Marlon Harewood

Dave

I like the sentimentality regarding the number 9 shirt tbh. So fuck if no one else does. I used to get a right buzz as a little'un whenever i played for my local team and managed to nab the number 9 shirt. Even if i was at left-back or something.

Why haven't we confirmed this yet? ???

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10265~1807349,00.html

Harewood Loan Move

Villa can confirm Marlon Harewood has joined Newcastle United on loan.

The striker heads to the Championship side on a three-month loan deal.

Especially odd, as we seem to find out about most transfer dealings on the club website under this regime. This has been one of the longest transfer sagas we've had that actually came to fruition.

Guest Roger Kint

Sure let's just give Geordie boy Taylor the number 9 shirt.  Just like when Lothar Matthaus wore the number 10 even though he was a centre back.

As much as i respect an idiot in full flow.......

During his career, he usually played as an Attacking Midfielder or Defensive Midfielder, although later in his career he played as a Sweeper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothar_Matth%C3%A4us

it's a f***ing number, we need to move well away from the age of stupid sentimentality. After the last few 5 1/2 years that should be blatantly obvious.

What's it got to do with how the club is performing?  Unless Harewood says he won't move unless he gets the number 9 then I don't see a problem withholding it for a better player or a local lad. 

What problems have we had the in the past with numbers and sentimentality anyway?  I think you're on about crap like appointing Roeder etc. etc.  Nothing to do with an inanimate number...

Unless you go back to Shearer and Sir Les...

it's a f***ing number, we need to move well away from the age of stupid sentimentality. After the last few 5 1/2 years that should be blatantly obvious.

What's it got to do with how the club is performing?  Unless Harewood says he won't move unless he gets the number 9 then I don't see a problem withholding it for a better player or a local lad. 

What problems have we had the in the past with numbers and sentimentality anyway?  I think you're on about crap like appointing Roeder etc. etc.  Nothing to do with an inanimate number...

another stupid point with the modern game. the sooner limited squad size comes in and players have to be numbered accordingly the better.

Would you honestly give it to Shola? And then what, take it away from him when we get promoted, given that we all know he isn't worth the shirt in the big league, never mind the shirt with shiny no.9?

Would you honestly give it to Shola? And then what, take it away from him when we get promoted, given that we all know he isn't worth the shirt in the big league, never mind the shirt with shiny no.9?

You didn't answer my question.  :lol:  What problems have we had the in the past with numbers and sentimentality?  Especially in the last 5 1/2 years as you pointed out...

why not. i've seen plenty worse in it.

I wasn't being specific about numbers tbh, I was talking about the ridiculous sentimentality we attach to this club in general; Bobby not being sacked because we all love him, Shearer staying on 2 years longer than he should have, Keegan back, Keegan gone, Shearer in, Hughton out.

It's all counter-productive nonsense

missed my point

I couldn't care less who wears the f***ing thing, give it to Tim Krul for all I care. But if Frazzle is serious about the meaning of the shirt, why would he give it to a player who we all know doesn't perform in a league we're hopefull going to be part of in 11 months time?

I wasn't being specific about numbers tbh, I was talking about the ridiculous sentimentality we attach to this club in general; Bobby not being sacked because we all love him, Shearer staying on 2 years longer than he should have, Keegan back, Keegan gone, Shearer in, Hughton out.

It's all counter-productive nonsense

Fair enough, I agree with some of that stuff.  That's the sort of sentimentality that is bad and that I do want to avoid.  Man U fans make a big deal about their no.7 and we do/did with our no.9 and I don't see that much of a problem with carrying on (as long as it doesn't affect transfers/player happiness!).

Anyway, this is the last post on the matter, I don't see the point in arguing further.  :blush:

missed my point

I couldn't care less who wears the f***ing thing, give it to Tim Krul for all I care. But if Frazzle is serious about the meaning of the shirt, why would he give it to a player who we all know doesn't perform in a league we're hopefull going to be part of in 11 months time?

that would mean either harper,krul,steven taylor,enrique or jonas in the no.9 shirt.

why not just realise the aura is round goalscorers instead of the media driven bull of the no.9 shirt ?

The club's main CF should get the number 9 each year. Don't give a shit how popular/rated he might be, if he's the main man he should wear the #9. If it's Shola or Harewood then that's just indicative of the state of the club at the time.

The club's main CF should get the number 9 each year. Don't give a shit how popular/rated he might be, if he's the main man he should wear the #9. If it's Shola or Harewood then that's just indicative of the state of the club at the time.

:nods:

People probably don't even want it, for reasons stated by Ronaldo above.  When you boil it down - too much pressure in the #9 shirt.

In my opinion, number 9 goes to whoever wants it the most. A striker has to want to be a striker, and by nature they should be hungry and ambitious players. Whoever is ballsy enough to carry on the legacy of Newcastle's number 9 should get it, if you ask me.

(For Barça, our "big deal" shirt is #14 and there's a lot of seasons where it has gone unassigned)

In my opinion, number 9 goes to whoever wants it the most. A striker has to want to be a striker, and by nature they should be hungry and ambitious players. Whoever is ballsy enough to carry on the legacy of Newcastle's number 9 should get it, if you ask me.

(For Barça, our "big deal" shirt is #14 and there's a lot of seasons where it has gone unassigned)

Pardon my ignorance in the middle of the night, but what's up with your #14?