don't rate him as a manager, he is poor tactically, for me doesn't seem to be able to motivate very well. And for me it's more the symbolism of the appointment, basically we're not getting sold. Plus I can't see it being an appointment that will excite the players either.

I don't rate him as a manager, he is poor tactically, for me doesn't seem to be able to motivate very well. And for me it's more the symbolism of the appointment, basically we're not getting sold. Plus I can't see it being an appointment that will excite the players either.

The players have been calling for him to be appointed, we all know he would have been here till the end of the season whether caretaker or not.  Bringing in a new manager now would disrupt the team.  Would you prefer Shearer?  We couldn't afford for him to cut his teeth this season we need to push on, with hughton it's working and I've no doubt we'll go up.

....are you saying he should have f***ed off like Shearer at the end of last season?

Wait, am I getting this right, the reason Shearer isn't out manager is because he (Shearer) f***ed off at the end of last season?

Or do you mean he had a meeting with Ashley and laid out his plans.. that scared the s*** out of Ashley. We could debate that perhaps, were Shearer's demands excessive? Given the clubs track record with verifiable statements I wouldn't expect many to believe the tales of extravagent demands.

Given the fact I've never met Ashley or implied it I'd say your post was a pile of s***.

Not sure how you read that into my post, I never implied anything but especially not that you'd met Ashley.

We do know Shearer and Ashley met though, and there was talk (papertalk?) afterwards that Shearers wage demands were high and/or the transfer kitty he wanted was excessive.

I'm trying to understand your statement re 'Shearer f***ing off at the end of the season'. It seems an extreme statement, given that, as far as we know, he wasn't even offered the job. Unless you're implying his demands effectively ruled him out of the job.

Save your breath mate, there's no point trying to have a rational debate with Mr 2sheds. He's either a WUM or an idiot, and not worth the bother!

Says the man who said the players took the piss before Shearer arrived last season, apparently didn't think they did in that last shitty 45 mins of premiership football

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,61053.3570.html

Not sure whether anyone has mentioned this conspiricy theory yet or not, having not read the full thread!

Maybe Ashley / Llambias are using Hughton as a patsy in their attempt to hurry Moat along with his finances, a few days ago they declared that Moat had deposited £40m into Ashley's account already and Ashley wanted the balance of £40m more to complete the deal, Moat was supposed to be talking to his backers to get the money.  Then all of a sudden they are engaging with Hughton with a view to make him full time official manager.......  it doesn't stack up.  I don't doubt for a second that they have spoken to Hughton and offered him a contract, whether they would intend to actually follow it through is another matter entirely!!

I can't help but, think that everything that we hear that is supposed to come from Ashley or Llambias is just a disgusting lie or at the very least a spin of truth. 

According to the Times, Hughton's contract will not be extended, he's got until the end of next season on his current one, and that will probably be changed to reflect he's the manager.

Which ultimately is no big deal, despite the hysterics coming from NUFC.com and others.

With the continuing impasse regarding the sale of the club, it probably offers Hughton the respect he deserves while not tying down any untried or long contract expensive manager who would take a further chunk of wedge away should a future owner not want them.

What makes you think that our present state of uncertainty is temporary and we are just waiting for a new owner to come in, so lets not appoint a manager of any credibility so he doesn't have to sack him ?

Need I remind you, that we've been in this uncertain position for well over a year now and there's still no light at the end of the tunnel.

We are stuck with Ashley's ridiculous ownership, the least we can hope for is that he appoints people with some sort of clue around him.

This club could fall a lot further, we haven't bottomed yet.

Not sure whether anyone has mentioned this conspiricy theory yet or not, having not read the full thread!

Maybe Ashley / Llambias are using Hughton as a patsy in their attempt to hurry Moat along with his finances, a few days ago they declared that Moat had deposited £40m into Ashley's account already and Ashley wanted the balance of £40m more to complete the deal, Moat was supposed to be talking to his backers to get the money.  Then all of a sudden they are engaging with Hughton with a view to make him full time official manager.......  it doesn't stack up.  I don't doubt for a second that they have spoken to Hughton and offered him a contract, whether they would intend to actually follow it through is another matter entirely!!

I can't help but, think that everything that we hear that is supposed to come from Ashley or Llambias is just a disgusting lie or at the very least a spin of truth. 

Aye I thought this, good to know I'm not the only cynic. I just don't believe a word they utter. I think everything is done for a reason for them and their ends.

On the other hand giving Hughton the job would be typical, he's cheap, he won't argue and he'll say all the right things when Enrique, Taylor and Jonas are sold in January with another Harewood or Raylor coming in (or even worse) for three months.

I agree with this also and it makes sense but long term no thanks ,just get us promoted Chris and get your moment of glory after being so dignified in this whole shambles.

My question mark over Hughton is WHY he wants this and WHY he even bothered staying in the first place ?

Some people are calling him a puppet and spineless. Absolute bullshit. Chris Hughton would not be out of work for long if he left Newcastle, he has an excellent reputation within the game. He HAS options and for some strange reason chose to stay here whether as coach, caretaker or boss.

He has an excellent reputation as a coach maybe, the only reputation he has as a manager is the one he's building here and the jury's still very much out on that one.

What makes you think that our present state of uncertainty is temporary and we are just waiting for a new owner to come in, so lets not appoint a manager of any credibility so he doesn't have to sack him ?

Need I remind you, that we've been in this uncertain position for well over a year now and there's still no light at the end of the tunnel.

We are stuck with Ashley's ridiculous ownership, the least we can hope for is that he appoints people with some sort of clue around him.

No, frankly you don't.

I know about as much as anyone else right now i.e. very little, hence the theoretical tone of my post.  You seem to know. Please enlighten us.

What is fairly clear is that no one SERIOUS is remotely interested in buying Newcastle, and honestly who can blame them.

A small point about Hughton. You may not think he has "any credibility" but he is very well thought of in football, and getting the start he has out of the team despite the ongoing uncertanties will only have enhanced his stock.

I don't think anyone wants him as long term manager, but to dismiss him as lacking credibility is mis-informed at best and malicious at worst.

He has an excellent reputation as a coach maybe, the only reputation he has as a manager is the one he's building here and the jury's still very much out on that one.

Dead right. Although he has a good name in the game he can not be judged as a manager yet.

Lets face it we could appoint anyone in football as manager, but to some if his surname is not Keegan or Shearer he'd be unworthy and on a hiding from the start.

If I were Hughton I'd rather be a coach somewhere sane than manager of the hysterical and mad Newcastle, but for some reason he seems to like it here. God knows why ?

Dead right. Although he has a good name in the game he can not be judged as a manager yet.

Lets face it we could appoint anyone in football as manager, but to some if his surname is not Keegan or Shearer he'd be unworthy and on a hiding from the start.

If I were Hughton I'd rather be a coach somewhere sane than manager of the hysterical and mad Newcastle, but for some reason he seems to like it here. God knows why ?

Maybe he likes the idea of leading out his team at away grounds in the knowledge that 3-4000 hysterical and mad Newcastle fans will back their team even hundreds of miles from home? Not everyone can boast that as a manager.

Anyway, I really hope he's up to the job. I genuinely like the guy, some have compared him to Roeder, but Hughton seems a much less snidey character but I am wary of Newcastle players slowly easing their foot off the pedal now that there's no one to apply a boot up their arse when they take the piss.

Aye I thought this, good to know I'm not the only cynic. I just don't believe a word they utter. I think everything is done for a reason for them and their ends.

On the other hand giving Hughton the job would be typical, he's cheap, he won't argue and he'll say all the right things when Enrique, Taylor and Jonas are sold in January with another Harewood or Raylor coming in (or even worse) for three months.

Even on a temporary contract, Hughton complained about the squad size.  Calling him a 'yes' man is slightly unfair at this point.  No one in his position is going to start mouthing off about the chairman.  If you were a temp, on a month-to-month deal, are you going to start complaining loudly about your fat, incompetent boss?  Or are you going to wait until you have a permanent contract and more security before you disagree with bad decisions?

And let's say you're right, and Ashley and Llambas sell Enrique, Jonas, Barton and anyone else of any value.  What should he do at that point?  What is in the best interest of the club?  Tell Ashley he's a cunt and resign?  Leave the club at the mercy of Ashley, Kinnear, or whatever bad idea he appoints in the interim?

Even on a temporary contract, Hughton complained about the squad size.  Calling him a 'yes' man is slightly unfair at this point.  No one in his position is going to start mouthing off about the chairman.  If you were a temp, on a month-to-month deal, are you going to start complaining loudly about your fat, incompetent boss?  Or are you going to wait until you have a permanent contract and more security before you disagree with bad decisions?

And let's say you're right, and Ashley and Llambas sell Enrique, Jonas, Barton and anyone else of any value.  What should he do at that point?  What is in the best interest of the club?  Tell Ashley he's a c*** and resign?  Leave the club at the mercy of Ashley, Kinnear, or whatever bad idea he appoints in the interim?

Good points.

Hughton has actually been quite vocal regarding squad strength/size, in a rational sort of way.

Let's face it if we're going to be honest he's actually said far less in support of Ashley than both Keegan and Shearer, who were both quite complimentary to him while they were "manager". Lest we forget.

No, frankly you don't.

I know about as much as anyone else right now i.e. very little, hence the theoretical tone of my post.  You seem to know. Please enlighten us.

What is fairly clear is that no one SERIOUS is remotely interested in buying Newcastle, and honestly who can blame them.

A small point about Hughton. You may not think he has "any credibility" but he is very well thought of in football, and getting the start he has out of the team despite the ongoing uncertanties will only have enhanced his stock.

I don't think anyone wants him as long term manager, but to dismiss him as lacking credibility is mis-informed at best and malicious at worst.

He's got an good reputation within football as a COACH not a manager. He's failed miserably when put in the position as caretaker every time bar this time, which is in a lower division with a squad far superior almost everything else in it.

All you do by appointing him permenatly is mean someone will have to sack him eventually whether that be this season because we fail to get up, or early next season  because we start to struggle.. Then you lose the good coach you had.

There is nothing in this man's make up that suggests he can handle a manager's job, nothing, does he have a spine ? Is he charamatic ? Will he make tough decsision ? Will he stand up to the ownership on matters he regards as important ? Will he be able to tactical out master his opponents ? We he intimidate other managers, like a certain red nosed Scot ? Will he be more than a yes man for a disfunctional ownership ?

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/10/ashleys-lack-of-leadership-leaves-newcastle-straddling-knifeedge.html

Ashley's lack of leadership leaves Newcastle straddling knife-edge

George Caulkin

Congratulations to Chris Hughton and a bouquet of poison ivy for Mike  Ashley - at the contrary, contradictory, baffling, extraordinary club that is Newcastle United, it is possible to offer both. A team that has hovered around the summit of the Coca Cola Championship this season is simultaneously teetering on a precipice; only tortured analogies can encapsulate the chaos of Barrack Road.

To begin, a disclaimer: second-guessing Ashley's intentions is futile. Making sense of a senseless regime is impossible. But after two years of decline, five managers, Dennis Wise, relegation, cost-cutting, redundancies, admissions of deliberately misleading supporters and dunder-headed policy, we have precedent to point to and Newcastle's owner is incapable of stringing two good decisions together.

So Ashley-s offer to Hughton of a permanent contract (nothing has been signed) can be interpreted in any number of ways, from recognition that a takeover saga has drifted towards stalemate, to an attempt to embrace stability, to a puppet-master's machinations. But whatever the reason and however it fits the sportswear retailer's agenda, we already know that failure lies at the heart of his governance.

On a facile, immediate level, Hughton’s appointment would carry logic with it. He, like his players, has done a fine job under testing circumstances, reacting to demotion with principle, fortitude and the avoidance of hysteria. He is a sound coach who gives little away in public – too little, if anything – who is well-liked by a first-team squad which has been pared back to the bone.

To judge from Newcastle’s lurches into crisis, you would think that St James’ Park sits on seismic fault-lines and at least Hughton offers continuity. We should not forget that as recently as two months ago, Newcastle were – incredibly - talking to both Joe Kinnear and David O’Leary. Where Ashley is concerned, things can always get worse and perhaps fan can console themselves with minor mercies.

There is a connected argument, too. How reasonable is it to expect a team and coaching staff to function efficiently under temporary leadership, when nobody knows if tomorrow will bring new ownership or management? As the campaign has matured and amid largely positive results – this is written before Scunthorpe United – such short-termism cannot be sustainable.

In spite of his earlier enthusiasm (we know now that nothing said by his regime can be taken at face value), Ashley’s refusal to name Alan Shearer as manager was because he did not want Newcastle’s next custodians – ha! - to be encumbered with someone else’s man. And he stated in the Sunday Times at the weekend that he would elevate Hughton if he could not sell the club.

Fans can draw their own conclusions - the mood feels leaden - but it would be premature to take a wrecking ball to Barry Moat’s hopes of unseating Ashley. There are obvious conflicts about the structure of payments and Ashley is clearly not convinced about Moat’s financial wherewithal, but a formal offer has been made and negotiations have not yet broken off.

Those close to the deal retain the gut feeling that Ashley “is a seller.” In other words, he wants out. Nothing more has been heard from a South African consortium, but Seymour Pierce, the investment bank, are still engaged to sell Newcastle. As things stand, it would not be incompatible for Hughton to be offered a contract until the end of the season and for the club to remain on the market.

Wishful thinking, perhaps, although under Ashley there is scope for nothing else; no rationale or substance to base theories on and precious little communication. There is only blind hope. And once you delve beyond the league table, the victories, the spirit of the side – best not mention Nottingham Forest – there are significant issues regarding the Hughton scenario and what, feasibly, it might entail.

Where is the strategy on Tyneside? Who, to paraphrase that renowned political genius George W. Bush (and, yes, that was sarcastic), are the deciders? Who determines the things that are not just about daily training sessions, team selections and tactics, which will affect the club for months down the line? Scouting, player identification, sports science and medicine are not seat-of-the-pants operations.

A couple of months ago, Steve Bruce was already making plans for Sunderland’s next pre-season, for possible opponents and training camps. That might not appear the most earth-shattering issue, but are similar things being examined on Gallowgate? Niall Quinn has said that a cornerstone of his leadership is about looking at the transfer window after the next one. Newcastle, meanwhile, are asleep at the wheel.

This is what Kevin Nolan, the midfield player, said in the Newcastle Journal on Monday. “We need to strengthen. We’ve been saying this for a long, long time and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. We need to strengthen the squad if we are going to give ourselves the best chance of going up. Chris Hughton needs the right backing … it is frustrating to have to keep saying it.”

Is persuasion, cajoling, in Hughton’s armoury? And, just as importantly, does he have time for it given that he, along with Colin Calderwood and Paul Barron, is also responsible for coaching? When Shearer was briefly in charge at the end of last season, Paul Ferris undertook a necessary and comprehensive review of the whole football set-up. Did that wither on the vine when Shearer departed?

Here is some information. When Shearer arrived, he insisted that the first-team squad ate together, something he picked up from Sir Bobby Robson and something which Fabio Capello, amongst others, insists upon, too. This is not a criticism – it can’t be when results have been so self-evidently positive – but an observation: it no longer happens.

A rigorous system of fines, implemented by Shearer, is still in operation, but this column knows of one younger player who has been persistently late for training. Shearer made ice baths and extra treatment compulsory for injured players, grappling with the malingerers, and while the Newcastle squad is now too small to carry passengers, has this, too, gone away?

Shearer, meanwhile, has been consumed by the prospect of management. He has waited patiently all summer for developments, seen players he wished to keep move on and bitten his tongue. Every time either Ashley or Derek Llambias, the managing director, opened their mouths, the takeover cause was delayed further, but Shearer held firm. Now, though, he would certainly entertain other offers.

The point to all this? That Newcastle have become genuine candidates for automatic promotion is not an illusion. The team, with senior professionals assuming greater responsibility, have found something within themselves and self-motivated. They are where they are on merit and Hughton deserves enormous credit for the role he has played.

Ashley, though, warrants none. This is a man who compares his outlay on Newcastle to that of fans who repeatedly spend above their means on a club they adore, as if loyalty and affection can be measured by your bank account. He is the opposite of King Midas, a man whose every touch turns another part of Tyneside to rubble. They are where they are in spite of him. And where they are is straddling a knife-edge.

:(

No, frankly you don't.

He's got an good reputation within football as a COACH not a manager. He's failed miserably when put in the position as caretaker every time bar this time, which is in a lower division with a squad far superior almost everything else in it.

All you do by appointing him permenatly is mean someone will have to sack him eventually whether that be this season because we fail to get up, or early next season  because we start to struggle.. Then you lose the good coach you had.

There is nothing in this man's make up that suggests he can handle a manager's job, nothing, does he have a spine ? Is he charamatic ? Will he make tough decsision ? Will he stand up to the ownership on matters he regards as important ? Will he be able to tactical out master his opponents ? We he intimidate other managers, like a certain red nosed Scot ? Will he be more than a yes man for a disfunctional ownership ?

You really need to read and digest a post before replying. Most of what you have ranted there has already been said and evryone knows he is a COACH not a manager and no one really sees him as a long term appointment.

OK it's clear, you DON'T rate him. So who do you think should be our manager in the present situation ?

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/10/ashleys-lack-of-leadership-leaves-newcastle-straddling-knifeedge.html

Ashley's lack of leadership leaves Newcastle straddling knife-edge

George Caulkin

Congratulations to Chris Hughton and a bouquet of poison ivy for Mike  Ashley - at the contrary, contradictory, baffling, extraordinary club that is Newcastle United, it is possible to offer both. A team that has hovered around the summit of the Coca Cola Championship this season is simultaneously teetering on a precipice; only tortured analogies can encapsulate the chaos of Barrack Road.

To begin, a disclaimer: second-guessing Ashley's intentions is futile. Making sense of a senseless regime is impossible. But after two years of decline, five managers, Dennis Wise, relegation, cost-cutting, redundancies, admissions of deliberately misleading supporters and dunder-headed policy, we have precedent to point to and Newcastle's owner is incapable of stringing two good decisions together.

So Ashley-s offer to Hughton of a permanent contract (nothing has been signed) can be interpreted in any number of ways, from recognition that a takeover saga has drifted towards stalemate, to an attempt to embrace stability, to a puppet-master's machinations. But whatever the reason and however it fits the sportswear retailer's agenda, we already know that failure lies at the heart of his governance.

On a facile, immediate level, Hughtons appointment would carry logic with it. He, like his players, has done a fine job under testing circumstances, reacting to demotion with principle, fortitude and the avoidance of hysteria. He is a sound coach who gives little away in public too little, if anything who is well-liked by a first-team squad which has been pared back to the bone.

To judge from Newcastles lurches into crisis, you would think that St James Park sits on seismic fault-lines and at least Hughton offers continuity. We should not forget that as recently as two months ago, Newcastle were incredibly - talking to both Joe Kinnear and David OLeary. Where Ashley is concerned, things can always get worse and perhaps fan can console themselves with minor mercies.

There is a connected argument, too. How reasonable is it to expect a team and coaching staff to function efficiently under temporary leadership, when nobody knows if tomorrow will bring new ownership or management? As the campaign has matured and amid largely positive results this is written before Scunthorpe United such short-termism cannot be sustainable.

In spite of his earlier enthusiasm (we know now that nothing said by his regime can be taken at face value), Ashleys refusal to name Alan Shearer as manager was because he did not want Newcastles next custodians ha! - to be encumbered with someone elses man. And he stated in the Sunday Times at the weekend that he would elevate Hughton if he could not sell the club.

Fans can draw their own conclusions - the mood feels leaden - but it would be premature to take a wrecking ball to Barry Moats hopes of unseating Ashley. There are obvious conflicts about the structure of payments and Ashley is clearly not convinced about Moats financial wherewithal, but a formal offer has been made and negotiations have not yet broken off.

Those close to the deal retain the gut feeling that Ashley is a seller. In other words, he wants out. Nothing more has been heard from a South African consortium, but Seymour Pierce, the investment bank, are still engaged to sell Newcastle. As things stand, it would not be incompatible for Hughton to be offered a contract until the end of the season and for the club to remain on the market.

Wishful thinking, perhaps, although under Ashley there is scope for nothing else; no rationale or substance to base theories on and precious little communication. There is only blind hope. And once you delve beyond the league table, the victories, the spirit of the side best not mention Nottingham Forest there are significant issues regarding the Hughton scenario and what, feasibly, it might entail.

Where is the strategy on Tyneside? Who, to paraphrase that renowned political genius George W. Bush (and, yes, that was sarcastic), are the deciders? Who determines the things that are not just about daily training sessions, team selections and tactics, which will affect the club for months down the line? Scouting, player identification, sports science and medicine are not seat-of-the-pants operations.

A couple of months ago, Steve Bruce was already making plans for Sunderlands next pre-season, for possible opponents and training camps. That might not appear the most earth-shattering issue, but are similar things being examined on Gallowgate? Niall Quinn has said that a cornerstone of his leadership is about looking at the transfer window after the next one. Newcastle, meanwhile, are asleep at the wheel.

This is what Kevin Nolan, the midfield player, said in the Newcastle Journal on Monday. We need to strengthen. Weve been saying this for a long, long time and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. We need to strengthen the squad if we are going to give ourselves the best chance of going up. Chris Hughton needs the right backing it is frustrating to have to keep saying it.

Is persuasion, cajoling, in Hughtons armoury? And, just as importantly, does he have time for it given that he, along with Colin Calderwood and Paul Barron, is also responsible for coaching? When Shearer was briefly in charge at the end of last season, Paul Ferris undertook a necessary and comprehensive review of the whole football set-up. Did that wither on the vine when Shearer departed?

Here is some information. When Shearer arrived, he insisted that the first-team squad ate together, something he picked up from Sir Bobby Robson and something which Fabio Capello, amongst others, insists upon, too. This is not a criticism it cant be when results have been so self-evidently positive but an observation: it no longer happens.

A rigorous system of fines, implemented by Shearer, is still in operation, but this column knows of one younger player who has been persistently late for training. Shearer made ice baths and extra treatment compulsory for injured players, grappling with the malingerers, and while the Newcastle squad is now too small to carry passengers, has this, too, gone away?

Shearer, meanwhile, has been consumed by the prospect of management. He has waited patiently all summer for developments, seen players he wished to keep move on and bitten his tongue. Every time either Ashley or Derek Llambias, the managing director, opened their mouths, the takeover cause was delayed further, but Shearer held firm. Now, though, he would certainly entertain other offers.

The point to all this? That Newcastle have become genuine candidates for automatic promotion is not an illusion. The team, with senior professionals assuming greater responsibility, have found something within themselves and self-motivated. They are where they are on merit and Hughton deserves enormous credit for the role he has played.

Ashley, though, warrants none. This is a man who compares his outlay on Newcastle to that of fans who repeatedly spend above their means on a club they adore, as if loyalty and affection can be measured by your bank account. He is the opposite of King Midas, a man whose every touch turns another part of Tyneside to rubble. They are where they are in spite of him. And where they are is straddling a knife-edge.

:(

Excellent article.

The point about a strong scouting and coaching operation and an eye on future transfer windows etc is probably a lot more pertinent than who is manager right now.