Newcastle United 1 - 0 Leicester City - 31/08/09 - post match reaction from p22

JH

Guest newcastle4life

Wasnt the best peformance but another good result which is whats important also impressed with Ranger performance for his first league start.

Hughton was mint in his interview, he answered every single question in the bes tpossible way. Ranger was praised but he kept his feet on the ground. The team was praised but he stated the obvious in that we need more players. He didn't give anything away regarding where we needed to strengthen and he played down his role as caretaker manager.

On the other hand, Pearson - what a twat. He is literally the shittest person for interviews ever. I'll never forget his wank interview after we got molested by ManUre and last nights was certaintly no better.

Just remembered, i'm sure i seen Simpson kissing his badge after celebrating Guthries goal. Seems a bit early for all that like. :lol:

He did go a bit mental with the celebrations when Guthrie scored, maybe he's just enjoying playing for us? As odd as that seems.

Wasnt the best peformance but another good result which is whats important also impressed with Ranger performance for his first league start.

We're not going to play great and win 5-0 every week mate.

There'll be plenty of 1-0 wins as well.

Just remembered, i'm sure i seen Simpson kissing his badge after celebrating Guthries goal. Seems a bit early for all that like. :lol:

He did go a bit mental with the celebrations when Guthrie scored, maybe he's just enjoying playing for us? As odd as that seems.

I think anyone would enjoy playing for us right now, despite the ongoing issues there seems to be a common sense of purpose amongst the players that has not been seen for a while. 

The atmosphere in the ground is also better than it has been for seasons, perhaps being relegated and the resulting drop in attendance has cleared a lot of the "fashion fans" and moaners. Good riddance.

Although there is a noticeable difference in quality from the PL, the actual matches somehow seem more exciting and less predictable.

Still want to be straight back up though.

It's been a couple of days but here's mine;

Harper- 7 Very little to do but one good save

Raylor- 6 Didn't do alot wrong, some good set pieces

Taylor- 7 Grew as the game went on

Simpson- 6 Look a touch out of position but proved an option at centre half

Enrique- 7.5 A couple of sloppy passes but was our best defender IMO

Geremi- 5 One good attempt on goal apart from that he looked out of place

Smith- 8 Took the game by the scruff of the neck and won vital headers

Barton- 7 Was much better in the second half, good performance

Guthrie- 6 Cracking goal but went missing on the wing at times

Nolan- 7 Worked hard but missed a couple of chances

Ranger- 7 Didn't win a header in the first half, never lost one in the second.

We're not going to play great and win 5-0 every week mate.

There'll be plenty of 1-0 wins as well.

Another thirty 1-0s would suit me fine.

I think anyone would enjoy playing for us right now, despite the ongoing issues there seems to be a common sense of purpose amongst the players that has not been seen for a while. 

The atmosphere in the ground is also better than it has been for seasons, perhaps being relegated and the resulting drop in attendance has cleared a lot of the "fashion fans" and moaners. Good riddance.

Although there is a noticeable difference in quality from the PL, the actual matches somehow seem more exciting and less predictable.

Still want to be straight back up though.

:thup: Spot on.

Guest Heneage

I quite like how tougher this league is physically, you watch the Premier League and it's a non contact sport.

:nods:

Been saying the same since the first game. It's ace. :)

It's good to see tough tackles encouraged almost, like Smith's double lunge the other night, he'd have been hung for doing that in the Premier League.

Guest Heneage

Hence my post about him still not being good enough at that level. It's about all he's got.

As pilko said, the ability to get the odd good tackle and pass a simple ball and head is more than enough. It's sad to see such a gulf in class between the two top tiers but it's true.

Hence my post about him still not being good enough at that level. It's about all he's got.

I wouldn't say he isn't good enough, its just that the refs in the prem, blow up tackles far too often, and most of the prem players love to roll around like they have just been shot.

However at this level, it's enough. More than enough.

Smith is offering a lot more than just big tackles right now.

As a senior player I think his determination and attitude is rubbing off on others in the team and that is arguably more important than a defence splitting pass or superb cross.

He looks like a true captain.