Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Newcastle - 22/08/09 - post match reaction from page 20

Dave

:idiot2:

Yeah, I guess I could have put it like that and saved myself some typing.

Well unless you think the Chuck Norris stuff for Shola and the Nile Ranger ridiculousness is sincere I can't remember anyone on this forum seriously claiming any of our players are 'class footballing geniuses' for, well, years.

They've got a lot of 'they're fucking shite', but that tends to happen when you get relegated.

Sorry, I didn't think it necessary to add a disclaimer that I was exaggerating for comic-effect and that the words I'd enclosed in quotation-marks weren't necessarily actual direct-quotes. I was obviously wrong, I'll remember for the next time. O0

:lol:

You would've thought David would be able to interpret text-based communication by now, given that it literally consumes 85% of his life.

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?t=189633

Post match on the Palace forums. Satisfying to read comments like:

"Today looked like a team that will finish mid table playing a team that will finish top 2. No grumbles with the result, they were class at times and took their chances, unlike us."

Hope we keep this up.

They all seem to think Smith was superb today. Promising.

Most encouraging thing for me is that for several games in a row now, fans from the opposition teams who have been in this league for some years have all stated that our current first team is basically a top rate Championship side.

Although sales may well happen between now and the end of the month, there is the hope that if they don't happen, a few more bodies come in, and a decent manager is appointed, we really will be strong contenders for automatic promotion.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harper - 8- Did well today, looked solid and took the pressure of the defence a couple of times by clearing the ball from corners.

Simpson - 7 - Solid performance but lacks match fitness

Coloccini - 7 - A much improved performance today, but still room for improvement. Made a few mistakes but nothing costly.

Taylor - 7 - Solid performance, a few minor mistakes.

Enrique -9- Excellent performance. He got forward well and linked up with Gutierrez well, and defensively was strong and solid.

R. Taylor - 7 - Decent performance overall and great goal

Nolan - 6 - Looked unfit (Again) and was quite sloppy in possession. Finished his goal well though.

Smith - 9 - Superb game from Smith. He worked hard, closed down and battled all day. He didn't go into many stupid sliding tackles today and played well.

Guthrie - 8 - He looked good but lacks match fitness. Was quick and creative in the first half, but a lack of match fitness made him go a bit invisible in the second period.

Jonas - 8 - Played well, assisting both goals. He also linked up with Jose Enrique well

Shola - 8 - Again gave a good performance. Solid hold up play and all round gave a good performance

:idiot2:

Yeah, I guess I could have put it like that and saved myself some typing.

Well unless you think the Chuck Norris stuff for Shola and the Nile Ranger ridiculousness is sincere I can't remember anyone on this forum seriously claiming any of our players are 'class footballing geniuses' for, well, years.

They've got a lot of 'they're fucking shite', but that tends to happen when you get relegated.

Sorry, I didn't think it necessary to add a disclaimer that I was exaggerating for comic-effect and that the words I'd enclosed in quotation-marks weren't necessarily actual direct-quotes. I was obviously wrong, I'll remember for the next time. O0

:lol:

You would've thought David would be able to interpret text-based communication by now, given that it literally consumes 85% of his life.

About 2% more than in your life. :lol:

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?t=189633

Post match on the Palace forums. Satisfying to read comments like:

"Today looked like a team that will finish mid table playing a team that will finish top 2. No grumbles with the result, they were class at times and took their chances, unlike us."

Hope we keep this up.

It's nice to see comments like that, I've had a look at two Palace sites today and both have been very generous when talking about us, not bitter at all. Is it me or are things a lot more civilised in the Championship?

Guest WashyGeordie

Just read .com's match report and they have listed Campbell in the team ?

Is this Sol ? Danny simpson seems to be missing from it, have i missed something ?

It'll be a cock-up.

Guest prestonj1989

Harper - 8 - Not much to do first half as Palace seemed to miss target with all their chances. Good second half.

Simpson - 6 - Didn't do much. No mistakes but looks quite slow.

Taylor - 7 - Decent.

Colo - 8 - Very good second half. Seems to be just booting it clear now instead of messing about with it at the back.

Enrique - 9 - Excellent again never made a mistake. Seems to win all the fifty-fifty balls. Good link up with Jonas.

R. Taylor - 7 - Good goal. Not much else.

Smith - 7 - Good defensive midfield performance. Dunno what he was doing on that Ranger break away at the end though.

Nolan - 6/7 - Average

Guthrie - 8 - Very good performance playing in advanced midfield role. Didn't look fully fit either so looks promising for coming weeks.

Jonas - 7 - Good couple of assists. Not keen on his attitude. Only player throwing arms in air/ complaining at other players.

Ameobi - 6/7 - Decent hold up play. Missed what looked to be a sitter after good work by Guthrie.

Ranger - 7 - Showed promise and good pace on the one opportunity he had.

Butt - 5 - Seems to play like he has got all the skill in the world and he hasnt. Done one bit of skill that actually came off though.

Geremi - 5 - Got fouled and fell over to the amusement of the fans and the players (especially Nolan).

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Ranger looked like he was sitting on the front row with our fans at HT. Didn't have a great view as was quite near the back. Anyone know what he was doing?

Harper - 8 - Not much to do first half as Palace seemed to miss target with all their chances. Good second half.

Taylor - 7 - Decent.

Colo - 8 - Very good second half. Seems to be just booting it clear now instead of messing about with it at the back.

Enrique - 9 - Excellent again never made a mistake. Seems to win all the fifty-fifty balls. Good link up with Jonas.

Smith - 7 - Good defensive midfield performance. Dunno what he was doing on that Ranger break away at the end though.

Nolan - 6/7 - Average

Guthrie - 8 - Very good performance playing in advanced midfield role. Didn't look fully fit either so looks promising for coming weeks.

Jonas - 7 - Good couple of assists. Not keen on his attitude. Only player throwing arms in air/ complaining at other players.

Ameobi - 6/7 - Decent hold up play. Missed what looked to be a sitter after good work by Guthrie.

Butt - 5 - Seems to play like he has got all the skill in the world and he hasnt. Done one bit of skill that actually came off though.

Geremi - 5 - Got fouled and fell over to the amusement of the fans and the players (especially Nolan).

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Ranger looked like he was sitting on the front row with our fans at HT. Didn't have a great view as was quite near the back. Anyone know what he was doing?

This in particular is very encouraging, at least it shows he wants to improve and is willing to change his game

Guest prestonj1989

Taylor - 7 - Decent.

Nolan - 6/7 - Average

This in particular is very encouraging, at least it shows he wants to improve and is willing to change his game

I agree. Looks like he is prepared to work for the team more than Jonas to me.

Taylor - 7 - Decent.

Nolan - 6/7 - Average

:dowie:

Guest sicko2ndbest

People at the game, how did the midfield combo of Guthrie and Smith look? I think this is our best partnership personally as both make up for the others weaknesses.

Guthrie and Barton for me has the most potential, although tbf to Smith he is making a strong case. Guthrie holding spraying passes with Barton being the driving influence

People at the game, how did the midfield combo of Guthrie and Smith look? I think this is our best partnership personally as both make up for the others weaknesses.

Guthrie and Barton for me has the most potential, although tbf to Smith he is making a strong case. Guthrie holding spraying passes with Barton being the driving influence

This has been my opinion of recent months as well. Although Nolan is staking a claim in fairness. Its going to be hard to drop him if he continues his recent form...

Guest prestonj1989

Smith ahead of Barton? Are you mad?

Smith and Guthrie combination in centre midfield looked very good. Not convinced yet with Barton and we could hardly drop Smith the way he has been playing. My first choice is Smith and Guthrie.

I just still don't trust Barton, both on and off the pitch. I like the holding player to be more like Smith than Guthrie, personal preference though, as both are more than capable.

Barton is ten times the player Alan Smith is. People have short memories, 4 good games in 2 years and suddenly Smith is worth the shirt, honestly

I agree, Barton is far superior than Smith in terms of ability, but Smith has played well in the chances he's been given this season. It would be a bit harsh to all of a sudden drop him, wouldn't it?

Smith works well within a five cos all he has to do is sit back and put the odd interception/challenge in. In a four he is shit. Not got the legs to get up to support and hasn't got the passing ability to be effective.

After today's performance I think we're onto something with the 5 man midfield.

For me in the centre it would be:

Smith

Guthrie

Barton

The Jonas on the left and if we could get Tommy Smith in from Watford he's fit the right side of that formation perfectly.

I just still don't trust Barton, both on and off the pitch. I like the holding player to be more like Smith than Guthrie, personal preference though, as both are more than capable.

What risk is he on the pitch?

Alan Smith is a lot more of a risk than Barton, he could easily have been sent off against both Reading and Sheff Wed

Guest prestonj1989

What risk is he on the pitch?

Alan Smith is a lot more of a risk than Barton, he could easily have been sent off against both Reading and Sheff Wed

That he might dive in and get sent off like against Liverpool