Premier League introduce home-grown quota and squad size limit

BlueStar

Premier League announce home-grown quota

The Premier League will introduce a squad cap of 25 players and a quota on home-grown players from next season, chief executive Richard Scudamore has confirmed.

More details

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hCgWgEui3VRspyI7cpX-Ok--sBFw

Maybe our diminutive squad has been planned all along to prepare us for the top flight next season  :crazy2:

New financial requirements as well, with transfer bans for those who break them or the squad rules

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8255784.stm

NEW FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS

Clubs must submit independently audited accounts to the Premier League by 1 March each year with requirements to note any material qualifications or issues raised by auditors

Clubs must submit future financial information to the Premier League by 31 March each year as early warning for any club taking undue financial risk

An annual requirement to demonstrate to the Premier League Board that a club does not have outstanding debts to other clubs

An annual requirement to demonstrate to the Premier League Board that a club is not in debt with regard to income tax or National Insurance and payroll taxes

would players like Clichy at arsenal, who have came through their youth system, count as home-grown? also after 5 years it is possible for foreign players to gain uk citizenship so we'll probably see a lot of players getting dual nationality.

5 English players is nothing for any club.

The squad size could be another thing... we have that in Spain but we cheat it a lot with youngsters registered for our feeder teams that are allowed to line up with the main squad (Jeffren for example played this weekend for Barça and is registered as a Barça Atlètic player).

Be interesting to see how Chelsea are going to get their squad sorted to fit the new rules by next year if they're banned from transfers for two years :lol:

It should be easy for them Lampard, A Cole, J Cole, Terry, Turnbull, Sturridge. Then there is chaps like Sinclair, Mancienne & Stoch.  Not sure about Anelka as he signed for Arsenal when he was 17 when signed but not sure if he did his 3 years.

You have to 8 homegrown players in your 25, not sure where 5 has come from.

I don't like this rule one bit.

Yeah all your hockey players in the NHL & soon all your best youngsters heading to English clubs.

Couldn't give a fuck about "our youngsters", the Swedish league has been shite for a long time, this won't change the quality of our league much.

I just want to see the quality of the players in the PL to be as good as possible, it really shouldn't matter where they come from or where they've been taught. It's a rather racist rule, IMHO.

Yeah all your hockey players in the NHL & soon all your best youngsters heading to English clubs.

Couldn't give a f*** about "our youngsters", the Swedish league has been s**** for a long time, this won't change the quality of our league much.

I just want to see the quality of the players in the PL to be as good as possible, it really shouldn't matter where they come from or where they've been taught. It's a rather racist rule, IMHO.

Question is, could we see a challenge on the grounds of the ECHR.

Couldn't give a f*** about "our youngsters", the Swedish league has been s**** for a long time, this won't change the quality of our league much.

Not sure how it is racist it adds pressure on the youth development to produce PL standard youngsters & on youth scouts to get the talent that is likely to achieve this from anywhere in the world.

The PL clubs have made these rules because it looks like they doing something major when in reality they are not.

Good start but it should be 8 players in each league from that country (sad state of affairs if clubs can't get 8 English players in a squad of 25) and Uefa should block English clubs poaching youngsters from abroad.

That would improve European leagues dramatically.

Question is, could we see a challenge on the grounds of the ECHR.

Not really as it is the 20 PL clubs themselves that have voted for this. It looks like they are doing this big thing without looking at squad lists I reckon most clubs are around that mark now. Why else would they vote for it.