Anyone still want Shearer?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think Hughton would be even more annoying than Roeder if he was appointed full time manager and things went wrong. He's far too nice and I'd feel like punching the screen if he came on telly with his post match interview making excuses and filling us with bullshit. I appreciate what he is doing though. Can't believe anyone would want him as permanent manager. Without trying to be disrespectful, who would want to come and sign for him if we went back up? He just hasnt got the overall package to be a manager.

I think Hughton would be even more annoying than Roeder if he was appointed full time manager and things went wrong. He's far too nice and I'd feel like punching the screen if he came on telly with his post match interview making excuses and filling us with bullshit. I appreciate what he is doing though. Can't believe anyone would want him as permanent manager. Without trying to be disrespectful, who would want to come and sign for him if we went back up? He just hasnt got the overall package to be a manager.

Roeder got stick for being like a schoolteacher, Hughton doesn't even qualify as that tbh.

Guest Dunster

I was behind the Shearer appointment at the time last season if only because we were drifting alarmingly and some sort of pick-me-up was essential.  It's probbably not fair to judge somebody's mangerial capability based on the television articulation, but his uninspiring pundit performances didn't set my pulse racing in terms of his tactical insight.  But I just hoped, big character that he still is, that he could motivate the players to scrape a few dodgy wins to keep us up.  Well we all know how that turned out.

I don't attribute much blame to big Al for us ultimately going down, most of that belongs the players in my eyes, and I'm certainly not writing him off as a manager but I'd much prefer a more expereinced and more tactically astute manager to come in in an ideal scenario.  To be honest though I can't help but think that Shearer is the only realistic option.  Rightly or wrongly the perception of others is that Shearer is the preferred choice here, he is revered by all fans and his presence and influence dominate the club whoever is in charge in the dugout.  I think it'd take a big character not only to agree to come here under that sort of pressure, but to keep focus if a few results don't go well and sections of the crowd start calling for Al, or even KK (which would inevtiably happen, if only by a minority but experience tells us how the press would spin it).  Sometimes I think Shearer should just be stuck in asap and we can find out whether he's the next Bobby or not manger material - either way I'm not sure how well we'll progress until he's given a shot.  And to be honest I'd rather he learnt the trade with us in the Championship rather than the Premiership, where everything is much more intense.

As for Hughton, well it's hard not be impressed with what he has done under the circumstances and he's earnt a lot of respect from me and others I should imagine.  But in my opinion it's important to replace him with a manger now and keep Chris as coach.  The longer he goes on and does well, the harder it is to replace him further down the line.  You'd have to feel that you'd have to give him the permanent reigns.  Basically it'd be exactly the same as what happened with Roeder, and would backfire even if it was a year down the line.  But definitely keep him at the club, he has a lot of value.

Think the good start is really cloduing a lot of people's judgement here towards the Championship.  It's such a long season in this league and usually they'll be several teams over the cause of the season who look like they might run away with it but slip up and hit a bad run.  Our squad is so vulnerable should one or two knocks be picked up and we could find ourselves spiralling.  Promotion is no where near the given some folk are thinking it is.  Needless to say the start we've made us far beyond my expectations back at the start of August.

Fuck me what a ramble.

I don't necessarily want Shearer as our manager but now that he's had a taste so-to-speak, most fans will want him in full time for one reason or another.  I'd rather he get the job now that we're in the Championship and even if he does suck as a manager we can still relatively walk the league and hope that he learns from the mistake he will undoubtedly make over the course of this season.  He'd be out in the first six months of us being in the Prem but at leas the Shearer cloud would no longer reign over NUFC.

Guest Stephen927

Agree with everything except the first sentence.

Guest Heneage

Can I ask what Shearer's done to justify getting the job?

He's a geordie, innit.

As am I. I've also won all of Europe's major league titles on FM.

Guest guinness_fiend

After he has proven himself in the lower leagues, yes.  We are not an experiment.  We need experienced (tactical) hands behind the wheel.

Guest Heneage

Can I ask what Shearer's done to justify getting the job?

Probably as much as any manager does when they get their first crack at management.

How? Has he done coaching I'm unaware of? Has he assisted a current manager prior to this job?

He's got good potential as a manager and - as Burnip says - he's one of only two people that would be given time by a large number of fans.

But I wonder now whether he's missed the boat. In life, you have to take your opportunities while they're there, and his attitude seemed to be that he would only take the job permanently if his masterplan was agreed. The players have responded to Houghton and we're doing well, so it won't be straightforward now for him to walk back into the job and run things his way. The players who have stayed behind and weathered the crisis might not welcome him with open arms like before. Shearer should have just said that he was interested in the permanent job, and left it at that.

The alternative thought process is that the players are willing at the moment because they're still expecting (or hoping for) Shearer to come in and/or things to change one way or another. They're trying to impress.

Will they still be responding to Hughton in a couple of months?

As long as we keep winning and sit at the top of the league or there abouts, I imagine they will.  If times get tough, then I'm not so sure.

I think this is the main reservation about Hughton. He seems a softly spoken character and not a natural at firing people up or kicking ass in times of trouble. I imagine it's why he's chosen to be a coach rather than a manager. He seems to be growing in confidence, but I have my doubts about whether he's going to be a good long term bet.

One problem with a coach becoming a manager is the relationship that they have with the players. A coach is not as distant as a manager, and at first that extra bit of palliness can be a help in drawing everyone together. That's what happened with McFaul and Roeder at first, and now Hughton.

The trouble then comes when the manager has to bring new players in, and drop his old mates. They then feel they've been let down by someone who they put into the job.

It's a tricky decision, but on balance I'd now go for Hughton providing he really wants the job and is prepared to adjust to the new role. I don't think Shearer did himself any favours a few weeks ago before the WBA game, when he talked publicly about the limitations of certain players.

After he has proven himself in the lower leagues, yes.  We are not an experiment.  We need experienced (tactical) hands behind the wheel.

yeah indeed! you must also think Barcelona were right mugs for getting Josep Guardiola as boss! I mean they are no experiment either!

yeah indeed! you must also think Barcelona were right mugs for getting Josep Guardiola as boss! I mean they are no experiment either!

Even Guardiola had more expierence than Shearer.

Even Guardiola had more expierence than Shearer.

please tell me about those experiences? which club? league? how many games? :)