The end of diving? No.

Guest icemanblue

Guest icemanblue

(From F365)

UEFA have charged Arsenal striker Eduardo with diving to win a penalty against Celtic and he could now face missing the Gunners' first two Champions League group games.

European football's governing body announced they had opened disciplinary proceedings against the Croatia international for "deceiving the referee" in Wednesday night's play-off round second leg at the Emirates Stadium.

UEFA said in a statement: "Having studied video evidence of the incident in question, the UEFA disciplinary inspector decided to charge the player concerned. The UEFA control and disciplinary body will examine the case on September 1."

The charge is based on Article 10, paragraph 1c of the UEFA disciplinary regulations (misconduct of players) which states: "Players may be suspended for two competition matches, or for a specified period, for acting with the obvious intent to cause any match official to make an incorrect decision or supporting his error of judgment and thereby causing him to make an incorrect decision."

---

Mad, eh?

Guest The Libertine

if this happens to every player who dives then its good. if it just happens to a player who gets some pointless media attention for it then its a PR joke.

will rooney/gerrard/young etc get this?

Guest Roger Kint

Its hardly new, a player against Scotland a while back was done for it.

Hopefully its pushed through properly by the Premier League as well.

They cant implement this strongly as the majority of time there is atleast minimal contact for players that fall over. Which if even in reality common sense tells you wouldnt bring the player down, they cant state with any authority.

Guest Roger Kint

They cant implement this strongly as the majority of time there is atleast minimal contact for players that fall over. Which if even in reality common sense tells you wouldnt bring the player down, they cant state with any authority.

Well obviously this is for those which(like Eduardo) clearly show cheating

I know. Im just saying that its rare that its so incredibly obvious that its a dive...players with any form of brain usually purposely make sure theres contact when they fall over.

Theyve also only done this because of the fact it resulted in a pen & goal. This wont be happening often, its far from the end of diving.

Guest Roger Kint

I know. Im just saying that its rare that its so incredibly obvious that its a dive...players with any form of brain usually purposely make sure theres contact when they fall over.

Theyve also only done this because of the fact it resulted in a pen & goal. This wont be happening often, its far from the end of diving.

I agree there. Players will always get away with a degree of it.

Its the least they can do! if they don't want to interrupt play with camera replays for the ref, then its a good idea to charge them after the games ended.

Hopefully theres no hiding place and the bans will deter the diving cheating bastards a little.

The english game has been getting worse and no-one here would like to see the diving/cheating get to the levels it has in spain/south america and italy  :angry:

Joke decision to charge him with anything unless they plan to do it every single time someone is suspected of diving.

Glad they did it, tbh. As Jayson says, it's difficult to take any action against a player who fell when there was contact, however slight, but I think it's essential to make an example of players in a case like this when it's plain that he wasn't even touched.

Guest The_Scoreboard

Joke decision to charge him with anything unless they plan to do it every single time someone is suspected of diving.

Well i hope they do then we might see some good 'round the keeper' goals that have seemed to disappear lately. attackers staying on their feet instead of looking for the pen. :clap:

i think they should do it even if there IS contact.  i think that will encourage players to demonstrate a little tenacity & hunger.  one of the nice things about watching the youngsters play is that they haven't learned to dive at every opportunity--instead they try & give the extra effort to make a play.

Wenger is now on SSN saying how this is "disgraceful and unacceptable" and the video is "inconclusive".

I'd say it's pretty conclusive...

"Sometimes I see it but I say that I didn't see it to protect the players and because I could not find any rational explanation for what they did."

They need to review footage of every top division match across the continent and start charging players regularly. That would really show commitment to stamping this out.

Football is a contact sport BTW, a 'foul' doesn't mean you just 'made contact' with someone.

For me diving is the thing that will have the biggest detrimental effect on football, much more so than money or anything else. It's cheating in the purest form.

Wenger is now on SSN saying how this is "disgraceful and unacceptable" and the video is "inconclusive".

I'd say it's pretty conclusive...

"Sometimes I see it but I say that I didn't see it to protect the players and because I could not find any rational explanation for what they did."

It's time to move on from that attitude though, managers should be calling out their own players and making it clear that they do not want them to win penalties in this way.