Newcastle United 1 - 0 Leicester City - 31/08/09 - post match reaction from p22

JH

Also worrying was the fact that Nolan looked very tired around the 60th minute mark.

he always does, it's f***ing disgusting

according to Djmattis we should stop 'bothering him' about it though

And Hughton always seems reluctant to make a few subs before the 80th minute.

Bound to be wary about blooding kids when only 1-0 up against a very physical team in tough conditions. Although I was surprised Kazenga didn't come on to give us a bit more pace to stretch the game.

Just watched the post match interviews on Skysports.com, how pissed off is Pearson, i dont think he could be any more obnoxtious towards the interviewer !!

Just watched it, the bloke is a cock.

Aye, he was like that before the match as well, you could tell he was pissed at NEwcastle or something, the interviewer was pushing him to say this will be tougher than most games but he basically made it sound like it would be a fairly easy game for them.

Just watched the post match interviews on Skysports.com, how pissed off is Pearson, i dont think he could be any more obnoxtious towards the interviewer !!

Just watched it, the bloke is a cock.

Aye, he was like that before the match as well, you could tell he was pissed at NEwcastle or something, the interviewer was pushing him to say this will be tougher than most games but he basically made it sound like it would be a fairly easy game for them.

Yeah I saw that. What a fucking bell end. Don't know what he was sour about after the game, we were pissing on them in the second half.

Seen enough to make me believe you'll be be back in the Premier League next season.

A good Newcastle team is far better for the league than Bolton, Hull, Wolves, Stoke etc etc anyway.

Far too soon to be making those sort of comments as the squad is very small - got away with it against Leicester because a) Harper made a blinding save from Howard's header, plus 2 other good saves, all before we scored ; had any of these chances, plus a bad miss by Leicester, been converted, we would have lost.

The team is getting by on the strength of the midfield at this level - Smith is winning many balls, but will do so at the expense of yellow cards ; Nolan, Guthrie and Barton make enough decent runs to keep a good deal of possession when Smith wins it but Ranger is still(naturally) far from the finished article up front and unless we make a couple of signings we will struggle for goals from front players although Ameobi can get his share at this level.

Enrique was defensively excellent(and that his his main job, NOT acting as a winger because we are so light in that dept) - as has been said, he made one bad pass near the end which could have been costly, but was otherwise one of the mainstays.

We face a difficult away game at the weekend against Cardiff and unless some signings are made we could struggle to score down there, but certainly for now, the team have ground out the results and all credit to both them and the coaching staff for showing great attitiude in the first month of the season.

Nonsense. It'd take a disaster for us not to get promoted with this team.

With a full side out yesterday it would have been 3 or 4 but we still won with a depleted side, against one of the better teams in the league.

Teams can't score against us and we're always liable to get one at the other end. It'd be nice to see Harper break Van Der Sar's record for consecutive clean sheets in the league.

Still makes me laugh how people were panicking after Orient. People obssess about beating Sunderland's crowds at this level but we should go after their 105 points total.

We'll see how much 'nonsense' this is after we start to get a few bad results - and we WILL ; even KK's promotion side(who would have beaten this lot out of sight)went several games in Jan/Feb 93 without a win and we don't even know whether some of the current squad will be sold today...

You are really tempting fate by saying 'teams can't score against us..' Leicester missed a sitter last night, and Harper made as good a save as Given has ever made when he stopped Howard scoring..what happens if Taylor or Enrique get injured/suspended, etc.?

Have you ever seen a promotion season before ?

Did you not see how we blew promotion in the play-offs against the Mackems ?

We shall see......

Just a little reminder folks.. after today we still have the entire month of January to sell players.. players that will probably be performing out of their skin until then in this division. Just so you all know.

Big kisses.

Seen enough to make me believe you'll be be back in the Premier League next season.

A good Newcastle team is far better for the league than Bolton, Hull, Wolves, Stoke etc etc anyway.

Far too soon to be making those sort of comments as the squad is very small - got away with it against Leicester because a) Harper made a blinding save from Howard's header, plus 2 other good saves, all before we scored ; had any of these chances, plus a bad miss by Leicester, been converted, we would have lost.

The team is getting by on the strength of the midfield at this level - Smith is winning many balls, but will do so at the expense of yellow cards ; Nolan, Guthrie and Barton make enough decent runs to keep a good deal of possession when Smith wins it but Ranger is still(naturally) far from the finished article up front and unless we make a couple of signings we will struggle for goals from front players although Ameobi can get his share at this level.

Enrique was defensively excellent(and that his his main job, NOT acting as a winger because we are so light in that dept) - as has been said, he made one bad pass near the end which could have been costly, but was otherwise one of the mainstays.

We face a difficult away game at the weekend against Cardiff and unless some signings are made we could struggle to score down there, but certainly for now, the team have ground out the results and all credit to both them and the coaching staff for showing great attitiude in the first month of the season.

Nonsense. It'd take a disaster for us not to get promoted with this team.

With a full side out yesterday it would have been 3 or 4 but we still won with a depleted side, against one of the better teams in the league.

Teams can't score against us and we're always liable to get one at the other end. It'd be nice to see Harper break Van Der Sar's record for consecutive clean sheets in the league.

Still makes me laugh how people were panicking after Orient. People obssess about beating Sunderland's crowds at this level but we should go after their 105 points total.

We'll see how much 'nonsense' this is after we start to get a few bad results - and we WILL ; even KK's promotion side(who would have beaten this lot out of sight)went several games in Jan/Feb 93 without a win and we don't even know whether some of the current squad will be sold today...

You are really tempting fate by saying 'teams can't score against us..' Leicester missed a sitter last night, and Harper made as good a save as Given has ever made when he stopped Howard scoring..what happens if Taylor or Enrique get injured/suspended, etc.?

Have you ever seen a promotion season before ?

Did you not see how we blew promotion in the play-offs against the Mackems ?

We shall see......

This is the best team on paper that's been in this league in living memory. The question was whether they could blend into a team but they have.

The Keegan promotion team lost a few games and so will we, so what? We aren't going to go 46 games unbeaten, even with this team.

When we do lose, it'll be a positive because it'll ward against complacency. We're expecting to win every week now and that hasn't been the case for a long time.

This is the best team on paper that's been in this league in living memory.

Oh behave will ya.

Name a better one then?

West Ham went down with a better team but they all left.

We've managed to keep a team of Premiership quality players together. Not a squad admittedly but the youngsters and loan signings from the Premier league, plus one or two more in today will more than make up the numbers.

Oh behave will ya.

Name a better one then?

We've managed to keep a team of Premiership quality players together. Not a squad admittedly but the youngsters and loan signings from the Premier league, plus one or two more in today will more than make up the numbers.

The last time we won the league the squad/team was a mile better than this one is.

Also worrying was the fact that Nolan looked very tired around the 60th minute mark.

he always does, it's f***ing disgusting

according to Djmattis we should stop 'bothering him' about it though

And Hughton always seems reluctant to make a few subs before the 80th minute.

Geremi and Nolan looked absolutely knackered, I don't know how both played the full 90.

Yeah but it made sense to wait last night. Making subs too soon could have blown it for us. As soon as Vuckic/Donaldson came on we lost pretty much all of our attack and ball retention going forward. Doing that from 60/70 minutes could have cost us.

I think on the whole Hughton has been decent enough with his subs and when he's brought them on.

Yeah,  I think Hugton's team selection and subs this season have been first class.  I reckon he reads this forum for this as he always seems to do what Im thinking and isnt afraid to throw on youngsters.  If it had been kinnear Nolan would have started up front on his own and butt would have been centrehalf even if he was injured.

:lol:

Or, he's been in the game longer than you've been alive and like most professionals in the game, knows what he is doing. Its just now the results are going for him, so his decisions are 'correct'.

Same decisions, different results, wouldnt change the cognitive process, just the perception.

Oh behave will ya.

Name a better one then?

two or three astute signings will make this league a cakewalk but we'll have to see what today brings. As it stands this squad isn't big enough to cope IMO.

Oh behave will ya.

Name a better one then?

We've managed to keep a team of Premiership quality players together.

Premiership quality players... Who got relegated from the Premiership.

Logical.

The gulf in class between the two leagues is so great that there is actually a whole classification of players who aren't good enough for the premiership but are too good for the championship.

I think most of them were in our's, West Brom's and Boro's squads last year.

The gulf in class between the two leagues is so great that there is actually a whole classification of players who aren't good enough for the premiership but are too good for the championship.

My dad was going on about 'division one and a half' players last night. It does look like we have quite a few.

Wow Pearson is a cock.

Tbf, the sky interviewer was a fucking mong and was just trying to get shitty little snippets from him to perpetuate their mindless editorial angle on all things associated with Newcastle. Pearson refused to entertain his peculiarly framed questions so came across a bit arrogant.

On the result he was a bit ungracious as they were outplayed second half.

Its not that simple though. Stoke had a Championship team on paper and finished 12th.

It comes down to good management and team spirit. Two things we didn't have last year and Stoke did.

Now we have and we also have the quality, which is why we look like running away with the league.

Its not that simple though. Stoke had a Championship team on paper and finished 12th.

It comes down to good management and team spirit. Two things we didn't have last year and Stoke did.

Now we have and we also have the quality, which is why we look like running away with the league.

Say there are 150 players in this classification. Then not all of them can play for the 3 teams that get relegated.

I take your point about management but that wasnt what i was talking about. I was talking about the gulf in class in the leagues and how some players can therefore fall between the two.

From the Leicester equivalent thread.

If you are at the game you get a better analysis of the match, but from watching it on the TV the gulf in class was plain to see, I'd be very surprised if Newcastle dont win the League they just have too much quality, and whilst our boys worked hard, there just wasnt a spark going for us.

Just got back from the game. Firstly, well done Newcastle. Great display tonight (especially 2nd half). Despite all their troubles, including injured strikers, they performed like a team that will bounce back at the first time of asking. It will take an almighty effort from an opposing team (or an off day themselves) for them to lose their current winning streak. Also, their fans were first class. Willing to shake hands before the match and wish us all the best and then offer the sympathies for not being able to take anything from the game.

Fair result. We were slightly better 1st half, they were massively better in the 2nd half. Anyone of their team would walk into ours, in the end we did well to keep it to 1-0.

Well done Newcastle - deserved the points, if nothing but for Smith's performance.

hats off to newcastle, they played well, very impressed with ranger and smith for them.

They closed down quicker and more effectively and their plays were consistently better. We didnt deserve a point, even if Fryatt or Howard scored their chances, as we were outplayed by the better team. Should have been 3 maybe 4 to Newcastle.

From the Leicester equivalent thread.

Reading that made me rather proud. Especially saying our fans were mint and sportsman-like...

Say there are 150 players in this classification. Then not all of them can play for the 3 teams that get relegated.

I take your point about management but that wasnt what i was talking about. I was talking about the gulf in class in the leagues and how some players can therefore fall between the two.

But we aren't one of those sides who are full of players too good for the championship but not good enough for the prem.

Nolan, Smith, Jonas, Barton, Harper, Guthrie, Taylor and Enrique are proven Premiership players, who we are spoilt and blessed to have in this league. Butt and Geremi are proven but have arguably seen better days.

The only players i'd maybe put in that category are Ameobi and Ryan Taylor. Ameobi clearly a class apart in this division but won't get 20 goals in the Premiership. Having said that Taylor still did well for Wigan and Ameobi would probably do well for someone like Burnley or Bolton. So no i don't think we've actually got any players who aren't good enough for the Premiership.

But we aren't one of those sides who are full of players too good for the championship but not good enough for the prem.

Nolan, Smith, Jonas, Barton, Harper, Guthrie, Taylor and Enrique are proven Premiership players, who we are spoilt and blessed to have in this league. Butt and Geremi are proven but have arguably seen better days.

The only players i'd maybe put in that category are Ameobi and Ryan Taylor. Ameobi clearly a class apart in this division but won't get 20 goals in the Premiership. Having said that Taylor still did well for Wigan and Ameobi would probably do well for someone like Burnley or Bolton. So no i don't think we've actually got any players who aren't good enough for the Premiership.

Not many strikers do to be fair. Ameobi has always been let down by his horrific injury record, by the time he gets back up to fitness and used to games he'll break down again. I said this after the hat trick against Reading and a few people said I was just shooting him down for no reason, but the man's a wreck. He had a hip operation at 26 or so, that's a major place to have recurring injuries.

Regardless of what you say about our other players, we aren't good enough for the premiership because we got relegated fairly easily from the premiership. We may have prem-standard players, I've said this myself with players like Nolan when they're up for it, but a team is so much more than the individual abilities of the players in it. Teams with championship dross have stayed up for the opposite reason we went down.  They were a team.

Fair enough but if you think we have the nucleus of a side already that will be able to keep in us in the premiership if we get promoted then we disagree.

I think Guthrie can improve, Barton is good enough, Jonas should be but is lacking in ccutting edge, Nolan is ok but would not provide the strongest link in a prem team and Smith the same. Enrique is a great defender but gives the ball away even at this level too many times.

You're also essentially denying that the gulf in class between the leagues exists. This gulf logically creates this class of player, since individual ability isnt determined by TV revenue but club quality unfortunately is in the long-run.