Newcastle v Leicester 31/08/09 - Pre Match Thread [19:45 KO Live on Sky Sports]

Fatwax

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harper

Simpson            Taylor                  Coloccini              Enrique

Guthrie                Barton            Smith                Gutierrez

Nolan

Ameobi

If Carroll's still out we'd be better off going with Nolan just of Ameobi, 'cos Ranger isn't up for this level yet, he needs to be thrown in gradually.

If Carroll is fit and replaces Nolan that's our strongest team isn't it?

Anyone think Vuckic will keep his place on the bench? Or back in the wilderness?

regarding carroll and nolan i think it depends on the oopsition. away to barnsley i'd probably go carroll, away at cardiff i'd go nolan.

If Carroll is fit and replaces Nolan that's our strongest team isn't it?

Anyone think Vuckic will keep his place on the bench? Or back in the wilderness?

regarding carroll and nolan i think it depends on the oopsition. away to barnsley i'd probably go carroll, away at cardiff i'd go nolan.

Yeah, probably right.

I'm amazed people are still so keen for Carroll to be in the team tbh

I'm amazed you hate him so much.  ;D  Almost MOTM against West Brom, set up Shola v Sheff Wed and was hardly bad in the other games.

impressed me at the back end of last season and this could be his level when he settles and we haven't git a lot of choice up front.

I'm amazed you hate him so much.  ;D  Almost MOTM against West Brom, set up Shola v Sheff Wed and was hardly bad in the other games.

I don't hate him at all, I just don't really see anything in him with the exception of his fantastic aerial presence

I don't hate him at all, I just don't really see anything in him with the exception of his fantastic aerial presence

That'll do in the Championship, it would be nice to add another striker but even if we didn't Shola and Carroll wouldn't be the worst partnership in the league (or the best).

That'll do in the Championship, it would be nice to add another striker but even if we didn't Shola and Carroll wouldn't be the worst partnership in the league (or the best).

Why? Shola isn't doing too badly in the target man role. The pair of them seem to cancel each other out at times. Wouldn't it be nice to put a pacey grafter with a bit of skill alongside him. There's a lack of penetration that was pretty evident against Sheff Wed.

Draw. Or a tight win.

Harper

Simpson   Colo   Taylor   Enrique

Smith   Guthrie

Barton          Nolan           Jonas

Ameobi

Why? Shola isn't doing too badly in the target man role. The pair of them seem to cancel each other out at times. Wouldn't it be nice to put a pacey grafter with a bit of skill alongside him. There's a lack of penetration that was pretty evident against Sheff Wed.

I agree, I said it would be nice to have another striker but that doesn't seem likely.  I guess Xisco might come in but Hughton doesn't seem to rate him.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1770170,00.html

Hughton Hopeful On Injured Duo

CHRIS Hughton is optimistic injuries to Carling Cup supersubs Shola Ameobi and Jonas Gutierrez will not prove serious.

United will run checks on the pair on Thursday ahead of Monday's home Championship clash with Leicester City but Hughton said: "Hopefully they will be okay.

"Shola felt his ankle slightly and made a decision to come off.

"Jonas just felt his hamstring slightly again but we are not even sure it's an actual pull.

"That's the good news, though we will assess them in the morning. Where we are at the moment, we need all the players available that we can."

Hughton also confirmed there were no injury problems with centre-backs Steven Taylor and Fabricio Coloccini, who were not in the side that beat Lee Clark's Huddersfield 4-3.

"I left them out of today's game and they will be perfectly fit and able for Monday's game," Hughton said.