Newcastle United 1 - 0 Leicester City - 31/08/09 - post match reaction from p22

JH

Good result for you rather than performance. Leicester will be ruing those first-half opportunities/Harper saves, but once you got the goal you were pretty much in full control (mind that was partly down to their toothless 2nd half display).

13 out of 15 = perfect start. Ish.

I never noticed Simpson hardly in this game, therefore he did well. Always a good sign from a CB when they go unnoticed. Apart from that slip in first-half stoppage time he was quietly good.

Yup. Coloccini against Steve Howard would have been scary.

I never noticed Simpson hardly in this game, therefore he did well. Always a good sign from a CB when they go unnoticed. Apart from that slip in first-half stoppage time he was quietly good.

He's a Newcastle fan, don't you know?

Guest north shields lad

Just got in, happy with the result, and once we scored, we could of had a couple more. Nolan, guthrie and there i say it Barton played well. Like the look of a couple of there players, they will do ok this season, that young CB they had looks very good, forget his name.

However if we havent signed anyone by tomorrow night we will not be top come december, i guarentee it.

Personally speaking...Smith and Barton seemed to boss the midfield in the second half.

Not the greatest first 45minutes of football first half, however we played much better second half.

I'm going to enjoy these two weeks of being at the top of the league.

Seems a lifetime ago since I watched him playing for Hartlepool.

Guest Heneage

It was hard to tell if Howard was poor or those around him were. They hardly used his aerial strength. And N'Guessan was no mtch for Enrique.

Guest firetotheworks

Got back just a little time ago thanks to Northern Rail seemingly forgetting there was a match on.

Anyway

Harper: 8 One mint save, and a couple of good ones.

R.Taylor: 7 Decent, he's looking a lot more endeavourous and less scared of playing at St James's.

Simpson: 7 Pretty Solid

S.Taylor: 7 As Above

Enrique: 8.5: I would have given him a 9 had he not played a daft ball in the 94th minute. The rest of the time he was simply far too good. Making tackles he had no right to make, playing passes you'd expect to be clearances, and making clearances you'd expect to be tackles. He did a lovely turn in the second half where he cut 2 of their players out of the game. In short apart from that daft pass he was absolutely mint.

Geremi: 6.5 Tried hard, had a decent shot second half, hes still slow but he seems to get away with it more at this level

Smith: 7 Some bad, some good. Not as good as he is when we play away, and not as bad as he was against Sheff Wed. A lot more involved, and made some good challenges.

Barton: 6 Better as the match went on, lacking pace a little, and seems slightly unfit, some poor passes.

Guthrie: 8. Absolutely bossed it when we had the ball, not the best at winning it back, but when we had it he was his usual neat and tidy self, but with some surging runs that were not used to, some lovely skill and a raker of a goal.

Nolan: 7: Got in some very good positions but should have buried at least one of his few chances.

Ranger: 9 MOTM: Forget the hype, make no mistake he was mint. Got more and more confident as the match went on and was excellent with his hold up play. Needs to get into more goal scoring positions, but you can see he has it in him. You can just feel it.

Subs: 6: All pretty much anonymous.

Seems a lifetime ago since I watched him playing for Hartlepool.

He was their best player today, helped by the fact that the rest of his team were crap but he has this incredible physical presence that caused us alot of trouble, Smith did very well in containing him imo.

Smith did nowt with the ball yet wins a few eye catching tackles and gets motm, what a f***ing joke

He shouted a fair bit.

He spent the entire game battling with Steve Howard tbh, needless Smith hate. He did well imo.

what's your point?

Howard was quiet, except that one chance where he beat Saylor from an corner. Think Smith might have something to do with that!

Guest north shields lad

if we keep enrique, r taylor, nolan and guthrie, then we should....be ok, and in fact hate to say it but Barton  :rant:

Guest icemanblue

if we keep enrique, r taylor, nolan and guthrie, then we should....be ok, and in fact hate to say it but Barton  :rant:

We'll definitely need more than five players, like.

Nope. 35,000+ at this level is immense, especially for a Monday night game live on Sky.

Agreed. 35,000 - that beats the weekend turnouts at the likes of Bolton, Villa, Wigan, Portsmouth, Wolves, Fulham and Birmingham

Who were the 3 blokes who came on at half-time?

Athletes, had been at Gateshead Stadium. Marlon Devonish was one of them, can't remember the other two.

the blonde lass was fit as :D

I've just got back home now, decent match but you could tell we needed a proper striker to partner nile like but he did well, had some sweet touches. I was near the corner flag pitchside and so I saw Guthries super strike smash the back of the net, me and my mate went totally nuts :lol:

Rain was pretty bad at times but had a great time.

One thing that had us pissing ourselves laughing was at a free kick in the 2nd half in their area, stephen taylor was gettin pushed out a bit in the penalty area, so as ryan taylor knocked the ball in, stephen nipped their players arse proper hard (not gay) to put him off, was so fuckin funny :lol: legend, nearly scored too. harper also takin the mick out of one of the tiny ballboys was funny too  :thup:

Anyone on here get caught in the rain just before the match? It was unreal, Ive never seen anything like it in me life. It was just like a huge wall of water, everyone was running for cover. Hilarious at the same time like, some pissed kid ran straight into a bollard:D. He took one right in the nads and ended up in a heap on the floor with one of his shoes off haha.

Anyone on here get caught in the rain just before the match? It was unreal, Ive never seen anything like it in me life. It was just like a huge wall of water, everyone was running for cover. Hilarious at the same time like, some pissed kid ran straight into a bollard:D. He took one right in the nads and ended up in a heap on the floor with one of his shoes off haha.

Yes i was in a foul mood for the first 20 minutes , absolutely sopping wet. There was some lightning across the sky too when i got up to level 7 which was very pretty .

Worst part of that match was watching Ashley laughing like he didn't have a care in the world.  Fucking bastard.

Of course he's happy though, he's had to do precisely nothing this summer and we're top of the league.

I parked on Claremont Road and was running past the RVI when it was heaviest. The drains were all backed up and I was inches away from running straight into a huge lake by the kerb. Did my best Jonathan Edwards to avoid it, it was a good three or four inches deep.

plus who were the 2 love birds in front of Ashley , was it Ashley's Daughter taking her new boyfriend to the match . Nice way to introduce the in laws.

BF:Hew pet , who is this fat cockney bastard they talk about?

MA Daughter: Its one of their fans  :rolleyes: