Newcastle 4 - 3 Huddersfield Town - 26/08/09 - post match reaction from page 22

Dave

I wish we can get that ruthless manager who can sell him.... But even with Shearer we can't see the back of Butt... So Sad...

He's our captain and he just extended his contract for one more season last year, so he's not going anywhere.

Did anyone else notice that Stephen Harper put him as a sub in his all-time NUFC team on .co.uk, btw?

Was a weird match, even at 3-1 down I never had "that sinking feeling" but that may have been down to the fact that if we'd gone out it wouldn't have been a disaster due to our tiny squad.

Krul - Comes for everything, when he gets there it's great, when he doesn't we concede. Looked a blatant dive by Robinson (?) for their pen, you could tell by Krul's reaction anyway.

R Taylor - Average, some decent freekick's into the box

Kadar - Didn't look steady at all, but his debut paired with a full back won't have helped.

Simpson - Hmm, wouldn't like to see him at CB very often.

Enrique - Great, world's strongest man tbh.

Geremi - Good for him, nice finish, actually played 90 minutes and is a decent option every now and again.

Butt - I just don't think he's very good.

Nolan - Still heavy, was good 2nd half but pretty anonymous first

Guthrie - Good goal, passing is a bit wayward sometimes, keeps things ticking

Kazenga - A very young and very quick Jonas

Ranger - Strong and jumps well but is nowhere near the finished article obviously, some promising moments (actually gets in the positions to score)

Subs:

Shola - Best player ever. Injured?

Jonas - Got kicked a lot, made stuff happen.

Them: Number 9 is a cheat, but that's football. Played some decent football at times and were clinical. And cynical.

Watched the goals again. Nice through ball from Guthrie to get our pen, exactly the kind of pass that we miss out on without him or Barton. Nicely taken goal also.

Once again well played Ameobi also for the last two goals. If you count his leave for Nolans first against Palace, hes had a big hand in us getting the points in all of our 5 games now. Good lad hope hes not injured.

A lot of cup games that I've been to have fizzled out into a 1-0 or 2-1. so last night was a pleasant surprise. Lua Lua was poor, as was Ranger when he had the ball on the floor and Kadar looked as nervous as hell. Enrique played well but the rest of the defence looked shaky. Guthrie played well,except the giving the ball away on one occasion, and Nolan looked good. Shola and Jonas played really well when they came on. Disaster averted 

Guest Stephen927

Anyone see the fan get on the pitch at the end?

He was still on as I was walking out, stewards didn't seem to notice, he tried some sort of flip but failed miserably.

There was a season-ticket holder in the seat I had a bought a ticket for, daft how the club are allowing seats to be double-booked. Didn't have any bother finding a seat the row behind, sat next to someone who looked a lot like Mark Jensesn, think it might have been him, not sure though.

Aye, he did a couple of flips, first one fell but nailed the other two and was celebrating before he came off the pitch and the police looked like they were handcuffing him.

Guest Phil K

Mind, the poor performances from some of the lads promoted for the night is worrying.

We knew how paper thin the squad is, and with Ashley almost certainly going to try to unload more players, disaster looms if only a couple of loans are brought in.

Do you think Taylor and Colly were rested deliberatly to show how weak we are in centre defence? Just seemed strange to rest those two and play two kids in CD who usually play full back. Throw in a young keeper and we had a disaster waiting to happen (x3).

I thought the game also showed that Ranger, LuaLua, Kadar and Krul have a little way to go to make the first team. Introducing them one at a time may be more effective. I was impressed with Simpson even though he is too small to be a CB. Well timed tackles and organising from the lad.

I thought Enrique was again our best player - just hope he stays. I also thought Shola made a difference and you could sense the confidence he has right now.

Whatever the opposition it was good to come back from 3-1.

Do you think Taylor and Colly were rested deliberatly to show how weak we are in centre defence? Just seemed strange to rest those two and play two kids in CD who usually play full back. Throw in a young keeper and we had a disaster waiting to happen (x3).

I thought the game also showed that Ranger, LuaLua, Kadar and Krul have a little way to go to make the first team. Introducing them one at a time may be more effective. I was impressed with Simpson even though he is too small to be a CB. Well timed tackles and organising from the lad.

I thought Enrique was again our best player - just hope he stays. I also thought Shola made a difference and you could sense the confidence he has right now.

Whatever the opposition it was good to come back from 3-1.

It was so they wouldn't be cup-tied.

Guest Roger Kint

Funniest comment on this forum that.

Colo was left out to avoid being cup tied?

Jesus wept, which Premier League team would buy him? Give your head a shake man!

:doh:

Jesus wept, which Premier League team would buy him? Give your head a shake man!

Colo is on massive wages and Ashley wants rid. There's not much chance of a premiership team coming in for him, but if one of the teams gets desperate around deadline time anything could happen and having a non cup-tied player is more attractive than one that is.

I'll give my head a shake if you pull yours out of your arse.

Guest Roger Kint

Colo is on massive wages and Ashley wants rid. There's not much chance of a premiership team coming in for him, but if one of the teams gets desperate around deadline time anything could happen and having a non cup-tied player is more attractive than one that is.

I'll give my head a shake if you pull yours out of your arse.

Yeah ok am sure the desperation will be eased by the fact he is eligable for the Carling Cup. I will leave my head up my arse if thats all you can come up with.

Guest Roger Kint

:lol: Teams that care about the carling cup couldn't afford colo, and teams that could afford colo don't care about the carling cup (or could afford better). 

Exactly

Guest The Libertine

Does anyone here still thinks that Krul should be our number 1?

it was his full debut. obviously he'll need games to improve.

Then giving him the chance in these sort of games is ideal. Not by making him our number 1 based on a mixed performance versus WBA and playing him in every game.

Guest The Libertine

Then giving him the chance in these sort of games is ideal. Not by making him our number 1 based on a mixed performance versus WBA and playing him in every game.

giving him 2 or 3 cup matches a year isnt really going to help much. im not saying he should be the number one but he needs 15+ games this year since he's "the future" and harper is only going downhill from here. same goes with a few others like ranger and lua lua.

Guest Heneage

When Josh told me the score I was in shock, even more so when I saw we were 3-1 down, souded a decent game I'd have loved to have seen the reactions at 3-1.

:lol: Teams that care about the carling cup couldn't afford colo, and teams that could afford colo don't care about the carling cup (or could afford better). 

I agree with your "or could afford better" part. I imagine that Arsenal (and possibly Liverpool) will care a great deal about the Carling Cup this year. Wenger has to win something this year and the CC's his best bet. Manchester United treated the Carling Cup like it was the Champions League a few years back when they were winning squat and it served to boost the team's confidence, imo.

Guest Roger Kint

I agree with your "or could afford better" part. I imagine that Arsenal (and possibly Liverpool) will care a great deal about the Carling Cup this year. Wenger has to win something this year and the CC's his best bet. Manchester United treated the Carling Cup like it was the Champions League a few years back when they were winning squat and it served to boost the team's confidence, imo.

No titles for 3 years, won 2006 CC and won league since :pow:

Enjoyed the game last night. I thought Huddersfield played quite well but simply ran out of energy and our quality level was too much for them. I think it was clear that Enrique was our best player, Gutierrez made a big impact when he came on, Butt was terrible and I was impressed with Guthrie apart from the predictable one two he seems to be completing too often.

I haven't enjoyed a game at St James Park like that in a long time.

Was a hell of a game at times, very much end to end and it really could have gone either way.

I know it's said loads but at 1-3, I didn't panic and didn't think it was over, and the key to winning was the players reacted in the same way. Yes when their third goal went in we looked a bit rocky and on-edge, but by the time Geremi's shot hit the back of the net I think they knew they were going to end up winning.

Class prevailed in the end and we won because we took Butt off and brought on Shola and Jonas.

Guthrie shone for me, Nolan had a decent game, Butt was woeful, Ameobi was decent, Geremi wasn't that bad and Enrique showed again that he's too good for this place.