Chris Hughton

Keefaz

I'm almost certain Hughton won at West Brom. (also tbf, Hughton was around during the most insanely chaotic parts of our insanely chaotic season) Pretty sure Shearer won 1 in 8 last year as well.

The whole of last season after Arsenal away was insanely chaotic and if you want to give Hughton the West Brom game then he won 1 in 9 and drew 2.

Shearer won 1 in 8 and drew 2, not that I'm trying to big his results up anyway.

I'm almost certain Hughton won at West Brom. (also tbf, Hughton was around during the most insanely chaotic parts of our insanely chaotic season) Pretty sure Shearer won 1 in 8 last year as well.

The whole of last season after Arsenal away was insanely chaotic and if you want to give Hughton the West Brom game then he won 1 in 9 and drew 2.

Shearer won 1 in 8 and drew 2, not that I'm trying to big his results up anyway.

Points taken man, and no one deserves to have anything "bigged" from that awful season. I said that about Hughton because he had to manage us in the crazy aftermath of the Keegan quitting/Fans protesting/Ashley deciding to sell games before Kinnear. Also, he had to come in when our manager had a heart attack.

Hughton did drop Owen in his final game in charge. Shearer immediately restored him for 4 games, which was a costly error.

Hughton also faced down Barton at the start of the season. They had some kind of a row, I seem to remember.

I'm not sure whether Shearer comes ahead of Hughton in terms of his record last season, but if so there's hardly anything in it. The point was that Shearer was cut an awful lot more slack by most fans.

I forgot about Owen getting dropped and can't remember him facing down Barton and as I've said I'm not trying to make Shearer out to be anything better than he was.  We'll never know if he would have been given more slack or not, I don't see why he should but he probably would have.

Everyone has to manage their own way. Even with half the team out, we're still top of the league, so Hughton must be doing something right.

Let's also bear in mind that Shearer won 1 out of 8, and we failed to score in 6 of those 8. He was still very much on the learning curve.

I wonder if Hughton would have had the balls to drop Owen or to take on Joey Barton?  I doubt it.  At least Shearer didn't pick by reputation. 

Also, we were playing in a much tougher league last season.  I'm sure Hughton had a record last season which read 8 games played, 6 games lost, 2 drawn and didn't look as if he'd get a win in that division if we played 100 games under him, he had a worse record than Shearer.

Hughton did drop Owen in his final game in charge. Shearer immediately restored him for 4 games, which was a costly error.

Hughton also faced down Barton at the start of the season. They had some kind of a row, I seem to remember.

I'm not sure whether Shearer comes ahead of Hughton in terms of his record last season, but if so there's hardly anything in it. The point was that Shearer was cut an awful lot more slack by most fans.

8 games where we were as good as down is not right to judge Shearer on.

He may not be a better manager, but he needs a proper chance before he's written off.

Points taken man, and no one deserves to have anything "bigged" from that awful season. I said that about Hughton because he had to manage us in the crazy aftermath of the Keegan quitting/Fans protesting/Ashley deciding to sell games before Kinnear. Also, he had to come in when our manager had a heart attack.

I hope he works out for us because he has had more shit to put up with than most managers get in a life time.

Everyone has to manage their own way. Even with half the team out, we're still top of the league, so Hughton must be doing something right.

Let's also bear in mind that Shearer won 1 out of 8, and we failed to score in 6 of those 8. He was still very much on the learning curve.

I wonder if Hughton would have had the balls to drop Owen or to take on Joey Barton?  I doubt it.  At least Shearer didn't pick by reputation. 

Also, we were playing in a much tougher league last season.  I'm sure Hughton had a record last season which read 8 games played, 6 games lost, 2 drawn and didn't look as if he'd get a win in that division if we played 100 games under him, he had a worse record than Shearer.

He may not be a better manager, but he needs a proper chance before he's written off.

Shearer has potential and I certainly wouldn't write him off.

I can't agree that we were as good as down though. Hull were in free fall. One more point, and in fact one goal in the last two games would have done it. We had a good chance of escaping and failed to take it.

appointing shearer was yet another of Ashley's stupid mistakes. He may well be a good manager in the future but what we needed at that point was someone with experience who knew what they were doing, not someone who had never managed a single game before. the learning curve was just too steep.

Appointing Shearer manager in the Championship on the other hand would've been about continuity, appointing someone who isnt a yes man, someone who knew roughly what was wrong, someone who wanted to revitalise the club top to bottom, from scouting to medical staff and someone who had the clout and the ruthlessness to do it. Hughton's not that man. he's been in coaching for 2 decades and been caretaker something like 7 times yet has never shown any real aptitude or hunger for the role.

Shearer has potential and I certainly wouldn't write him off.

I can't agree that we were as good as down though. Hull were in free fall. One more point, and in fact one goal in the last two games would have done it. We had a good chance of escaping and failed to take it.

But is that really Shearer's fault? Of course he has to take some of the blame, but at the same time the reason we went down is for the sack of shit we had on the pitch. It was down to them and missed chances.

appointing shearer was yet another of Ashley's stupid mistakes. He may well be a good manager in the future but what we needed at that point was someone with experience who knew what they were doing, not someone who had never managed a single game before. the learning curve was just too steep.

Appointing Shearer manager in the Championship on the other hand would've been about continuity, appointing someone who isnt a yes man, someone who knew roughly what was wrong, someone who wanted to revitalise the club top to bottom, from scouting to medical staff and someone who had the clout and the ruthlessness to do it. Hughton's not that man. he's been in coaching for 2 decades and been caretaker something like 7 times yet has never shown any real aptitude or hunger for the role.

Many would think hes doing that right now.

He has us above the two other relegated sides who both had/have full time managers. He's hardly doing much damage to any potential career as a manager.

He has us above the two other relegated sides who both had/have full time managers. He's hardly doing much damage to any potential career as a manager.

Chris Hughton not a yes man? I've heard it all now :lol:

i think he is doing well because this league is shit and because we have better players than the other sides. we haven't even played good football or dominated sides, ie signs of a good manager, we've just managed to have more end product.

you have to appoint for the long-term and Hughton just isn't the answer. if he took us up he'd do crap in the premiership.

Oh, and on the 'we're top of the table' argument, in the immortal words of the Middlesbrough chairman...

When I sat down and considered our start to the season, I felt that the league table was actually more favourable than some of our performances.

i think he is doing well because this league is s*** and because we have better players than the other sides. we haven't even played good football or dominated sides, ie signs of a good manager, we've just managed to have more end product.

you have to appoint for the long-term and Hughton just isn't the answer. if he took us up he'd do crap in the premiership.

Yes but its debatable isnt it. We didnt have better players than them for the last few games, which shows how easily they can be woeful once again even in this league. That suggests that he had previously been getting some better football out of them & that it wasnt simply the minimum of what they were capable of. They're clearly capable of far worse. Which means he is atleast getting a certain decent level of performance out of them.

i think he is doing well because this league is s*** and because we have better players than the other sides. we haven't even played good football or dominated sides, ie signs of a good manager, we've just managed to have more end product.

then who would you have? and end product is all that really matters at the end of the day, good football is all well and good but only when you have the players capable of doing so, we don't and that can't be put down to hughton thats ashley. With our situation with off field matters etc and the thin make up of our squad particularily in certain positions hughton has done really well to get us to where we are

I just find it strange that Hughton was to be appointed on Tuesday, then Friday, then after the game yesterday. But there he is, still hanging about waiting for Llambias to find a pen. Looks to me like they are stringing him along until Moat finally finds the dosh. Except they haven't told him their devious little plan.

I just find it strange that Hughton was to be appointed on Tuesday, then Friday, then after the game yesterday. But there he is, still hanging about waiting for Llambias to find a pen. Looks to me like they are stringing him along until Moat finally finds the dosh. Except they haven't told him their devious little plan.

seems charles sale in the mail agrees, I'm not sure mike ashley knows what the hell is going to happen next

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1222962/Charles-Sale-Newcastle-owner-Mike-Ashley-dithers-80m-sale-Barry-Moat.html?ITO=1490

They've done it with the sale of the club, so it should be no surprise.

In the Shearer V Hughton statistics debate, the really salient points are :-

Hughton = short contract at £300K pa

Shearer = long contract at £3M pa

Club (eventually) sold to new owner who wishes to appoint own manager :-

Hughton fired = no big deal

Shearer fired = huge payout and Keegangate mark 2

Hughton being "upgraded" to manager is no risk and even isn't an appointment as much as a statement that no real appointment will be made until the club is sold.

As Blefuscu said earlier it all adds up to nothing different to what's being happening since the end of last season.

So deal agree'd till end of season with a 1 year extra option

Chris Hughton proud to take up United job

Oct 26 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

impending appointment as Newcastle United’s permanent manager as one of the greatest moments of his life after the Magpies scraped a 2-1 win over Doncaster Rovers.

Hughton has all but agreed a contract until the end of the season with the option of another year if Mike Ashley has still not managed to sell the club, and will sign it this week following a brief delay in getting the paperwork done last week.

As revealed in The Journal on Friday, Ashley – who has broken off negotiations with an American consortium fronted by Geoff Sheard – will not take the club off the market at this stage, although a new round of talks with Barry Moat over the weekend has not broken the deadlock.

Sources close to the deal have once again claimed those talks will continue at the start of this week, although the club insisted last night they had no comment to make regarding any progress in the discussions with Moat – who sat in front of Ashley in the directors’ box at St James’s Park on Saturday.

In the meantime, Hughton (right), who was the first black player to represent the Republic of Ireland, will continue to work towards promotion after Kevin Nolan’s injury-time winner brought the Magpies their first win in five games at the end of another disjointed performance against Doncaster.

He said: “I am massively proud. I spent a long time at Spurs, which is a great football club, and this is a great football club. How many teams are going to play Doncaster, with respect to Doncaster, and have 43,000?

“I’m pretty confident that, if we manage to stay at the right end of the table, we will be approaching a full house this season.

“This club gets under your skin massively, the club and the people. I’ve had great responses from everybody from day one, even in the difficult periods.

“I know the way I’m perceived possibly changes when I become full-time manager and there will be a little bit more pressure, but it will be an incredibly proud moment for me – as proud as any other moment in my career.

“My priority has been to get these games out of the way. There is an offer there and I want to be manager of this football club. I expect it to be done in days. I’m quite sure it will be done.”

Hughton’s appointment has divided opinion. Although the vast majority of fans would have preferred to see Alan Shearer as manager, they recognise Hughton has made the best out of a difficult situation.

Nevertheless, the former Spurs man desperately needed a win against Doncaster, and he admitted his team had been fortuitous to get it after the away team missed a second-half penalty and the home side had ended the contest with ten men following Zurab Khizanishvili’s controversial sending-off.

He said: “I thought we deserved it overall. I know they missed a penalty, but there is no better feeling than when you come from behind and score a goal in the last moments when down to ten men.

“We’ve gone through all the emotions. The first-half performance wasn’t good and they scored with their only chance. They were good in possession and always threatened.

“Andy (Carroll) missed a chance he would have put away nine times out of ten and you possibly think it’s not going to be your day. Then you get a goal and think you will go on to win the game.

“Then came the penalty and it’s not going to be your day, a sending-off and it’s not our day – but it was our day in the end and we needed that.”

Hughton again praised the spirit in the United camp as he promised to appeal against Khizanishvili’s dismissal for grabbing Billy Sharp around the neck as he shoved Tamas Kadar.

Hughton added: “The sense of unity in the squad is something I’ve encouraged.

“We know we’ve got quality in the squad and we’ve tweaked it occasionally, but they’ve worked very hard on the spirit and I think that shows when you get a winner as late as we did.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/10/26/chris-hughton-proud-to-take-up-united-job-61634-25013141/

The prospect of being in the Premier League with next to no new signings and Hughton as manager is fucking scary.

Relegation writted alover it

Hopefully Portsmouth will go into admin or something, so we at least wont get the record for the lowest amount of points.

"In the first half Doncaster played a good tactical game, but they will keep possession against any team"

- Chris Hughton

:jesuswept:

I read that and couldn't believe he'd said it.

The idea is to keep the players positive and motivated. Its his job to make up random bs specifically so they keep self belief. If he came out constantly with.....ok you just got outplayed by scunthorpe..........ok forest just dominated you sacks of s***............ok..you should have lost to doncaster there ive no idea htf u lot are top of the league. You think that great amount of honest realism is going to turn them into match winners suddenly?

I cant really remember any managers properly slating their players performances and that producing a miraculous turn of form. Normally it becomes a circle of consistant slating & consistantly crap performances. See Roy Keane.

I didn't say at any point that Hughton should be slating the team's performances though. I just don't think it's necessary to over-hype the opposition with comments like Doncaster "will keep possession against any team". You boost the morale of your own team by lavishing admiration on them not the opposition.