Anyone still want Shearer?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Roger Kint

For the 15.2% who want Hughton

see Glenn Roeder

The players are playing for themselves, period. They have had their reputations ruined by failing to avoid relegation. As soon as we have a bad run, you will see why Hughton is only a coach

Am in that group and my choice was based on continuity until at least January/end of the season depending on a takeover. We have seen what constant upheaval can cause.

see Glenn Roeder

The players are playing for themselves, period. They have had their reputations ruined by failing to avoid relegation. As soon as we have a bad run, you will see why Hughton is only a coach

I don't believe Hughton is a long term answer, but while the club is officially up for sale he might as well continue the job if he's getting the results. What are the alternatvie options?

see Glenn Roeder

I don't believe Hughton is a long term answer, but while the club is officially up for sale he might as well continue the job if he's getting the results. What are the alternatvie options?

He's fine for the Championship but the Roeder comparison is a good one.

We're effectively the equivalent of the Real Madrid galacticos in this league and any old idiot would be expected to get us promoted. However, if we're back in the Premiership next season, we need an experienced and proven modern manager. Not Shearer. Not 90s men like Kinnear and Keegan and not coaches like Hughton but a proper manager.

He's p*ssed on his chips now but Steve Bruce last season would have been a good choice and would have kept us up.

see Glenn Roeder

He's fine for the Championship but the Roeder comparison is a good one.

We're effectively the equivalent of the Real Madrid galacticos in this league and any old idiot would be expected to get us promoted. However, if we're back in the Premiership next season, we need an experienced and proven modern manager. Not Shearer. Not 90s men like Kinnear and Keegan and not coaches like Hughton but a proper manager.

He's p*ssed on his chips now but Steve Bruce last season would have been a good choice and would have kept us up.

Don't think that was Bruce's fault tbf. He would have come here if he'd been given the opportunity but he wasn't and now it's too late.

At the time I was very taken with almost all that Shearer was doing...bar the results. Looking back just at the stats now it's easy to forget this, particularly since we've won a few relatively easy games on the trot now.

Haven't read the thread but I bet everyone's gone off Shearer now.

Stick with Hughton alone  33 (15.3%)

Bring Shearer in as manager  144 (67%)

Appoint someone else  38 (17.7%)

People always vote the opp of what they say in the thread.

Vic left ages ago.

Vic left ages ago.

:colo:

I have a mixed response.

Of all the people I have heard of that actually -want- the job, Shearer is the one I'd prefer.

But.... I'd prefer we get someone with more experience and potentially more talent (I say potentially more because Shearer is completely unproven).

So, for example, if the choices were Shearer or Kinnear I'd want Shearer.  But if the choices were Shearer or Hitzfeld I'd want Hitzfeld.

I have a mixed response.

Of all the people I have heard of that actually -want- the job, Shearer is the one I'd prefer.

But.... I'd prefer we get someone with more experience and potentially more talent (I say potentially more because Shearer is completely unproven).

So, for example, if the choices were Shearer or Kinnear I'd want Shearer.  But if the choices were Shearer or Hitzfeld I'd want Hitzfeld.

I don't think many people would want Shearer over Hitzfeld. It's pretty much irrelevant though.

I have a mixed response.

I don't think many people would want Shearer over Hitzfeld. It's pretty much irrelevant though.

except 30,000 odd who go to the game

I have a mixed response.

except 30,000 odd who go to the game

Moot point though isn't it. If we had our choice of some of the world's top managers I don't think there'd be much clamouring for Shearer. Granted, there probably would be some.

All this 'inability to work with Barton' stuff is horseshit!

The facts of the matter were that Barton made a petulant tackle that resulted in a straight red card meaning he could play no further part in the run in. Shearer was frustrated because he knew how important Barton was in the run in. What should he have done

'Its ok Joey everyone makes mistakes, dont worry about the fact that you are now banned from the run in'

He faced up to what it was which was inexcusable. He told Barton exactly what he thought, something Hughton would not do in a million years. JFK would have probably applauded Barton for showing the c*** who's boss.

I WILL NOT HAVE ANYONE TAKE THE PISS OUT OF THIS CLUB

This sticks out to me like a sore thumb. Duff who has worked under Mourinho said Shearer was top drawer. This when he was not a guaranteed starter. This speaks volumes for me. Beggars belief that anyone can not want Shearer.

It beggars belief that anyone calling themselves 'sicko2ndbest' would want a failed manager back to have another go.

You need to face a few facts.

1 If Shearer had went to any truly big club in 1996 would that club have begged him to extend his contract so he breaks the club record, despite winning nothing else?

OR

2 Do you think Fergie would have peddled him after the edge went off his game ?

The whole reason we are second best is clinging onto people like Shearer. Don't forget he had a big part to play in Bobby getting the sack.

It's time to finally wash our hands of this guy and move on as a club.

I think you've got a major point there 2sheds, I love Shearer but we should have moved him on when he was a player, and we should be looking at proven managers.

Our club has massive potential, we could easily be as big as someone like Man Utd. With Shepherd, Hall and Keegan firmly in the past we should be looking to bring someone in to take us to the next level.

Perfect scenario - with promotion secured and a new owner in place I would think managers would be falling over themselves to get into the hotseat, no?

Why should we have sold Shearer as a player ???

What I mean is that the top clubs move their players on when they're past their best. Shearer did a lot for us but there came a point when he was no longer top class.

You could argue we weren't a top class club, but that's another thread!

The facts of the matter were that Barton made a petulant tackle that resulted in a straight red card meaning he could play no further part in the run in. Shearer was frustrated because he knew how important Barton was in the run in. What should he have done

'Its ok Joey everyone makes mistakes, dont worry about the fact that you are now banned from the run in'

He faced up to what it was which was inexcusable. He told Barton exactly what he thought, something Hughton would not do in a million years. JFK would have probably applauded Barton for showing the c*** who's boss.

This sticks out to me like a sore thumb. Duff who has worked under Mourinho said Shearer was top drawer. This when he was not a guaranteed starter. This speaks volumes for me. Beggars belief that anyone can not want Shearer.

It beggars belief that anyone calling themselves 'sicko2ndbest' would want a failed manager back to have another go.

1 If Shearer had went to any truly big club in 1996 would that club have begged him to extend his contract so he breaks the club record, despite winning nothing else?

OR

The whole reason we are second best is clinging onto people like Shearer. Don't forget he had a big part to play in Bobby getting the sack.

"failed manager"...what after 8 games?

Do i think Fergie would have peddled him after the edge went off his game ? Not sure, but he did sign Owen!

Guest sicko2ndbest

OR

Stopped reading after 'failed manager' tbh. Managers these days are judged on the dealings more than anything else which pretty much blows your suggestion out of the water

Scholes isnt as effective as he used to be, does Fergie peddle him out, no! Shearer still did a good job for the team during his final years, even though his pace limited his effectiveness compared to how he used to be. Had the management at the time kept Bellamy or someone of his like (not including Owen as by that point his game wasnt about pace) he would have been very effective. His contract extention was nothing to do with records!

If Shearer gets appointed and he is given free rein for 4-5 years i have no doubt that we will be challenging the top end of the premiership again!

OR

Stopped reading after 'failed manager' tbh. Managers these days are judged on the dealings more than anything else which pretty much blows your suggestion out of the water

Scholes isnt as effective as he used to be, does Fergie peddle him out, no! Shearer still did a good job for the team during his final years, even though his pace limited his effectiveness compared to how he used to be. Had the management at the time kept Bellamy or someone of his like (not including Owen as by that point his game wasnt about pace) he would have been very effective. His contract extention was nothing to do with records!

If Shearer gets appointed and he is given free rein for 4-5 years i have no doubt that we will be challenging the top end of the premiership again!

I think if that happens in 4-5 years you'll still be sick.

EDIT - I was going to leave it at that but the players you name are absurd comparisons. Shearer would have foolowed the path of Cole, Van Nistelrooy or Dwight Yorke - show the door when they became 2nd best.

As for Scholes he is a SQUAD player, not an automatic first choice for the team.

Owen is a good piece of business because:

A he cost them nothing as opposed to the £17 million we shelled out

B He's on a fraction of the wages we were paying him.

BTW do you seriously think Owen will be allowed to finish his career at Old Trafford or will he be moved on if he doesn't come up to scratch for them?

Also if the contract extention had nothing to do with records can you tell me what else Shearer has actually achieved here?

OR

"failed manager"...what after 8 games?

Do i think Fergie would have peddled him after the edge went off his game ? Not sure, but he did sign Owen!

On a free.

As a squad player.