Blackpool 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 16/09/09 - post match reaction from page 23

Dave

Just having seen the goals, the first goal was an error from Harper (should have been looking to push that round the post) but not a terrible one - very unlucky with where it landed. From listening to the radio it sounded like he was keeping us in it at times. Not seeing the game I can't really comment on how individuals performed, but having Nolan, Geremi and Butt on the field at the same time is asking for trouble with their lack of pace and energy. Also a very tough ask for Carroll to play up top on his own after injury having seen how little support the midfield gave Ranger on Sunday. Our goal was very nice, lovely ball in and a good finish.

edit: the Butt bashing is massively ott on here from people who didn't see the game, but it did sound like we were allowing a lot more shots from distance last night than normal, one of which led to a goal.

I've not been the Butt critic the rest of you are, but the above comment on Smith's protection to the back four is spot on.

We'll have to face it, due to no action in the transfer market, and ridiculous constraints driving players to "lesser" clubs rather than here, and the 60% of poor quality rabble we have to rely on, it's going to be a very worrying season. Blackpool are NOT a strong side, ignore the Wigan win. Boro and WBA wouldn't have tried to scrabble a draw. They'd have taken the game to them, and won comfortably. Look - the wins we've had have proved not how good we are, but how BAD this division is.

Just having seen the goals, the first goal was an error from Harper (should have been looking to push that round the post) but not a terrible one - very unlucky with where it landed. From listening to the radio it sounded like he was keeping us in it at times.

Got to say I've not seen any of the highlights but this sounds very similar to what Harper did a few times last season, knocking the ball back into a dangerous position rather than batting it out of play.  Work on it lad, you're number one here now!

This result may just ground the players a bit, who (like a lot on here) think that this league will just present us with a victory every week as well as make the fat bastard realise that the squad DOES need some new faces brought in to compete in this league and sharpish. 

I also think it showed Ranger is a better lone striker than Carroll, not a put down of Carroll here but Nile will win the ball and hold it up until he gets support, Carroll will win all the flick ons but whats the point when its only flicked onto their CB's?

Carroll winning flick ons for Nile to run onto would work well thoug, 2 strikers puts more pressure on a defence and that adds pressure to the rest of the team..

Guest Stephen927

Hughton seems to think that because of Carroll's stature and ability in the air, that he would make a good lone target man. Carroll is far too slow and immobile to play the role up front on his own effectively.

We now have 2 fit strikers, so change the system and go with 2 up top. Surely that would make sense...

Our defence is not doing to bad at the mo but the worry is our midfield and attack no creativity at all and no pace or anyone able to take players on.

Enrique easily the best player we have.

Those fans blaming Butt last night, not sure if you watched the game but Barton and Guthrie were just as bad

Guest toonlass

Our defence is not doing to bad at the mo but the worry is our midfield and attack no creativity at all and no pace or anyone able to take players on.

Those fans blaming Butt last night, not sure if you watched the game but Barton and Guthrie were just as bad

Listening to the radio last night though, Enrique was getting a slating.

Guest Stephen927

Nobody who was posting on here last night at the time of the match saw the game, with maybe the exception of  Big Geordie. There was nothing on the internet available except a radio stream at NUFC.co.uk, or BBC Radio Newcastle if you're local.

The Butt bashing (hehe) is a bit daft when no one saw anything and others could have been just as bad as you say.

Will be a big indication of our season, how we respond to this defeat. Hopefully the confidence is robust enough to withstand the disappointment, and we won't collapse.

We need to go 100% positive in the next game and foget about trying to scrape 1-goal wins. Put two up front and get the pressure on the opposition.

Listening to the radio last night though, Enrique was getting a slating.

Did he? Not sure why as he defo saved us twice when they would of been one on one near the end if it was not for his pace getting out of trouble. One of the only players that the fans sang for last night, the fans were poor and it was pretty quiet. Their fans were very loud and all of their fans were singing.

It's a mystery to me why so many pundits and commentators seem not to rate Enrique. I rate him as probably our best player at the moment... luckily other clubs might be believing the press and not coming to buy him.

I was very surprised (and happy) we managed to hold on to him. Comfortably good enough for the top flight.

Guest toonlass

It's a mystery to me why so many pundits and commentators seem not to rate Enrique. I rate him as probably our best player at the moment... luckily other clubs might be believing the press and not coming to buy him.

I was very surprised (and happy) we managed to hold on to him. Comfortably good enough for the top flight.

:thup:

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1799588,00.html

Big Andy Dedicates Goal To Baby Girl

By Craig Hope

THE script appeared written for new dad Andy Carroll 40 minutes into Wednesday's game at Blackpool as, back in the side after a four-game absence, he headed United in front before wheeling away to mark the birth of his baby girl with a thumb-sucking celebration.

Sadly, though, for United and Carroll, The Tangerines had a plot of their own and came from behind to win thanks to goals from Brett Ormerod and Jason Euell.

And, after the game, Geordie striker Andy told nufcTV: "I was over the moon to be back in the side and then to score the goal just a day after becoming a dad.

"But, in the end, the result wasn't what we wanted and we weren't at our best throughout the whole game really.

"It was better second-half but they probably deserved the win."

And, of his daughter, Carroll added: "I'm delighted, I just wish the goal for her had been a winning one.

"We haven't named her yet, just Baby Carroll for the time being.

"But she's been fine, she slept all night before the game which was good - she must have known I had a match!

"Hopefully, though, I can get another goal for her on Saturday against Plymouth."

Aww. :aww:

I've not been the Butt critic the rest of you are, but the above comment on Smith's protection to the back four is spot on.

We'll have to face it, due to no action in the transfer market, and ridiculous constraints driving players to "lesser" clubs rather than here, and the 60% of poor quality rabble we have to rely on, it's going to be a very worrying season. Blackpool are NOT a strong side, ignore the Wigan win. Boro and WBA wouldn't have tried to scrabble a draw. They'd have taken the game to them, and won comfortably. Look - the wins we've had have proved not how good we are, but how BAD this division is.

:thup: Finally some sense. Im all for wiping this game from memory and moving on, and I dont expect us to win every game, but its the manner of the defeat that really fucks me off. Yes we should be showing these teams respect but did we need to play a five man midfield with a lone striker? thats too much respect imo. Blackpool are not a good side we should have gone there expecting to win, with a 4-4-2, let lovenkrands and ranger have the first half together bring in carrol if needed, but lone striker ffs? This to me demonstrates that just like last season hughton is not cut out for management, great bloke, good coach, but no balls. To get out of this league we have to attack every team in every game, theres no "good draws" in this league.

Really disappointing to hear that Joey Barton still isn't cutting it, even at this level.

His antics aside, his playing career at Newcastle has been a big let down so far. Still no goals from open play?

This was always going to be the problem with Hughton, his lack of authority, Kevin Nolan said that they all still call him 'Chris'. This is the problem with the player democracy which we currently have, the leaders basically pick themselves, and Chris doesn't want to upset the tight morale the team have formed, so he plays individuals over a team, which is never going to work long-term.

Whats sad about it is we had a massive warning about the result of playing like that against Cardiff. They dominated the match after we scored possession wise & we still came away with a victory. It couldnt have been a luckier example of a formation not working. So what do we do as a result of being largely outplayed for most of the match, we play exactly the same tactics & formation against the next side. Then we lose as the opposition gets loads of possession & creates chances from that.

Its the same old basic nonsense. Attack is the best form of defence, when you have the ball the opposition doesnt. Same reason Jonas was such a key player for us & many didnt see that - if we have the ball we're on the front foot & they arent fullstop. Our failure is not passing the ball around simply, exactly the same as it was last season. It makes the midfield ineffective and we lose games & confidence.

Spot on.

When you've got no wingers, playing one up front is not going to work. A lone striker always needs support, and with three in central midfield this has to come from the wide players. When he hasn't got anyone who can beat a man and cross it in, or get to the byline and cut it back, and nobody making runs around him, your lone striker has got nothing to do but play it backwards all game. He can play it backwards and wait for the ball to work its way out wide, but he won't see it coming back into the box much when there's no wingers at all!

Having no wingers is going to be a constant problem, we badly need Gutierrez back. It is madness that we started the season with 1 winger and 2 centre backs at the club but we're making it harder for ourselves by playing with one up front against these kinds of teams. We have fit strikers, play them and play on the front foot, we're playing for promotion not mid-table.

This - haven't seen the game so cannot comment properly on the performance, but it was clear last Sunday that the side would struggle with just one main striker and no wingers.

Not too surprised as we were second best for much of the second half at Cardiff and as I said after that, the squad is too small and has weaknesses in vital positions.

Too many questions around the club and I won't make ANY comments as to whether the side is good enough for promotion until after Christmas.

Pleased for Carroll though - hope he continues to improve.

Whats sad about it is we had a massive warning about the result of playing like that against Cardiff. They dominated the match after we scored possession wise & we still came away with a victory. It couldnt have been a luckier example of a formation not working. So what do we do as a result of being largely outplayed for most of the match, we play exactly the same tactics & formation against the next side. Then we lose as the opposition gets loads of possession & creates chances from that.

Its the same old basic nonsense. Attack is the best form of defence, when you have the ball the opposition doesnt. Same reason Jonas was such a key player for us & many didnt see that - if we have the ball we're on the front foot & they arent fullstop. Our failure is not passing the ball around simply, exactly the same as it was last season. It makes the midfield ineffective and we lose games & confidence.

Spot on.

When you've got no wingers, playing one up front is not going to work. A lone striker always needs support, and with three in central midfield this has to come from the wide players. When he hasn't got anyone who can beat a man and cross it in, or get to the byline and cut it back, and nobody making runs around him, your lone striker has got nothing to do but play it backwards all game. He can play it backwards and wait for the ball to work its way out wide, but he won't see it coming back into the box much when there's no wingers at all!

Having no wingers is going to be a constant problem, we badly need Gutierrez back. It is madness that we started the season with 1 winger and 2 centre backs at the club but we're making it harder for ourselves by playing with one up front against these kinds of teams. We have fit strikers, play them and play on the front foot, we're playing for promotion not mid-table.

This - haven't seen the game so cannot comment properly on the performance, but it was clear last Sunday that the side would struggle with just one main striker and no wingers.

Not too surprised as we were second best for much of the second half at Cardiff and as I said after that, the squad is too small and has weaknesses in vital positions.

Too many questions around the club and I won't make ANY comments as to whether the side is good enough for promotion until after Christmas.

[bPleased for Carroll though - hope he continues to improve.[/b]

He was s****, Adreas Andersson would have scored that.  I love it how nobody pas any attention to how he actually played, Ranger would have been much better last night, at least Ranger runs Carroll just stands there thinking hes the dogs bollocks.

Really disappointing to hear that Joey Barton still isn't cutting it, even at this level.

His antics aside, his playing career at Newcastle has been a big let down so far. Still no goals from open play?

Dunno what we're supposed to expect from him when we're sticking him down the left, mind...

Dunno what we're supposed to expect from him when we're sticking him down the left, mind...

Exactly.  Try playing Steven Gerrard at right back, and we'll see how many he chips in for the Scousers.

Exactly, when our squad is sorted I'd still have him and smith in cm.  Jonas on the wing, a new winger on the wing and Ameobi and a hopefully Kamara upfront.

According to Sky Sports News this is our "harsh introduction to the championship".

What about the previous 6 unbeaten games...?

They kept dubbing it "a famous win for Blackpool" aswell and talking about it as if it was a giant killing. Funny as Boro's loss was hardly noted at the time aswell.

That's no excuse for his woeful passing and reading of the game. He relentlessly gave the ball away at Cardiff and the only time I saw him get stuck in was when he was aggreived at not having won a free kick. The talent's in there, I'm worried if we're going to see it or not.