First eleven then...

Yorkie

I know these threads crop up quite frequently, but now it seems the squad has been sorta solidified, it's interesting to see people's perceptions on what the first eleven should be. With the whole squad fit and available, of course...

Harper

Simpson      Taylor      Coloccini      Enrique

Barton          Guthrie      Smith          Jonas

Ameobi      Lovenkrands

The annoyance is not having an out-and-out right-winger in the squad; and as far as i'm concerned, we're a better team providing that carthorse Ryan Taylor plays no part in it. The benefit, however, is having Barton, Guthrie and Smith all in the same team. That's three of our players who are arguably the best in the league at 'what they do'.

Harper

Simpson   S.Taylor   Coloccini   Enrique

Barton    Guthrie     Smith

Jonas

Ameobi   Lovenkrands

Agree with that, though possibly with Guthrie on the wing and Barton in the middle. Before the start of the season, I would've had Carroll in for Shola, but Shola's done enough for now to keep his place.

EDIT: Pilko, how come you'd put Jonas in the hole? Surely, if we're playing 4-3-3, he'd be the last of our midfielders who'd be suited for that role? Both Barton and Guthrie could play there, as they both can shoot and pick a pass, so they'd be dangerous. Smith could probably do a job there "defending from the front" as well as being somewhat of a target man, and Nolan would do the job he's done so far this season. I don't see how play Jonas in an advanced position would do him any good, unless you plan on him doing Maradona goals all the time with him running past both their defenders and their keeper.

Even though I've criticised Ryan Taylor a lot, without a proper right winger we aren't going to get much service from the right with that line up. Taylor is a pretty poor player but he does wing in a decent delivery now and then, so he might be worth considering at RB ahead of Simpson who looks purely a defender.

I know these threads crop up quite frequently, but now it seems the squad has been sorta solidified, it's interesting to see people's perceptions on what the first eleven should be. With the whole squad fit and available, of course...

Harper

Ameobi      Lovenkrands

The annoyance is not having an out-and-out right-winger in the squad; and as far as i'm concerned, we're a better team providing that carthorse Ryan Taylor plays no part in it. The benefit, however, is having Barton, Guthrie and Smith all in the same team. That's three of our players who are arguably the best in the league at 'what they do'.

Yes I would agree with that, bit of rotation between Guthrie and Barton throughout the game. Wouldn't want either of them stuck out there for long periods. Hopefully Simpson has the engine to overlap and the ability to cross.

Still have a bad feeling Butt will be a regular.

Harper

Jonas     Guthrie     Barton      Lovenkrands

Smith

Ameobi

Harper

Ameobi      Lovenkrands

Yes I would agree with that, bit of rotation between Guthrie and Barton throughout the game. Wouldn't want either of them stuck out there for long periods. Hopefully Simpson has the engine to overlap and the ability to cross.

Still have a bad feeling Butt will be a regular.

Agree with these posts.  :snod:

Harper

Jonas      Guthrie     Barton      Lovenkrands

Smith

Ameobi

I am not at all against giving Smith a go up front tbh. Maybe in the CCC he may get on the goal trail once again. However, if not, then he must play as the anchor, as he's done a great job so far. In that line up it would be Barton I'd push upfield, and if not then definitely Nolan.

Oh, and I personally don't think Jonas' best position is on the left wing despite his decent link up with Enrique.

Harper

Jonas      Guthrie     Barton      Lovenkrands

Smith

Ameobi

You've got Jonas on the wrong side and just because Smith has been near MOTM in a holding role doesnt mean he should automatically start.

The partnering of Barton and Guthrie in midfield should be our best option but if Jonas is not interested, those 4 could be a bit light defensively.

I would like to see that Midfield at some point, particularly at home. If you want to shoehorn smith in then alongside Ameobi isnt a bad shout. You could alternatively put Nolan in there, giving the midfield a bit more support when defending. With those 4 behind Ameobi and Nolan, you'd expect them to be making runs into the box anyway.

I think Butt is nailed on to start every game he's available for. At least until CH realises how shit he is.

Harper

Raylor Saylor Colo Enrique

Lovenkrands Butt Smith Jonas

Nolan

Ameobi

Please note: these are my views on what CH will do, not what I'd do.

If he drops both Barton and Guthrie then he's honestly clinically insane. I don't think he is.

I don't actually think Butt will walk straight back in actually. It'd be plain wrong. Hopefully he'll keep up these injury troubles anyway.

If he drops both Barton and Guthrie then he's honestly clinically insane. I don't think he is.

I don't actually think Butt will walk straight back in actually. It'd be plain wrong. Hopefully he'll keep up these injury troubles anyway.

I see Butt coming back in because of the outdated notion of captaincy. I expect Guthrie to be frequently used as the least important midfielder, first off the teamsheet.

Ha... Guthrie's just about my first one on it. Along with Taylor and Enrique. Those three are the ones that look an absolute cut above.

So happy we managed to hang onto all of them.

EDIT: And Jonas. And Harper probably. Got to have Coloccini and Shola in there aswell tbh. Lovenkrands will be pretty important too. Simpson's fairly vital aswell.

Harper

Simpson Taylor Colo Enrique

Taylor Guthrie Barton Jonas

Ameobi Lovenkrands

Subs:

Krul, Carroll, Smith, Nolan, Kadar, LuaLua, Ranger.

And that's a pretty decent team. On it's day, capable of tearing apart the Championship IMO.

Harper

Simpson    S.Taylor    Coloccini    Enrique

Guthrie    Smith  Nolan/Barton

Gutierrez          Ameobi          Lovenkrands

I find it impossible to choose between Nolan and Barton, for me Barton is a disgrace and should've been sold/sacked a long time ago, however, i've really not been impressed by Nolan since we signed him.  Barton is without a doubt, for me, the more talented footballer, but his temprement will always be a big issue.

Ha... Guthrie's just about my first one on it. Along with Taylor and Enrique. Those three are the ones that look an absolute cut above.

EDIT: And Jonas. And Harper probably. Got to have Coloccini and Shola in there aswell tbh. Lovenkrands will be pretty important too. Simpson's fairly vital aswell.

So everyone? :lol:

Despite R Taylor being a bit shit he's about as near to a right winger as we have. We're always going to be unbalanced with 3 of Barton, Guthrie, Nolan, Butt and Smith in the midfield. Guthrie even said in his post match interview against Leicester that he doesn't enjoy playing on the wings. For that reason i'd got for:

..............................Harper

Simpson.....Taylor............Collicini......Enrique

R Taylor......Guthrie........Smith......Jonas

..............Lovenkrands...Ameobi

That's what I was thinking. :lol:

Aye; we're unbeatable.