The Not-so-Untouchable Nicky Butt

Decky

Was only a 1-year extension anyway. Really don't think he'll sign another. Was he as pitiful tonight as he was against Donny?

Yep. Passing put Kadar and Simpson in particular under pressure they didn't need. Total refusal to take responsiblity at times. As Ronaldo (I think?) said after one of our last games, Nolan looks every inch the captain.

Ronaldo did indeed say that. Pertaining to his attitude and willingness to take responsiblity on the pitch.

you'd think with a central midfield of butt and smith the plan woule be for smith to be the one to push on.......wrong. at least 3 times enrique broke down the left. got to 30yds out and held the ball up and alan smith (come on...between him and butt who should push on...he's an ex international forwrad and butt has been anall time defensive midfielder) wouldn't go beyond the centre circle even when he could see the gap,the space and the player needing support.

slag off nicky butt all you want. he's better in that position than alan smith.

you'd think with a central midfield of butt and smith the plan woule be for smith to be the one to push on.......wrong. at least 3 times enrique broke down the left. got to 30yds out and held the ball up and alan smith (come on...between him and butt who should push on...he's an ex international forwrad and butt has been anall time defensive midfielder) wouldn't go beyond the centre circle even when he could see the gap,the space and the player needing support.

The reason he doesn't go that far forward is because he understands the role of a defensive midfielder. Butt has played in that position all his life and still doesn't understand that you don't press the ball ridiculously high up the pitch as you can have the ball passed around you easy. I can't believe anyone still champions the cause of Nicky Butt.

Why blame Alan Smith for the ludicrous decision to play two holding midfielders?

The reason he doesn't go that far forward is because he understands the role of a defensive midfielder. Butt has played in that position all his life and still doesn't understand that you don't press the ball ridiculously high up the pitch as you can have the ball passed around you easy. I can't believe anyone still champions the cause of Nicky Butt.

you can see him look round and think that no one is pressing and we are just inviting the pressure back on. you can also watch him look round and see his midfield partners aren't going to move forwrads to support whoever has the ball up front. he knows he hasn't the legs to do it but has to try cos of the crapness of those around him.

are you seriously saying alan smith was better than butt tonight and that if anyone was playing a more defensive role who should it have been ?

you can see him look round and think that no one is pressing and we are just inviting the pressure back on. you can also watch him look round and see his midfield partners aren't going to move forwrads to support whoever has the ball up front. he knows he hasn't the legs to do it but has to try cos of the crapness of those around him.

are you seriously saying alan smith was better than butt tonight and that if anyone was playing a more defensive role who should it have been ?

Oh dear. Butt was terrible tonight. Absolutely terrible. The game pretty much passed him by.

Oh dear. Butt was terrible tonight. Absolutely terrible. The game pretty much passed him by.

you can change butt for smith and the post still works.....why do you reckon butt made the odd move forward. was it tactics or do you think he took repsonsibility as no f***er elde would......or has all season or last season come to that.

Guest firetotheworks

Butt.

I now dont need to say anymore, and whenever everything he represents happens, I will simply type 'Butt'

he was alright tonight

he wasn't. he was poor.  but he was no worse than the rest of the midfield and took more responsibility than  the rest.

The players who took responsibility were Coloccini, Enrique, Nolan and Carroll. Butt was a complete passenger.

By the way, it's entirely possible the tactic last night was to use 2 players holding, we've been losing away games lately and leaking goals, you know. It works well if you lots of creativity on the flanks by the wide men and the fullbacks. Obviously we're lacking in those areas other than with Enrique, but if the idea was to keep it tight it's likely both Smith and Butt were holding players, I can see no other reason for selecting Butt ahead of Guthrie in the middle.

he was alright tonight

he wasn't. he was poor.  but he was no worse than the rest of the midfield and took more responsibility than  the rest.

The players who took responsibility were Coloccini, Enrique, Nolan and Carroll. Butt was a complete passenger.

By the way, it's entirely possible the tactic last night was to use 2 players holding, we've been losing away games lately and leaking goals, you know. It works well if you lots of creativity on the flanks by the wide men and the fullbacks. Obviously we're lacking in those areas other than with Enrique, but if the idea was to keep it tight it's likely both Smith and Butt were holding players, I can see no other reason for selecting Butt ahead of Guthrie in the middle.

This is the problem with picking players on seniority first, gameplan second. I would reckon that 95% of the posters here would have known that before kick off yet hughton continues to pick ther names and then hope everything will just work out somehow. The midfield was a shambles, and it wasn't entirely Butt's fault. It should be him or Smith, never the two together.

he was alright tonight

i find it unlikely that we set out with a tactic of no-one getting forward from the middle at all and at under any circumstances. even nolan played further up than he normaslly does when playing with one recognised forward leaving a huge gap in behind which should havemy en filled by one of the other two.....smith in my opinion.

edit. i meant more responsibility than the rest of the midfield. i'll not include nolan as he played more up front than midfield.

Guest GAMMELL

Is this the same Nicky Butt who chipped Tim Howard from 25 yards in that 3-2 game 2/3 seasons ago?

Yes, was Le Tiss-esque.... Remember Emre's daisy cutter that day too  :pow:

Last night's first half was as bad as I've ever seen him (I've stuck up for him in the past). Horrendous. Improved in the second half, but then so did the team - massively. Have to say it's inviting teams on to us away from home - and inviting trouble - playing him and Smith together. Guthrie's no great shakes, but at least he has the energy to get from box to box if Smith simply sits in.

Last night's first half was as bad as I've ever seen him (I've stuck up for him in the past). Horrendous. Improved in the second half, but then so did the team - massively. Have to say it's inviting teams on to us away from home - and inviting trouble - playing him and Smith together. Guthrie's no great shakes, but at least he has the energy to get from box to box if Smith simply sits in.

Have to agree with all of that.

• 1 month later...