Cardiff City vs Newcastle United 13/9/09 Pre Match Thread - 2:05 KO, live on Sky

LiquidAK

I'd happily start Carroll and Vuckic, or one of them with Nolan

Ranger and Vuckic have 1 start between them, not a good idea to go with that against one of the best teams in the league

Well I'd rather start Ranger than Caroll as we are bound to play a 4-5-1 type system and I think Nile is miles better at that lone striker role.

With all of our midfeild non of them are really creative if at all so Vuckic gets the nod and at times the "unknown" bit really helps as they will have no idea what these lads can do.

Guest toonlass

Ranger and Vuckic have 1 start between them, not a good idea to go with that against one of the best teams in the league

Carroll is hardly the most experienced striker in the world is he? And Lovenkrands will still be trying to get his fitness up, as he hasn't played any games since May.

Carroll is hardly the most experienced striker in the world is he? And Lovenkrands will still be trying to get his fitness up, as he hasn't played any games since May.

lets not get silly and forget the the Leicester game represented our weakest attacking performance.

If Lovenkrands does well in training, then yeah, start him

I expect Carroll will start with Nolan just behind as usual, hopefully loven will be fit to go upfront to. Unlikely he'll be giving the kids a run out from the start & wouldnt want him to.

Far better to go for players that have consistantly played at a standard above the other teams, than kids who COULD be even better than that. As they could also do worse. Certainly wouldnt risk it in this game anyway.

If we start with Ranger and Vuckic we will get our arses handed to us. They will definitely score IMO, so we need at least two goals to win and throwing two youngsters in won't help things.

Harper

Simpson Taylor Colo Enrique

Taylor Smith Guthrie Barton

Nolan

Carroll

Subs:

Krul, Lovenkrands, Ranger, Geremi, Butt, Kadar, LuaLua.

(Based on Lovenkrands not being fit to start)

If we start with Ranger and Vuckic we will get our arses handed to us. They will definitely score IMO, so we need at least two goals to win and throwing two youngsters in won't help things.

Harper

Simpson  Taylor  Colo  Enrique

Taylor  Smith  Guthrie  Barton

Nolan

Carroll

Subs:

Butt on the bech ahead of Vuckic  :dowie: :dowie: :facepalm:

Harper

Nolan

Carroll

Subs:

Bags of Pace in that team tbh.

Harper

Nolan

Carroll

Subs:

Butt on the bech ahead of Vuckic

What's the point of putting down what we hope for if it's nothing like what Hughton will pick?

There's no way in hell that a fit Nicky Butt will be out of the squad

Harper

Nolan

Carroll

Subs:

(Based on Lovenkrands not being fit to start)

That team is slower then dot cottons vibrator.

Fuck I forgot about Lovleypants  :frantic:

----------------------Harper

Simo-------Tayls----------------Colo--------Jose

----------------------Smith

Guthrie-----Barton-----------Nolan----------Loven

----------------------Ranger

Sorry Harris

Harper

Simpson      Taylor      Colo    Enrique

R Taylor  Guthrie  Smith  Nolan  Barton

Carroll

With Guthrie and Nolan pushing up to support. Is what he'll play imo.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun//tm_headline=guthrie-warns-cardiff-we-will-fight-to-stay-top%26method=full%26objectid=24654780%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

Guthrie warns Cardiff: We will fight to stay top

Sep 10

DANNY GUTHRIE has warned Cardiff City that they “face a fight” if they are to knock Chris Hughton’s Magpies off the top of the Coca-Cola Championship.

The battling midfielder has revealed that the Toon players gathered together hours before their clash with West Bromwich Albion in the season opener at the Hawthorns and vowed as one to take no prisoners during the campaign by winning the second tier title.

A sell-out crowd in Cardiff awaits Hughton’s troops and many have deemed this an acid test for Newcastle’s title-winning credentials.

However, a defiant Guthrie told the Chronicle today: “On day one we got together and decided we’d have a real good go at this, and the togetherness and camaraderie around the group has been there for everyone to see on the pitch.

“We want to win the league.

“Every game seems to be difficult in this league.

“But you have to compete and show a lot of togetherness, which we are doing.”

Great attitude and this is the sort of approach we need to let these teams looking to do a spot of giant killing know what they are in for.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

This is what I can most likely see Hughton doing. He won't play Ranger now he has Carroll back

Harper

Simpson         Taylor         Coloccini      Enrique

Barton            Butt            Smith           Guthrie

Nolan

Carroll

Butt will walk back into the team because he's captain regardless on his performance or anyone elses. Guthrie will probably play out wide on the left again and it will be a 50/50 between Barton and R.Taylor.

I reckon it could be:

-------------------------Harper-------------------

Simpson-----Taylor-------Colo------------Enrique

Guthrie----Butt---------Smith----------R.Taylor

--------------------Nolan-------------------------

-------------------Carroll-----------------------

Not that I agree with that team one bit like. I've got a feeling that he will drop Barton though. It looks like Butt is coming straight back into the team and theres no way he will drop Smith or Nolan. Guthrie has got a couple of goals recently so I think the only decision he will be thinking about it Barton or Taylor. Barton is our best midfielder when on form, but he played poor against Leicester and he has already been on the bench this season. I think he likes R.Taylor as well and he will probably want him on the pitch for set pieces.

With our lack of width I really wouldn't mind seeing us go:

------------------------------Harper--------------------------

Simpson------Taylor---------------Colo------------Enrique

--------------------------Smith-----------------------------

--------------Guthrie-------------Barton-------------------

------------------------Nolan------------------------------

---------------Ranger--------Carroll-------------------

It will never happen though. If Lovenkrands is anywhere near fit then him ahead of Ranger.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun//tm_headline=guthrie-warns-cardiff-we-will-fight-to-stay-top%26method=full%26objectid=24654780%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

Guthrie warns Cardiff: We will fight to stay top

Sep 10

DANNY GUTHRIE has warned Cardiff City that they “face a fight” if they are to knock Chris Hughton’s Magpies off the top of the Coca-Cola Championship.

The battling midfielder has revealed that the Toon players gathered together hours before their clash with West Bromwich Albion in the season opener at the Hawthorns and vowed as one to take no prisoners during the campaign by winning the second tier title.

A sell-out crowd in Cardiff awaits Hughton’s troops and many have deemed this an acid test for Newcastle’s title-winning credentials.

However, a defiant Guthrie told the Chronicle today: “On day one we got together and decided we’d have a real good go at this, and the togetherness and camaraderie around the group has been there for everyone to see on the pitch.

“We want to win the league.

“Every game seems to be difficult in this league.

“But you have to compete and show a lot of togetherness, which we are doing.”

Great attitude and this is the sort of approach we need to let these teams looking to do a spot of giant killing know what they are in for.

Guthrie :smitten:

Keep the same defence as against Leicester. Why?

Collocini has just flown a million miles or so for nothing whlst watching his country lose both games. He may not be 100% on the ball for Cardiff. Also, Simpson is quicker, more mobile and the same size as Chopra. Appoint Simmo the job of man marking Chopra, Taylor can take care of the big lad.

I would play 4.4.1.1 with Nolan in behind Ranger, Carroll on the bench (wont be fit enough to play a full game) Midfield of Guthrie, Barton, Smith, Lua Lua (we need his pace).