Chris Hughton

Keefaz

The prospect of being in the Premier League with next to no new signings and Hughton as manager is fucking scary.

Relegation writted alover it

Hopefully Portsmouth will go into admin or something, so we at least wont get the record for the lowest amount of points.

We must be the only set of supporters in the country that are dreading the prospect of promotion.

I didn't say at any point that Hughton should be slating the team's performances though. I just don't think it's necessary to over-hype the opposition with comments like Doncaster "will keep possession against any team". You boost the morale of your own team by lavishing admiration on them not the opposition.

Well you cant lavish much praise on them when they do badly, so you have to go the other way. He does both, it comes across a bit laughably with doncaster i agree. The issue though isnt him saying silly things its whether he actually thinks that to the extent that it comes across. I doubt it, the guys not a moron even if he doesnt always come out with the best lines.

It is a ridiculous situation that Ashley has allowed to happen.  He says he cannot appoint a proper manager because he might sell the club at any time.  He has been trying to sell it for over a year - probably over 2 years ie. since the day he bought it if we believe the newspapers - but there has been very little interest.  If we get promoted how much more will he then want?  I would have thought that if there was genuine interest by people that had the finances that now was the time to buy us because they would have the opportunity to prepare for promotion and get the structure in place and start scouting for premier league players etc.  If Ashley waits until the end of the season, no doubt there will be several months of inactivity as he waits to see what happens and then it will be too late for new owners to do anything other than wait for the inevitable relegation.

Now that he has allowed this situation to arise he has a problem in that no credible manager would work for Ashley.  His unpredictability causes instablity, he undermines his managers (with the exception of Kinnear) and the on-off sale of the club means that potential managers would be concerned about how long they would get at the club and would want contracts to reflect that.

I am depressed by the thought of Hughton as manager but there is no other option really so I just hope that the club is either sold very soon or he actually surprises us all and turns out to be a decent manager.

As Blefuscu said earlier it all adds up to nothing different to what's being happening since the end of last season.

In which case why do it?

Can he only be caretaker for a certain amount of time? Im sure there was something about a time limit for Roeder?

As Blefuscu said earlier it all adds up to nothing different to what's being happening since the end of last season.

In which case why do it?

Can he only be caretaker for a certain amount of time? Im sure there was something about a time limit for Roeder?

That was because he didnt have his eufa Pro License

Wouldn't surprise me if Ashley isn't threatening to make Hughton boss as a barganing tool to force Moat's hand into upping his offer. It's the sort of low tactic he's quite capable of pulling.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ashley isn't threatening to make Hughton boss as a barganing tool to force Moat's hand into upping his offer. It's the sort of low tactic he's quite capable of pulling.

More likely he's decided that there's very little prospect of selling the club this season, and the manager's position needs to be settled at least until next year.

Potential buyers aren't willing to take the risk on a Championship club with a high wage bill. If we're promoted, they've got a bargain, but if not, then they'd have to bear a loss.

Guest toonlass

More likely he's decided that there's very little prospect of selling the club this season, and the manager's position needs to be settled at least until next year.

Potential buyers aren't willing to take the risk on a Championship club with a high wage bill. If we're promoted, they've got a bargain, but if not, then they'd have to bear a loss.

Why does it need to be settled? Hughton is doing ok as he is, why does anything need to change if the club is not sold? Leave him in the caretaker role.

So, Houghton is hired as manager. Then, say, 3 months later we (miraculously) find a buyer. Then what? No ones going to want Houghton in charge of the gaff, someone like Shearer will be appointed.

So that means more change at the club and more disruption, even if it will be a positive (hopefully) move. Really not ideal having Houghton on a permanent deal...

So, Houghton is hired as manager. Then, say, 3 months later we (miraculously) find a buyer. Then what? No ones going to want Houghton in charge of the gaff, someone like Shearer will be appointed.

So that means more change at the club and more disruption, even if it will be a positive (hopefully) move. Really not ideal having Houghton on a permanent deal...

HUghton.

HUghton.

Whateva.. :angel:

Quite, I wonder how Hughton will feel if Moat takes over and he's paid off (cheap for Moat anyway).  Ashley probably thinks it will sour Shearer to the fans as well if Hughton is turfed out while we''re at the top of the League.

Why does it need to be settled? Hughton is doing ok as he is, why does anything need to change if the club is not sold? Leave him in the caretaker role.

I know what you mean, but it gives everyone the message that change is not imminent and the owner is planning for the status quo to remain for the rest of the season. It's also a vote of confidence in Hughton and, indirectly, the players.

It's also only fair that if he's doing a manager's job, that he gets recognition for it.

problem is the status quo is only good as long as nothing changes - if our promotion push goes down to the wire i don't think hughton's got the mettle to push us over the finishing line. that's assuming he does well enough to keep us in with a shout in the first place. this entire situation has been brought about by inaction, by the limbo in the boardroom. appointing hughton is a continuation of this theme and it saw us relegated last season. as we now know you cant run a club on the bare minimum. ashley needs to man up and accept that fact that no one wants to buy and, until they do, he has to run the club as if he was going to be here for another 5 years. lurching from one crisis to the next in the hope that he can sell in 6 months time is doing us no favours. unfortunately Ashley has neither the intelligence or the guts to do this.

I know what you mean, but it gives everyone the message that change is not imminent and the owner is planning for the status quo to remain for the rest of the season. It's also a vote of confidence in Hughton and, indirectly, the players.

It's also only fair that if he's doing a manager's job, that he gets recognition for it.

Of course why didn't we think of that, we have to realise how Ashley is such a sensible and erudite thinker, and how he always aims to do the good and correct thing.

problem is the status quo is only good as long as nothing changes - if our promotion push goes down to the wire i don't think hughton's got the mettle to push us over the finishing line. that's assuming he does well enough to keep us in with a shout in the first place. this entire situation has been brought about by inaction, by the limbo in the boardroom. appointing hughton is a continuation of this theme and it saw us relegated last season. as we now know you cant run a club on the bare minimum. ashley needs to man up and accept that fact that no one wants to buy and, until they do, he has to run the club as if he was going to be here for another 5 years. lurching from one crisis to the next in the hope that he can sell in 6 months time is doing us no favours. unfortunately Ashley has neither the intelligence or the guts to do this.

Sums it up quite nicely..

That does sum it up nicely. Of course the fans singing 'get out of our club' every match is just adding to the utter direness of the situation.

He is never going to 'run the club as if he was going to be here for another 5 years' though, whilst the fans feel the way they do.

I think he over-estimated the negativity towards him for relegation. However, once he went down the route of not-appointing Shearer, its not clear now whether this was because he wanted to keep or sell the club. On the basis of what we have seen since, both are equally likely.

I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you a) suggesting that he should abandon the attempt to sell the club, or b) not abandon the attempt to sell, but act as if he has?

I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you a) suggesting that he should abandon the attempt to sell the club, or b) not abandon the attempt to sell, but act as if he has?

If he can't sell the club he has to do B. put the idea of selling on the back burner and try to turn the club into something attractive to potential buyers, in other words re-establish us in the premiership. Regardless of what is going on in the background he has to get serious and stop pissing about. If he doesn't that will be at least 2 years of the club being ran on an 'interim' basis. if someone comes in and wants to buy then great, but he can't continue to ignore the football club in the meantime. what he has done would be the equivalent of Hicks and Gillett running liverpool on the bare minimum for a few years until they can sell to the dubai consortium. Birmingham had some instability when Yueng wanted to buy two years ago but even they went out and got a proper manager signed up instead of making do with a caretaker.

Unfortunately Ashley's philosophy since the day he came in has been to try and generate money by cutting costs but it's sadly had the knock on effect of damaging performances and making the business less efficient and less attractive to its consumers and potential investors.

If he can't sell the club he has to do B. put the idea of selling on the back burner and try to turn the club into something attractive to potential buyers, in other words re-establish us in the premiership. Regardless of what is going on in the background he has to get serious and stop pissing about. If he doesn't that will be at least 2 years of the club being ran on an 'interim' basis. if someone comes in and wants to buy then great, but he can't continue to ignore the football club in the meantime. what he has done would be the equivalent of Hicks and Gillett running liverpool on the bare minimum for a few years until they can sell to the dubai consortium. Birmingham had some instability when Yueng wanted to buy two years ago but even they went out and got a proper manager signed up instead of making do with a caretaker.

Unfortunately Ashley's philosophy since the day he came in has been to try and generate money by cutting costs but it's sadly had the knock on effect of damaging performances and making the business less efficient and less attractive to its consumers and potential investors.

I'm not convinced that simply making the club more attractive to a buyer is in itself a viable longer-term strategy. If he's going to be in it for the long-term, then he has to mean it and present a convincing picture of his commitment to the players and manager who he's hoping to attract. If deep down, he's faking it, I'm not sure it'll work.

Of course, he then has to face the problem of the large number of fans who want him out because of the Keegan issue and later the subsequent relegation. That was what drove him to sell in the first place. Whether things have quietened down enough I don't know. If he announces he's not selling, it may all erupt again.

I'm not convinced that simply making the club more attractive to a buyer is in itself a viable longer-term strategy. If he's going to be in it for the long-term, then he has to mean it and present a convincing picture of his commitment to the players and manager who he's hoping to attract. If deep down, he's faking it, I'm not sure it'll work.

Of course, he then has to face the problem of the large number of fans who want him out because of the Keegan issue and later the subsequent relegation. That was what drove him to sell in the first place. Whether things have quietened down enough I don't know. If he announces he's not selling, it may all erupt again.

It's not worked so far has it? As for the fans erupting, there has been plenty of opportunities for Ashley to make a fresh start and he's consistently fucked up. Even after relegation there has been no attempt at re-building properly by appointing a proper manager like Steve Gibson has done at Middlesbrough. Constantly taking us on and off the market has served to do nothing but de-stabilise the club and a few decent results will only mask that for so long.

Guest johnson293

Just saw something on SSN by David Craig...nee idea what it was as I'm still asleep.

Saw that - he was commenting on the latest sale report about Ashley rejecting the moat bid. Claims neither side are making any comment about it (the report)