Newcastle v Leicester 31/08/09 - Pre Match Thread [19:45 KO Live on Sky Sports]

Fatwax

Guest Heneage

I'm looking for someone to blame here.

Do you blame Hughton for putting them in against the cloggers of Huddersfield in a useless cup game? Do you blame Ashley for not getting more in? Blergh.

Bumper crowd ?

Possible new owners and bank holiday night time kick off could see us go over the 45,000 mark i think.

Plus i think Leicester have sold their full allocation.

But what is their full allocation?? Reading were allocated 1668 tickets and sold about half.

I will be very very surprised if Leicester have sold the 2850 that Sheff Wed did as in the past their support up here has been absolutely gash.

Christ just had a horrible thought that if Shola is crocked we could see Smith back playing up front and Butt playing in midfield............

Hopefully Butt is out too, or atleast that Hughton has enough sense to see that Guthrie is a far superior player. Hoping that the Butt substitution on Wednesday supports one of the two theories :nods:

Guest Stephen927

Jonas injury = blessing in disguise, won't leave now.

Shola's injury is a bit of mare but hopefully Ranger/Xisco will have time to build some confidence now.

Still need another striker like.

Jonas could still be sold while he is injured, look at Downing at Villa, he won't be able to play a game for them until December/January time.

Ok, Shola and Carroll are out of this crucial league match. Who would YOU choose?

RANGER

XISCO

erm.. SMITH

DONALDSON

This injury in the striker department means that we'll almost definitely play a 5 man midfield with Nolan playing the advanced role.. so who would you play upfront? Your choices range from 3 strikers with no senior goals for the club and a Spanish striker that has failed to impress at reserve level whilst here.

Ok, Shola and Carroll are out of this crucial league match. Who would YOU choose?

RANGER

XISCO

erm.. SMITH

DONALDSON

This injury in the striker department means that we'll almost definitely play a 5 man midfield with Nolan playing the advanced role.. so who would you play upfront? Your choices range from 3 strikers with no senior goals for the club and a Spanish striker that has failed to impress at reserve level whilst here.

Xisco out too groin injury

At least Barton is back for this one.

I think with Guthrie and Barton playing we shouldn't worry too much, they will be a massive problem for any defence in this league.

Fatwax, Xisco is also injured.

RANGER

XISCO

erm.. SMITH

DONALDSON

Xisco out too groin injury

..shit.

Barton will prob get on as a sub id imagine, they rarely just drop a player straight back in.

Same with Butt luckily.

Get Ranger upfront, give the lad another go. Smith upfront would be pointless, hes no confidence in that area anymore.

Shola hasn't bee ruled out...he's very doubtful. In NUFC terms this means he is crippled though.

Unless we get a surprise loan/free signing today (like we did Simpson a few weeks back) it'll be Ranger supported by Guthrie/Nolan you would think. Guthrie was more advanced than Nolan in the first half on Wednesday and according to the radio was much further upfield than Nolan on Saturday at Palace, so I'd expect something like:

Ranger

Nolan Guthrie

R Taylor             Barton

Smith

Guest Roger Kint

Barton will prob get on as a sub id imagine, they rarely just drop a player straight back in.

Same with Butt luckily.

Get Ranger upfront, give the lad another go. Smith upfront would be pointless, hes no confidence in that area anymore.

If Ranger ends up our only fit forward we MUST have Barton and Guthrie involved to help him, our midfield will be very pedestrian without Jonas.

Same with Butt luckily.

If Ranger ends up our only fit forward we MUST have Barton and Guthrie involved to help him, our midfield will be very pedestrian without Jonas.

well it is worth pointing out that smith was regarded as a striker at one stage in his career

I would play:

Krul

Simpson Taylor Colo Enrique

Taylor Guthrie Smith Barton

Nolan

Ranger

if Barton can't make it I'd prefer to play Geremi or Vuckic than Lua Lua.

Harper on the back of 3 consecutive clean sheets, dropped. Brilliant.