Chris Hughton

Keefaz

According to the Times, Hughton's contract will not be extended, he's got until the end of next season on his current one, and that will probably be changed to reflect he's the manager.

Which ultimately is no big deal, despite the hysterics coming from NUFC.com and others.

With the continuing impasse regarding the sale of the club, it probably offers Hughton the respect he deserves while not tying down any untried or long contract expensive manager who would take a further chunk of wedge away should a future owner not want them.

What makes you think that our present state of uncertainty is temporary and we are just waiting for a new owner to come in, so lets not appoint a manager of any credibility so he doesn't have to sack him ?

Need I remind you, that we've been in this uncertain position for well over a year now and there's still no light at the end of the tunnel.

We are stuck with Ashley's ridiculous ownership, the least we can hope for is that he appoints people with some sort of clue around him.

This club could fall a lot further, we haven't bottomed yet.

No, frankly you don't.

I know about as much as anyone else right now i.e. very little, hence the theoretical tone of my post.  You seem to know. Please enlighten us.

What is fairly clear is that no one SERIOUS is remotely interested in buying Newcastle, and honestly who can blame them.

A small point about Hughton. You may not think he has "any credibility" but he is very well thought of in football, and getting the start he has out of the team despite the ongoing uncertanties will only have enhanced his stock.

I don't think anyone wants him as long term manager, but to dismiss him as lacking credibility is mis-informed at best and malicious at worst.

He's got an good reputation within football as a COACH not a manager. He's failed miserably when put in the position as caretaker every time bar this time, which is in a lower division with a squad far superior almost everything else in it.

All you do by appointing him permenatly is mean someone will have to sack him eventually whether that be this season because we fail to get up, or early next season  because we start to struggle.. Then you lose the good coach you had.

There is nothing in this man's make up that suggests he can handle a manager's job, nothing, does he have a spine ? Is he charamatic ? Will he make tough decsision ? Will he stand up to the ownership on matters he regards as important ? Will he be able to tactical out master his opponents ? We he intimidate other managers, like a certain red nosed Scot ? Will he be more than a yes man for a disfunctional ownership ?

You really need to read and digest a post before replying. Most of what you have ranted there has already been said and evryone knows he is a COACH not a manager and no one really sees him as a long term appointment.

OK it's clear, you DON'T rate him. So who do you think should be our manager in the present situation ?

WTF are you going on about ? I'm reply to your point. Isn't that not what debates are supposed to be ?

In terms of manager's I would take practically anyone above Hughton tbh, Curbs for example would be an excellent appointment or he could show some balls and appoint Shearer. Ashley's appointing a yes man he knows he can control, and offers him a buffer zone between the fans.

I think Dave made an excellent point earlier on in this thread, that just because Ashley's ownership is dicating direction here, doesn't mean we have to be accepting or happy about it.

I'f you'd have told me in June that come Scunthorpe in October the defence would consist of Zurab Kihzanishvilli and Danny Simpson with a central midfield of Smith and Geremi.....

f*** the other 3, if you'd said Geremi in central midfield..........................

Fuck that. If you'd said that we'd be relying upon the tactical masterstroke of Chris Hughton to get us promoted....

Guest sicko2ndbest

To all those people peddling the hughtons done enough to warrant the job campaign it's time to wake up and smell the nescafe. The man is a puppet master of the highest order and the right arm of the infidel running our club. Way out of his depth I predict a very difficult period for us should he continue to be manager

The biggest criticism I have is that Hughton didn't address the problem of lack of width in midfield. Everywhere else we have got options, but we end up shoe-horning central midfielders out wide because we don't have any natural options. We can moan about his selections all we like, but it doesn't matter which combination we try, they all fail to produce on the pitch.

The biggest criticism I have is that Hughton didn't address the problem of lack of width in midfield. Everywhere else we have got options, but we end up shoe-horning central midfielders out wide because we don't have any natural options. We can moan about his selections all we like, but it doesn't matter which combination we try, they all fail to produce on the pitch.

Hughton isn't really up to the job. He should be thanked for his efforts anyways, but he (and the team) are being found out now - BIG TIME.

Hughton isn't really up to the job. He should be thanked for his efforts anyways, but he (and the team) are being found out now - BIG TIME.

The players probably think, wtf we'll all be sold anyway in January, so why bother? And they will know they can walk all over Hughton, and they probably are (sounds like it accordin to Caulkin's article).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1221646/Northern-Exposure-Newcastle-fans-want-promotion-far-want-Alan-Shearer-Mike-Ashley-out.html

From the link above:

"As caretaker, Hughton has done a fine job, so the change of title will change little in the dressing room. The senior players will continue to have their say, and will continue to play and Hughton will just pray they all stay fit.

But with the title manager comes come responsibility and while no one can question Hughton's reputation as one of football's nice guys, his press conferences have become pointless and often laughable exercises in proclaiming absolutely nothing. Newcastle supporters demand more from their manager.

Because he was the caretaker and because he could blame those above or around him for making most of the decisions at the club, Hughton has been able to deflect any query with the kind of straight batting which even Geoffrey Boycott would have struggled to match in his pomp.

No one in football is more skilled in saying 'I don't know' (or I do but I don't want to tell you) in so many different ways. He can't do that anymore if he is the manager.

Even his repeated lack of accuracy surrounding injuries has been overlooked but it is a remarkable coincidence that when Shola Ameobi, Joey Barton and Steven Taylor were first injured Hughton said they might be back within days.

In fact in each case it will be closer to months. Such things may not matter when you are the caretaker but he will be under greater scrutiny now in every aspect of the job. Not least the results."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1221646/Northern-Exposure-Newcastle-fans-want-promotion-far-want-Alan-Shearer-Mike-Ashley-out.html

From the link above:

"As caretaker, Hughton has done a fine job, so the change of title will change little in the dressing room. The senior players will continue to have their say, and will continue to play and Hughton will just pray they all stay fit.

But with the title manager comes come responsibility and while no one can question Hughton's reputation as one of football's nice guys, his press conferences have become pointless and often laughable exercises in proclaiming absolutely nothing. Newcastle supporters demand more from their manager.

Because he was the caretaker and because he could blame those above or around him for making most of the decisions at the club, Hughton has been able to deflect any query with the kind of straight batting which even Geoffrey Boycott would have struggled to match in his pomp.

No one in football is more skilled in saying 'I don't know' (or I do but I don't want to tell you) in so many different ways. He can't do that anymore if he is the manager.

Even his repeated lack of accuracy surrounding injuries has been overlooked but it is a remarkable coincidence that when Shola Ameobi, Joey Barton and Steven Taylor were first injured Hughton said they might be back within days.

In fact in each case it will be closer to months. Such things may not matter when you are the caretaker but he will be under greater scrutiny now in every aspect of the job. Not least the results."

From the same link

To his absolute credit, amid all the chaos which has engulfed the club since relegation, Hughton has somehow galvanised the few players he had left. He has seen players restore reputations - as they should in this division - and Newcastle are where they should be.

But injuries have started to take their toll, and despite adding three players on loan and signing Peter Lovenkrands, the Newcastle squad is already looking fragile, with Ameobi, Taylor and Barton all out for at least another month, and carrying injuries which will need time and patience.

Hughton has been telling his employers for weeks that he needs reinforcements and he has contacts to added much-needed experience.

To sum up - the article contradicts itself and it's typical daily mail shite. Why people read this trash is beyond me the sport has more truth in it

When I sat down and considered our start to the season, I felt that the league table was actually more favourable than some of our performances.

Bet that quote has Ashley scratching his head.

When I sat down and considered our start to the season, I felt that the league table was actually more favourable than some of our performances.

Bet that quote has Ashley scratching his head.

And half of the 'non-kneejerkers' on this forum

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5644530,00.html

Newcastle caretaker manager Chris Hughton hopes to take over on a permanent basis after the weekend.

The former Spurs assistant boss revealed earlier in the week that he had been offered the Magpies post, after acting as caretaker at St James' Park since 1st July, with ongoing talks expected to be concluded after Saturday's game against Doncaster.

Newcastle have suffered two successive defeats in the Championship, at the hands of Nottingham Forest and Scunthorpe, but Hughton insists the double setback would have no influence on negotiations.

"The objective at the start of the season was to get this club promotion, and that hasn't changed," he said.

"Talks are ongoing, but from both parties' points of view, they want me to be the manager and I want to be the manager here."

Hughton was also full of praise for sacked Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate, although he admitted that he was not surprised with his departure.

"There are certainly no surprises in this game," he added.

"Gareth is a manager who has served the club very, very well. He's a wonderful football person and I'm quite sure it will not be long before he is plying his trade back in management.

"But there aren't too many surprises these days."