The end of diving? No.

Guest icemanblue

Guest Geordiekev

Was worth it just for the comedy value hearing arshole vinigar bleat on trying to excuse his player lol, he fell after the keeper went to ground, had he been trying to jump clear of a possible challenge then this would have been clearly noted as the keeper went in.

I would love to see technology used, it would take less time to get a clear description of what happened than it does to have 11 players screaming at the ref before any free kick, penalty is awarded.

This is one of the most ridiculous outrageous decisions in recent memory. It has been done solely as a result of the reaction from the insane British hype machine media. I guarantee you that this will not be enforced at anyother point during this season unless similar circumstances arise. Don't know why Celtic get such preferential treatment from UEFA. Reminds me of the Dida incident. Celtic failed to control their own supporters and ended up with a fan on the pitch who went out and touched a player in what was a potentially dangerous situation. However, it is Dida who is punished while Celtic don't even get a match behind closed doors. I guess because Dida is a "diving bitch". I really hate how the witchhunt mentality that the British media has towards some players (foreigners). I hate even more that Europe's highest football authority is actually influenced by thsi rubbish.

This is one of the most ridiculous outrageous decisions in recent memory. It has been done solely as a result of the reaction from the insane British hype machine media. I guarantee you that this will not be enforced at anyother point during this season unless similar circumstances arise. Don't know why Celtic get such preferential treatment from UEFA. Reminds me of the Dida incident. Celtic failed to control their own supporters and ended up with a fan on the pitch who went out and touched a player in what was a potentially dangerous situation. However, it is Dida who is punished while Celtic don't even get a match behind closed doors. I guess because Dida is a "diving bitch". I really hate how the witchhunt mentality that the British media has towards some players (foreigners). I hate even more that Europe's highest football authority is actually influenced by thsi rubbish.

I cannot believe that no other player in that round of Champions League qualifiers dived. The decision is PR, but you could argue the other way round - that UEFA are making a stand because the team is English. Either way, it's pathetic. Nice in principle, but unless you scrutinize every game it's going to be innately biased.

Joke decision to charge him with anything unless they plan to do it every single time someone is suspected of diving.

Totally agree with you.  It's long overdue that there was a crackdown on diving, but this does just look like a witch-hunt, and there will be no other players charged by either UEFA or any other European FAs for 'simulation' over the coming weekend.  The referees seem to apply the yellow card for 'simulation' rule in a very adhoc manner as well.

Plus, doesn't this go against the whole UEFA stance of not having 'trial by video'?

I actually don't think it was that much of a dive. Sure, he made the most of it, but at least there was contact.

Gerrard got away with punching a man several times in the face, so it's probably likely he'll get away with falling over.

[glow=red,2,300][/glow]

Probably because of this:- Uefa general secretary David Taylor =  ex Chief Executive of the SFA.

Until Rooney, Gerard, Owen or Ronaldo is accused of this too whenever they do their next dives then this has been done for show and nothing else. I just don't believe it would have happened to Rooney or Gerrard had they been playing precious Celtic. It's meaningless tbh and won't change a thing.

[glow=red,2,300][/glow]

Probably because of this:- Uefa general secretary David Taylor =  ex Chief Executive of the SFA.

Until Rooney, Gerard, Owen or Ronaldo is accused of this too whenever they do their next dives then this has been done for show and nothing else. I just don't believe it would have happened to Rooney or Gerrard had they been playing precious Celtic. It's meaningless tbh and won't change a thing.

The action itself isn't meaningless though, it shows how cavalier UEFA can be with impunity. I'd be impressed if the next one was a Real or Inter player, or someone obscure from that Romanian team (Debreceni?) - at least that would mean they are serious.

[glow=red,2,300][/glow]

The action itself isn't meaningless though, it shows how cavalier UEFA can be with impunity. I'd be impressed if the next one was a Real or Inter player, or someone obscure from that Romanian team (Debreceni?) - at least that would mean they are serious.

I'll put me mortgage on it never happening to any player from Man U, Chelsea, Barcelona, Real Madrid and probably Inter and AC Milan. Not in a million years. It's pure politics at its worst. Aye diving is rank and no-one should do it, but this is just cosmetics.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Jonas had better watch out. Good job they only have 1 camera at non televised Championship games for that shitty Football League show.

I think there are too many grey areas here to make punishment viable. It's often a matter of very fine judgement whether the contact has been sufficient to bring the player down, and/ or whether the striker has deliberately gone out of his way to make the contact happen.

I've found all this sanctimonious crap from the Celtic officials and players a lot more irritating than what Eduardo did.

My main feeling is that if a keeper dives at the player's feet, he's got to get the ball. If he doesn't, he's always going to be at risk of a pen. He can't expect the ref to be infallible in that situation. That's the reality.

I think there are too many grey areas here to make punishment viable. It's often a matter of very fine judgement whether the contact has been sufficient to bring the player down, and/ or whether the striker has deliberately gone out of his way to make the contact happen.

I've found all this sanctimonious crap from the Celtic officials and players a lot more irritating than what Eduardo did.

My main feeling is that if a keeper dives at the player's feet, he's got to get the ball. If he doesn't, he's always going to be at risk of a pen. He can't expect the ref to be infallible in that situation. That's the reality.

Nonsense: should be judged on the same criteria used on the rest of the pitch. No reason why goalies should be shafted like that, tbh.

Gut reaction is that they should let the referee make decisions like this. They'll get most right but they'll get a few wrong from time to time.

I can understand why people want divers to be punished retrospectively but I like the idea of the ref being in charge and making an instant decision, even if it's the wrong one from time to time. Keeps it interesting. 

Nonsense: should be judged on the same criteria used on the rest of the pitch. No reason why goalies should be shafted like that, tbh.

I wasn't meaning that the goalie should be penalised regardless of whether he touches the ball. Just that if he dives at the forward's feet, he can't really complain about the ref's decision if he misses the ball. It's very difficult to tell what's happened in that split second.

Gut reaction is that they should let the referee make decisions like this. They'll get most right but they'll get a few wrong from time to time.

I can understand why people want divers to be punished retrospectively but I like the idea of the ref being in charge and making an instant decision, even if it's the wrong one from time to time. Keeps it interesting.  

I'm all for the current on-field reffing situation--the idea of the TV Umpire thing is ridiuclous, imo--but I have no problem with cards, fines, bans, etc. being handed out 'after the fact'. I really hope this isn't just a one-off.